Make Welfare Recipients Work

Collecting unemployment, getting food stamps ???

30 hours of labor/community service should be the price.........Picking up litter, working on infrastructure, shoveling shit..........doesnt matter

It would save the city money and that would be great considering that welfare programs seem to gobble up budgets nationwide.

Able bodied people should contribute. If they take tax payer money, it's only fair they do something to defray the cost.

Unfortunately, this has been bought up many times and each time there are lawyers involved to protect the rights of people to live off other people. In one government housing complex, people sued after being told they had to mow the lawns. The lawyers took care of that business. They don't want to work. Liberal lawyers (and Dem politicians are mostly lawyers) are there to coddle them. Hell, why would people be expected to work when they aren't even expected to obtain a damn ID card?

It's the tax paying workers that are the problem, you know. We are keeping more than half of the money we earn and that is outrageous!!!! We are supposed to get our IDs, show up for random drug testing and be to work on time every day. To expect even a fraction of that from government dependents is just wrong. Know your place, tax payer, know your place.

I don't know what your pay structure is, but I really wish I could keep half the money I earn. Hell - sometimes an extra sawbuck would be nice.

It was a lot different before my work went to India.

The fact of the matter is that median incomes are actually falling - not for those who have jobs right now, but for those who get displaced whenever our corporations find a way to save a few bucks and maximize profits. Those of us who fall off the wagon are forced to accept MUCH less, not because they aren't qualified, but because there just isn't as much of a need for their talents anymore.

I know that doesn't quite fit your stereotype of the average welfare recipient: someone who works in jobs far inferior to the level he was trained for far less money and now needs a hand so he can keep a moderately full belly and maybe have something left to pay the rent and the utilities.

I smile as I write this, because I know from first hand experience that one day it may be you who are standing in a line trying to get some of the fabled "free money" they give away at the county offices. I won't be able to see the look on your face - but I do have a good imagination.

30 hours of labor/community service should be the price.........Picking up litter, working on infrastructure, shoveling shit..........doesnt matter

I know how much you folks love facts, but wasn't there a president back in the late 30s and 40s who actually paid people to pick up litter, work on infrastructure, shovel shit, clear forest paths, etc?

Are you actually saying that you'd really be happy with another New Deal?

They did a hell of lot more than that...

During the Great Depression the government hired about 60 per cent of the unemployed in public works and conservation projects that planted a billion trees, saved the whooping crane, modernized rural America, and built such diverse projects as the Cathedral of Learning in Pittsburgh, the Montana state capitol, much of the Chicago lakefront, New York's Lincoln Tunnel and Triborough Bridge complex, the Tennessee Valley Authority and the aircraft carriers Enterprise and Yorktown.

It also built or renovated 2,500 hospitals, 45,000 schools, 13,000 parks and playgrounds, 7,800 bridges, 700,000 miles of roads, and a thousand airfields. And it employed 50,000 teachers, rebuilt the country's entire rural school system, and hired 3,000 writers, musicians, sculptors and painters, including Willem de Kooning and Jackson Pollock.

In other words, millions of men and women earned a living wage and self-respect and contributed mightily to the national infrastructure.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.
President John F. Kennedy

I did say "etc"... :eusa_angel:

Easiest way to make them work??

Stop giving them free shit to begin with

I understand the frustration with many of those on welfare. Without a doubt, there are a good number of these people who just game the system to get as much out of it as they can. At the same time, there are many who are on welfare who don't want to be, but they have no option for whatever reason. Here is the problem though; we have millions who want to work who can't find a job, but you think that by kicking everyone off of welfare, those people will suddenly go out and find a job. Most of them have little or no skills and most of them won't make very good employees. Most of them won't get jobs and without welfare, they will have nowhere to go. The homeless rate will skyrocket and we'll have millions living in the streets. Crime rates will go through the roof as these people will steal just so they can try to eat. It would end up getting very ugly.

Yes, too many people are on welfare, but they are not our biggest problem. Getting them off of welfare would be great if they became employed and full contributing members of society. But that won't happen by kicking all of them off of welfare. It sounds like a great idea but it's a terrible idea.

duchess-fb.jpg

The Welfare Reform Act requires recipients to work at least 20 hrs per week in order to receive a benefit.

This isn't something new. It's been law for well over a decade. Please make a note of it.

Obama just stopped it.

We actually had programs like this in place, Obama just used Executive Power to toss them out not a week ago.

It maes sense because when you have prisoners and welfare people doing a job for much less than you would pay an employee that is a great way to get around minimum wage. It is lie outsourcing in america and actually loses paying jobs others can do. That puts more people on welfare because the contractors who handle those things don't need to hire.

It is great when republicans cannot think beyond their incessant and idiotic whining.

I'd think there's a lot of half decent people on welfare or unemployment who would love to be able to work for their government support check, as a matter of self-respect and to develop job skills or references. But, liberals won't let them work.

Liberals = hate.

You are so full of shit, you have no idea. Plenty of people collect welfare as additional assistance to their measly, below poverty level-paying jobs. There are also job training programs and tuition assistance offered by the government which could be viewed as a form of welfare.

UE has already been worked for.It would be like paying taxes on taxes

All the responsibilities of a job, none of the dignity. Brilliant plan. Why don't we just make them slaves?

We already do.

YOu didn't know that?

Forum List

Back