Man Facing Felony For Reading His Wife's E-Mail

I would suggest that with the new powers in relation to Cyber-Space, we are going to be seeing allot of weird shit come down.

Privacy law writer Frederick Lane tells the Detroit Free Press the law typically is used to prosecute identity theft and stealing trade secrets. He says he questions if a wife can expect privacy on a computer she shares with her husband.

I'm with this guy. My wife and I have side by side computers. We both have our email accounts set so that a password is not necessary to get in. If I wanted to, I could read her email and she can read mine. I don't see the problem.

(I have all my girl friends email me at work . . . ;))

privacy law writer frederick lane tells the detroit free press the law typically is used to prosecute identity theft and stealing trade secrets. he says he questions if a wife can expect privacy on a computer she shares with her husband.

i'm with this guy. My wife and i have side by side computers. We both have our email accounts set so that a password is not necessary to get in. If i wanted to, i could read her email and she can read mine. I don't see the problem.

(i have all my girl friends email me at work . . . ;))

lmao!

Michigan statute 752.795, which reads, in part:

"A person shall not intentionally and without authorization or by exceeding valid authorization do any of the following:

"Access or cause access to be made to a computer program, computer, computer system or computer network to acquire, alter, damage delete or destroy property or otherwise use the service of a computer program, computer, computer system or computer network."

He can receive up to 5 years in prison. If his wife's e-mail was not password protected he might have been ok but because she protected it she has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Privacy law writer Frederick Lane tells the Detroit Free Press the law typically is used to prosecute identity theft and stealing trade secrets. He says he questions if a wife can expect privacy on a computer she shares with her husband.

I'm with this guy. My wife and I have side by side computers. We both have our email accounts set so that a password is not necessary to get in. If I wanted to, I could read her email and she can read mine. I don't see the problem.

And don't forget the racy PM's at the USMB! :eusa_shhh:

"A person shall not intentionally and without authorization or by exceeding valid authorization do any of the following:

"Access or cause access to be made to a computer program, computer, computer system or computer network to acquire, alter, damage delete or destroy property or otherwise use the service of a computer program, computer, computer system or computer network."

He can receive up to 5 years in prison. If his wife's e-mail was not password protected he might have been ok but because she protected it she has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Thankies, zzzz!

how did he obtain the password, if she freely gave it to him, then she was allowing him access to her account

A corporation can give you access to information, but it is a crime to misues that access.

I used to have access to most of the telco records in the USA. However if I misused information gained from those records I was in deep federal crap.

And don't forget the racy PM's at the USMB! :eusa_shhh:

Yup.:cool:

A corporation can give you access to information, but it is a crime to misues that access.

I used to have access to most of the telco records in the USA. However if I misused information gained from those records I was in deep federal crap.
the point i was making is he didnt "hack" her account
thus i see nothing he did was illegal
if you violate your conditions of employment that is a totally different matter

They are saying that he used his computer knowledge to hack into her e-mail account.

it's easy enough for someone ''computer knowledge impaired'' such as myself to get the password of each account using the computer if you are the administrator....I think?

you click on 'control panel', then click on 'user accounts and family safety', then click on 'add or remove user accounts', then click on the user....i think you can retrieve the password there or at least get the ''hint'' for the password reminder....

i think the charge against him is simply BS.

There should be no real expectation of privacy if you are SHARING the computer with your spouse imho....if it was her own computer, that could be different....but the same one????

btw, is it against the law for me to open the regular mail addressed to the hubby? IF it is, then i am in big trouble....most of the bills just have his name on them and i open them every month to pay them.

They are saying that he used his computer knowledge to hack into her e-mail account.

it's easy enough for someone ''computer knowledge impaired'' such as myself to get the password of each account using the computer if you are the administrator....I think?

you click on 'control panel', then click on 'user accounts and family safety', then click on 'add or remove user accounts', then click on the user....i think you can retrieve the password there or at least get the ''hint'' for the password reminder....

There should be no real expectation of privacy if you are SHARING the computer with your spouse imho....if it was her own computer, that could be different....but the same one????

btw, is it against the law for me to open the regular mail addressed to the hubby? IF it is, then i am in big trouble....most of the bills just have his name on them and i open them every month to pay them.

Actually, yes it is, but only if you don't have his permission, unless something changed.

You can open my bills and pay them anytime Care.

Heck I would even trust you with my checkbook.

yes, of course i have Matt's permission to open the mail, whether addressed to him or not.... however, he has never said, ''you have my permission'', it is presumed....if i am paying the bills i open the mail, if he is paying the bills....he opens it.....
----------------------------------------

But i thought you were joined in to ONE when married....???

I can't be forced to testify against my husband in a court of law via the 5th Amendment, just as he can not be forced to testify against himself...(by pleading the 5th).....???

You can open my bills and pay them anytime Care.

Heck I would even trust you with my checkbook.

:thanks:

Forum List

Back