Making flan today

WP_20170408_002.jpg
Not this time though!

I adore caramel...but I'm not a Fan of the Flan.

Sea salt caramels, on the other hand....Yum!

So cook one cup of sugar over medium heat until it starts to turn syrupy and amber, then turn heat down and continue until it's all melted.

Pour into large pie plate, tip to coat. It hardens quickly, if you can get it up on the sides it's better but mine went solid right away, I was lucky to cover the bottom.

Turn oven to 350, put in pan large enough to contain water bath and pie plate.

beat four eggs until completely mixed and smooth. Pour 2 cans evaporated milk and two cans condensed sweetened milk into large bowl, add a Ts vanilla and pour in the eggs and stir together thoroughly. Pour into pie plate on top of caramel. Put in oven in water bath for an you or so.

You have to keep stirring on low heat. It's a pain.

That's just for caramel, as for egg custard, you're on your own. :p

<<Not a fan of flan. We have something better than that 'round heanh.

edit: Looks like you have the egg custard down.

:eek: I need to go put some eggs up.

Last edited:
bring out allow to cool. Place in fridge for a couple of hours. Use table knife to separate sides from pie plate then invert onto plate. Nom nom.

We had cows and goats when i was young. We always had custards. And often they were made in a wood stove. SO when I discovered flan I was an instant fan. A flan fan.

I'll be over about 6. I'll bring some of this turkey I'm about to smoke :beer:

So cook one cup of sugar over medium heat until it starts to turn syrupy and amber, then turn heat down and continue until it's all melted.

Pour into large pie plate, tip to coat. It hardens quickly, if you can get it up on the sides it's better but mine went solid right away, I was lucky to cover the bottom.

beat four eggs until completely mixed and smooth. Pour 2 cans evaporated milk and two cans condensed sweetened milk into large bowl, add a Ts vanilla and pour in the eggs and stir together thoroughly. Pour into pie plate on top of caramel. Put in oven in water bath for an you or so.
I'll bet if you soaked the pie plate in hot water or set it on the wood stove for a few minutes before adding the carmel, it would stay liquid long enough to coat the bottom and sides. No worries, though, it will drip down the sides when you take it out of the pan, anyway.

I'll bet if you soaked the pie plate in hot water or set it on the wood stove for a few minutes before adding the carmel, it would stay liquid long enough to coat the bottom and sides. No worries, though, it will drip down the sides when you take it out of the pan, anyway.
There is something that happens in the process of cooking, then cooling, with the custard that liquefies it so it runs down the sides when its inverted. But good flan makers get the sides coated before the custard is added. That's ok I'll get it next time

View attachment 120956
mmm flan, what time will it be served? :lol:
about an hour....has to chill.
I'll make some tomorrow morning.

It takes a lot of egg yokes.

I use the egg whites mixed with a whole egg for scrambled eggs.
that's a good idea...mom always said one egg per cup of milk, cream or half n half....we had all forms. And she didn't always separate the eggs but knew it was smoother without whites.

we had chickens too so we always had eggs...all colors, sizes.

Forum List

Back