Make Welfare Recipients Work

Collecting unemployment, getting food stamps ???

30 hours of labor/community service should be the price.........Picking up litter, working on infrastructure, shoveling shit..........doesnt matter

We already do.

YOu didn't know that?

Yes you have to show up with a bag of litter you collected to get your allotted EBT card balance.

My wife did landlord tenant law for 5 years and I know for a fact that residents of subsidized housing who aren't on disability or retirement are required to work and pay 30% of their income in rent/

Last edited:

30 hours of labor/community service should be the price.........Picking up litter, working on infrastructure, shoveling shit..........doesnt matter

Okay.. let's say that we do require all welfare recipiants to work.

And when these government subsidized workers displace enterpenuers bidding to do the same kind of work, are you going to be completely okay with that?

Not disagreeing with the notion, I fully support it. But the closest we got in my lifetime to "putting them welfare people to work" was in the late 1990's when Clinton had unemployment down to less than 4% and you could send out a resume and get dozens of job offers.

The Food Stamp program isn’t ‘welfare,’ and those receiving unemployment benefits are required to engage in documented job search as a condition of on-going eligibility. The Food Stamp program also has a work requirement.

The ignorance of the right is at times troubling, given their likely number.

Food stamps arent welfare? is that a specific thing or in general, because technically it would fall under the term welfare would it not?

My question is if they have all these requirements, why are people on it for 30 years?

Christ, the working poor receive food stamps - and they already have a job...or two...or three...

Do the rethugs also want to cut the foodstamps recieved by military members and their families? Or will they come out and say that there is no members of the military recieving food stamps?

I am all for reinstating programs like the CCC and WPA. Those programs helped provide the infrastructure and logistics support to allow industry to flourish, which in turn, made programs like the CCC and WPA obsolete.

The difference between now and then is technology. By reinstating those programs, the on the job training that it would provide unskilled workers would be huge in making them marketable employees for the private sector....AND, with them actually working for their benefits, much of the stigmatism of being on "welfare" should, for the most part, go out the window.

Finally, it should make the "teach a man to fish" crowd happy.

I am all for reinstating programs like the CCC and WPA. Those programs helped provide the infrastructure and logistics support to allow industry to flourish, which in turn, made programs like the CCC and WPA obsolete.

The difference between now and then is technology. By reinstating those programs, the on the job training that it would provide unskilled workers would be huge in making them marketable employees for the private sector....AND, with them actually working for their benefits, much of the stigmatism of being on "welfare" should, for the most part, go out the window.

Don't you mean the "fuck them, fishing easy. They should learn themselves and if they don't then they can die" crowd?

Food stamps arent welfare? is that a specific thing or in general, because technically it would fall under the term welfare would it not?

My question is if they have all these requirements, why are people on it for 30 years?

Christ, the working poor receive food stamps - and they already have a job...or two...or three...

Do the rethugs also want to cut the foodstamps recieved by military members and their families? Or will they come out and say that there is no members of the military recieving food stamps?

No, but according to the OP, he would like to make them shovel shit for zero pay when they get home from Afghanistan defending the OP's freedom to make asinine comments.

The Welfare Reform Act requires recipients to work at least 20 hrs per week in order to receive a benefit.

This isn't something new. It's been law for well over a decade. Please make a note of it.

Obama just stopped it.

No, he didn't. Your getting too much news from the radio. He increased the waiver period that zero states were meeting and allowed states to find their own ways to meet work requirements.

Don't you mean the "fuck them, fishing easy. They should learn themselves and if they don't then they can die" crowd?

yeah....I was being polite.

The right says "employers are not hiring"

The right says "if you cut welfare, welfare receiptients will get a job"

How can both of these be true at the same time?

All the responsibilities of a job, none of the dignity. Brilliant plan. Why don't we just make them slaves?

Alot more dignity in that then collecting unearned handouts.............But a beggar wouldnt understand that............

The right says "employers are not hiring"

The right says "if you cut welfare, welfare receiptients will get a job"

How can both of these be true at the same time?

Much like everything else they stand for, consistency is not a vital component.

The Food Stamp program isn’t ‘welfare,’ and those receiving unemployment benefits are required to engage in documented job search as a condition of on-going eligibility. The Food Stamp program also has a work requirement.

The ignorance of the right is at times troubling, given their likely number.

That was the rule right up to the point obama gutted it.

What's work? Journaling, reading self help books,

Waiving Work Requirements for Welfare Recipients - Technorati Politics

Going to weight watchers meetings.

Obama Administration Guts Welfare Reform Work Requirements

hula dancing
Obama Ends Welfare Reform As We Know It - By Robert Rector & Katherine Bradley - The Corner - National Review Online

I know how much you folks love facts, but wasn't there a president back in the late 30s and 40s who actually paid people to pick up litter, work on infrastructure, shovel shit, clear forest paths, etc?

Are you actually saying that you'd really be happy with another New Deal?

We presently have the New Deal, without the work.

Sounds good on paper doesnt it?...................

Reality is another animal. One size fits all should be left to Walmart......

the media didn't report this:

'This afternoon, President Obama’s Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) released an official policy directive undermining the welfare reform law of 1996. The new policy guts the federal work requirements that have been the foundation of that law — one of the most successful domestic policy reforms in the 20th century.'

How the Hell do they get away with this? Circumventing the legislature...astounding.

Forum List

Back