Make Welfare Recipients Work

How does Unions and welfare recipients collude against government programs??

If WR are working on bridges and so forth, would it not be wiser for the unions to "unionize" WRs?

To me, that sounds like what a union would do, so why are they against WRs work programs? That is potentially more members and access to welfare checks/government funds! A Union boss wet dream all sitting there for him!!

Collecting unemployment, getting food stamps ???

30 hours of labor/community service should be the price.........Picking up litter, working on infrastructure, shoveling shit..........doesnt matter

Sounds good on paper doesnt it?...................

Reality is another animal. One size fits all should be left to Walmart......

I agree. So does the administration - that's why, in light of the fact that zero states were able to meet waiver requirements set in 1997, the administration decided to give individual states the flexibility to determine their own standards for work requirements. This new policy directive (the one everyone here is freaking out about) allows states to write their own definitions for certain aspects of the work requirement. Until the national employment situation improves, this will allow states to continue to get funding without paying a sanction despite missing the work requirements

I'd think there's a lot of half decent people on welfare or unemployment who would love to be able to work for their government support check, as a matter of self-respect and to develop job skills or references. But, liberals won't let them work.

Liberals = hate.

You are so full of shit, you have no idea. Plenty of people collect welfare as additional assistance to their measly, below poverty level-paying jobs. There are also job training programs and tuition assistance offered by the government which could be viewed as a form of welfare.

Many years ago I worked in San Ramon, Ca at an R&D company building and testing experimental nuclear reactors. We tested some components at the Livermore Radiation Lab as well as at a reactor in Idaho.

My neighbor, a strapping young man claimed that he hurt his back operating a fork lift at a warehouse? He got on a California program that sent him to barbers school. It was set up so that he had to complete X number of hours of training to get his diploma. He managed to stretch the 6 month program out to almost a year by only going to school 2 or 3 days a week instead of 5.

I worked the swing shift and saw him doing yard work, roofing his house, etc on the days he didn't go to school. He had a stronger back than I did, and I was pretty damned healthy.

We both had 4 year old boys and since our wives talked about kids, he and I got together at the kitchen table over a beer now and then. He mentioned that part of the deal was free gas for his car at the local county truck depot and they put a new set of tires on his car when they got worn. His wife told my wife that they got a clothing allowance at Penneys and Sears and that she would buy the clothes and take them back for a cash refund since there was no room in her closets for more clothes.

We compared his income to mine, and I was amazed to find that his net income was more than mine. I was an electronic technician at the time and our group in the bay area was reportedly the highest paid techs in the United States.

If you aren't bored yet, you should be, but it made me decide to get out of the welfare state of California.

On edit: Within a month of completing the barber school, my neighbors back got better and he went back to work at the warehouse. Are you shocked?

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back