Man Banned from Walmart

What property rights? I've already bought my merchandise, so I own that, and the receipt is also my property, so what property rights allows them to demand to see my property?

You are still on their property. They have a right to make sure you are leaving with only the items you purchased. If you don't like how they do business, you are perfectly free to shop elsewhere.

So what does that have to do with my rights? That's their problem.

Controlling their inventory means making sure you aren't stealing it. That is their right.

OK. What LAW allows them to require to view my property before exiting their building?

Asked and answered.

The do have that right to inspect or check as you leave the store.

According to what law or jurisprudence? Shopkeeper's privilege only allows them to detain you until law enforcement arrives and then only if they suspect you of shoplifting or attempted shoplifting - it does not allow them to search your person, only the police can do that.

You are correct. There is no law giving them the right to force you to do this. However, if you do not voluntarily oblige, then it is ALSO perfectly legal for them to tell you to GTFO and don't come back.

Srsly. Pick something else to make a stand on.

Indeed. I'm reminded of when the Bureaucrats at the EU went on strike to protest the lack of copier paper.

Oh.The.Courage.

According to what law or jurisprudence? Shopkeeper's privilege only allows them to detain you until law enforcement arrives and then only if they suspect you of shoplifting or attempted shoplifting - it does not allow them to search your person, only the police can do that.

You are correct. There is no law giving them the right to force you to do this. However, if you do not voluntarily oblige, then it is ALSO perfectly legal for them to tell you to GTFO and don't come back.

It was probable Spiderman Tuba that got caught. :lol:

We use Walmart for everyday things and Pharmacy. The nearest Commissary is about a 75 minute drive so we don't go that often, but when we do we take a cooler and stock up on meats. Might go down next week.......

o come on do you really think walmart bans anyone? what, they have pics at the door...greeters suddenly care....o my...what a fantasy world

I know they ban employees that steal. Permanent, I don't know, at least for quite a while.

Here's the thing about retailers banning people...

Do they check pics or anything like that? No, of course not. BUT, if for any reason they find out that a banned person was on their premises, they will prosecute for illegal trespass.

It's up to the banned person if they really want to risk that or not.

o come on do you really think walmart bans anyone? what, they have pics at the door...greeters suddenly care....o my...what a fantasy world

I know they ban employees that steal. Permanent, I don't know, at least for quite a while.

Do they check pics or anything like that? No, of course not. BUT, if for any reason they find out that a banned person was on their premises, they will prosecute for illegal trespass.

And this guy was a jerk whose business they can do without.

Usually depends on the offense. 1 year, 2 year, 5 year, forever.

My other job, we are in the process of "banning" someone for life. That is, after we prosecute them and throw them in prison for stealing $250k worth of material.

Pretty much. Of course their name may be in the system to alert a clerk if if a banned person is purchasing something.
Idiot might use their debit card? :)

This guy will probably enter some wal mart and try to sue them again.

Pretty much. Of course their name may be in the system to alert a clerk if if a banned person is purchasing something.
Idiot might use their debit card? :)

No system like that that I am aware of. We don't use it.

*shrug* like I said. It's up to the banned person whether or not they want to risk criminal prosecution.

What property rights? I've already bought my merchandise, so I own that, and the receipt is also my property, so what property rights allows them to demand to see my property?

You are still on their property. They have a right to make sure you are leaving with only the items you purchased.

Not by any means they choose. They have no right to conduct a search of any kind as a requirement of leaving the store.

If you don't like how they do business, you are perfectly free to shop elsewhere.
I'm afraid that's not how our legal system works. You have yet to show me the law or jurisprudence that allows shopkeepers to conduct searches of people as a requirement for leaving the store.

OK. What LAW allows them to require to view my property before exiting their building?

Asked and answered.

No. In fact you have quoted zero law on the issue.

I agree 100%.

Sounds like you're the one who needs to find a different conversation. You must be really bored, going around jumping into conversations to tell people its not worth talking about.

I must say that the wal mart near my house is absolutely the cleanest well stocked and best wal mart I have ever been in. Most look run down, and the shelves are messy and the place is gross. This store near me is like a nice department store.

You've never been in the ones here. Then again, I live in Walmart country. The stores here are more well maintained than the others. And anytime Walmart decides to implement a change, it is implemented here first. But our stores are amazing.

Forum List

Back