Making flan today

my mom's never had bubbles dammit lol.

Your caramel looks good - I learned the hard way (no pun intended) - don't stir, don't leave unattended. I just swirl the pan a little now and then. The last time I made flan in the oven it too turned out bubbly. I much prefer a creamy texture. A good friend of mine, originally from Cuba, makes hers in a double boiler, stove top on low. Another friend, also from Cuba makes hers in a double boiler but in the oven at 350 for I hour. I think a low cooking temp is key to a creamy texture.

Another tip that may help you coat the sides - don't let the caramel sit - have the custard ready to pour immediately over the caramel. I beat the eggs but then mix in the other ingredients by hand.

Flan is one of my favorite desserts. If you used hot water for the bath next time try room temp water.

ps - they both use the whole egg., so do I.

Your caramel looks good - I learned the hard way (no pun intended) - don't stir, don't leave unattended. I just swirl the pan a little now and then. The last time I made flan in the oven it too turned out bubbly. I much prefer a creamy texture. A good friend of mine, originally from Cuba, makes hers in a double boiler, stove top on low. Another friend, also from Cuba makes hers in a double boiler but in the oven at 350 for I hour. I think a low cooking temp is key to a creamy texture.

Another tip that may help you coat the sides - don't let the caramel sit - have the custard ready to pour immediately over the caramel. I beat the eggs but then mix in the other ingredients by hand.

Flan is one of my favorite desserts. If you used hot water for the bath next time try room temp water.

I did use a water bath. I didn't let the caramel sit, it went from heat directly to the plate and solidified almost instantly I really think it was a combo of too high/uneven heat. Mom says she cooked custards at 325. And the door was opened lil three times on the oven by various ppl.

I did use a water bath. I didn't let the caramel sit, it went from heat directly to the plate and solidified almost instantly I really think it was a combo of too high/uneven heat. Mom says she cooked custards at 325. And the door was opened lil three times on the oven by various ppl.

325 sounds good. I have two recipes and one says 350 for an hour and the other says 300 for an hour - interesting. I alternate between stovetop and oven with water bath (ps you don't want the water to boil) - and I think the low temp oven (300-325) turns out creamier flan. When you make it again post the results. :)

Yes the low temp is key because if it simmers there will be bubbles.

I always boil my egg custard (flan in English) and then remove from heat and pour it into serving cups.

No bubbles.

I tried my hand at flan again...lower temp and used yolks only in the custard. No bubbles this time BUT I made too much caramel. A little is goid so a lit is better, right? Not really, but it tastes yummy.

Forum List

Back