Making Chimes is a Fun Hobby

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I was pricing chimes over the internet and the kind I want run over $200 and so I thought maybe I would just make my own.

In searching I found this video.

Impressive, to me, and the Hite website is very simple and straight forward.

DIY Tubular-Bell Chimes "Say It With Chimes"

So far, I have cut all the pipes to a six chime set that will have the Winchester chime sound. They all sound pretty cool. I painted one and will let it dry over night and will test to see if I applied the paint well enough to not lose any sound in the morning. It is amazing how clear the ring of a properly cut metal tube can sound.

But so far this is a blast and I look forward to seeing my first run, and when I feel comfortable enough, I plan to make for my and my wife's 30th marriage anniversary a beautiful wind chime set once I hear her reaction of a couple of months to the ones I am making now.

Last edited:
This is something I want to do to scare the deer
If you save some of your beard trimmings or hair cut trimmings and put it into little bags made from old panty hose, the scent will keep the deer away and most other wild animals for a few months.

I knew a guy from FT Smith Arkansas who said he did this to keep deer out of his moms vegetable garden.

I was pricing chimes over the internet and the kind I want run over $200 and so I thought maybe I would just make my own.

In searching I found this video.

Impressive, to me, and the Hite website is very simple and straight forward.

DIY Tubular-Bell Chimes "Say It With Chimes"

So far, I have cut all the pipes to a six chime set that will have the Winchester chime sound. They all sound pretty cool. I painted one and will let it dry over night and will test to see if I applied the paint well enough to not lose any sound in the morning. It is amazing how clear the ring of a properly cut metal tube can sound.

But so far this is a blast and I look forward to seeing my first run, and when I feel comfortable enough, I plan to make for my and my wife's 30th marriage anniversary a beautiful wind chime set once I hear her reaction of a couple of months to the ones I am making now.

Lovely! Perfect gift, Jim!

If you save some of your beard trimmings or hair cut trimmings and put it into little bags made from old panty hose, the scent will keep the deer away and most other wild animals for a few months.

I knew a guy from FT Smith Arkansas who said he did this to keep deer out of his moms vegetable garden.
Hey Dexter, Hossfly, if you try this can you share the results?

I have never done it but it makes scents to me, lol.

Yes I did that.

Last edited:
If you can, try to post a video or audio of your chimes when your finished.
Yeah, I will, Lord Willing. The first set my require a series of back tracks, but I;ll share any issues I run into as I make them.

They acclimate to scent deterrents. It is some of what I do. I start off with liquid fence, and now that they have adapted to it, I have gone to deodorant soap. After that comes out pie pans if I haven't plowed under by then. I string those so if they touch the strings, some of the pans will clack against steel posts. Low growing crops I bend wire hoops made from cheap galvanized fencing over as a physical barrier. In the fall, the frost blankets keep them off.

They acclimate to scent deterrents. It is some of what I do. I start off with liquid fence, and now that they have adapted to it, I have gone to deodorant soap. After that comes out pie pans if I haven't plowed under by then. I string those so if they touch the strings, some of the pans will clack against steel posts. Low growing crops I bend wire hoops made from cheap galvanized fencing over as a physical barrier. In the fall, the frost blankets keep them off.
Would switching around the scents in a random pattern help to reduce their adaptation to them?

Would switching around the scents in a random pattern help to reduce their adaptation to them?

Maybe. I have never tried it really much. I know some people who swear by bounce dryer sheets in their garden. I have used those to deter flies around dog lots, but never really tried them in the garden (mainly because I despise the smell too)

....anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread. Windchimes are just going to be an experiment for the deer and they are very pricey for junky ones so I thought about making them myself.

Jim,

While I sincerely appreciate your craftsmanship I hate wind chimes (they drive me nuts).

My across-the-way neighbor, Herman, made a set of chimes, though not as well crafted as yours. I begged him to take them down, which he did. Like you, he has a very nice shop in which he's always making things. Because my daughter had just spent $75 on a playhouse for her cat, which is a big three-tiered affair, apparently made of plywood and is covered in carpeting with numerous doorways, I told Herman about it.

That was last year. Herman has been turning out and selling cat playhouses and birdhouses ever since. If I were younger and had the space I think I would start putting a workshop together. (But I'm kind of lazy.)

Last edited:
Some of the work thus far.
Chime_parts.jpg

Chimes_sail.jpg Chimes_tubes.jpg

Jim,

While I sincerely appreciate your craftsmanship I hate wind chimes (they drive me nuts).

My across-the-way neighbor, Herman, made a set of chimes, though not as well crafted as yours. I begged him to take them down, which he did. Like you, he has a very nice shop in which he's always making things. Because my daughter had just spent $75 on a playhouse for her cat, which is a big three-tiered affair, apparently made of plywood and is covered in carpeting with numerous doorways, I told Herman about it.

That was last year. Herman has been turning out and selling cat playhouses and birdhouses ever since. If I were younger and had the space I think I would start putting a workshop together. (But I'm kind of lazy.)

To correct a misimpression I may have caused, the chimes in the second post were not made by me, but I do want to make something like that for my wife. I dont work that fast, not even close. :)

No comments on my chimes? The sail is very effective but not so aesthetically pleasing. I'll have to come up with another solution, but it works. The light wieght striker is made from oak and has enough weight to ring the chimes without too much excess. But most importantly, the tubes do have a harmonious ring to them and I very much like it, but I amopen to suggestions or alternative ideas.

Video, yes. Audio, NO!

Jim's chimes are representative of patient, careful craftsmanship, and I'm sure the sound they make is very pleasant -- for about one minute. But when those things go on and on for hours it starts to bore into the consciousness, like an audible analogy of the Chinese water torture: drip, drip, drip.

I hate those goddam things!

Video, yes. Audio, NO!

Jim's chimes are representative of patient, careful craftsmanship, and I'm sure the sound they make is very pleasant -- for about one minute. But when those things go on and on for hours it starts to bore into the consciousness, like an audible analogy of the Chinese water torture: drip, drip, drip.

I hate those goddam things!

I bind that spirit of blasphemy in you! The Lord rebuke you Satan!

Forum List

Back