Man claims to defend himself with a gun.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
This is going to be a conundrum for a lot of our users.

Uber driver shoots and kills a male passenger on a Denver highway | Daily Mail Online

The man called to report the shooting right away after it happened. The car he was driving, his own, for Uber crashed during the altercation in which his story follows. Michael Hancock says that his passenger attacked him and he fired in self defense. Uber says that the drivers or riders are not allowed to be armed. Good luck with that.

Now, he called the police right away, and told them he had shot someone. Sounds like a reasonable action for someone defending himself. Then he refused to answer questions without a lawyer. Absolutely good advise. It is the same policy the cops have for their own in most states under the Law Enforcement Officers Bill of Rights.

So the police arrested him on charges of Murder.

So far, we have what appears to be a great good guy with a gun stops a crime story right? Well here comes the conundrum.

CABD5B4D-5B8C-4447-9FF0-458FACCE025C.jpeg

The man is Black. Which according to many of the we need guns to protect the world from criminals, when they mean minorities, is an automatic proof that he is guilty. They even claimed that Castillo was a raging criminal over traffic violations. Counting down to the same sort of asinine claim over Mr. Hancock.

I applaud Mr. Hancock in making sure he has a lawyer before answering questions. The Cops are not your friends. They are not interviewing you to help you, or to figure out what happened, they are absolutely trying to figure out how to get you into prison for years.

If Mr. Hancock fired in self defense, and so far I have no reason to believe he didn’t, then I am also glad he came through unharmed. Unlike many of my fellow 2nd Amendment Supporters, I think it applies to everyone, no matter what color they may be.

The only issue is whether Hancock acted in accordance with Colorado law pursuant to the use of deadly force in self-defense; not race.

Unfortunately for Hancock, Colorado law concerning the use of deadly force and duty to retreat applies only to dwellings such as one’s home or a motel room, not passenger vehicles.

There is no way to conclude anything from this story, other than that someone is dead and another admits having shot him. Technically innocent until proven guilty, the shooter is nonetheless rightly incarcerated for suspicion of murder. A jury will decide.
Uber riders may decide something, too.

Given that he was "at work", chances are he is probably telling the truth. I mean he crashed his car, which indicates he was being attacked by the passenger.

Given that he was "at work", chances are he is probably telling the truth. I mean he crashed his car, which indicates he was being attacked by the passenger.

Also he called the police right away. Waiting for a lawyer is just good sense.

Forum List

Back