Make 25% Standard Tip Rate....

I said I agreed with most of them, it's the way she presents herself with it. She leaves no room for a server who's possibly just having a bad day. People aren't robots.

You never know what kind of day someone is having. For all you know, the person just lost a loved one but can't afford to miss a day of work over it.

God forbid you don't have every single one of your expectations met 100% of the time you dine out. And god forbid you throw someone $20 on an $80 meal. I'd feel like a cheap fucking asshole if I gave a $100 bill on $80 and asked for change back out of it.

I'm not a waiter. I've never worked in that line of business. I am a business owner myself though and I understand that sometimes your help isn't always going to be 100%.

Life's rough. Get a fucking helmet. I don't know what else to tell you.

How about this.... i present it in terms of a restauranteur and restaurant management. What i said is simple...at a very basic level of waitstaff service. That is the ..... job.

I know full well people have bad days, and if that is the problem they are off the floor if they cant reign that crap in. It is not a customers issues or problem what the server may or may not be "going thorough". A customer is there to enjoy themselves...I am paying for them to be served...and a customer should be given a basic level service.

That is what I pay them to do. Any tips they receive is based on how well they preform... not something squeeze out of patrons.

Life is very rough...if you want a great tip.... then do something to deserve a great tip. Don't try and have a mandatory tip planted onto a check...and just do average or sub standard work.

Thank you!
:cool:

My guests come in to relax over a great meal and escape from their daily grind.
The do not need to see a frump that will just cause them to ponder what their deal is.

Servers are "checked in" by a manager and a Smile is part of our uniform standards.
:D
Sorry, some guests come in to relax over a good meal and escape from the greasy spoon syndrome that has the industry by the balls. They have had microbiology and know there are things growing underneath nails that have dirt between the nail and the finger, and a smile does not negate personal filth that is transferred by handler to person trying to relax.

If I see that dirt, my back goes up faster than a cat eyeing a dog that is 12 times its size. The last bite goes on the spoon, the spoon is rested in "finished" position emily post style, the napkin is folded, I pay my bill and the tip and I leave, no hassle for me.

I quite frankly don't care whether they "figure out the frump". I just get the hell out and never go back for any reason. I'd starve before I put myself through that kind of a non-professional experience again. Good consumers deserve what they pay for.

An excerpt from a page at the cdc linking to statistical deaths caused by food-borne illnesses:

More than 200 known diseases are transmitted through food (1). The causes of foodborne illness include viruses, bacteria, parasites, toxins, metals, and prions, and the symptoms of foodborne illness range from mild gastroenteritis to life-threatening neurologic, hepatic, and renal syndromes. In the United States, foodborne diseases have been estimated to cause 6 million to 81 million illnesses and up to 9,000 deaths each year (2-5). However, ongoing changes in the food supply, the identification of new foodborne diseases, and the availability of new surveillance data have made these figures obsolete. New, more accurate estimates are needed to guide prevention efforts and assess the effectiveness of food safety regulations.
Surveillance of foodborne illness is complicated by several factors. The first is underreporting. Although foodborne illnesses can be severe or even fatal, milder cases are often not detected through routine surveillance. Second, many pathogens transmitted through food are also spread through water or from person to person, thus obscuring the role of foodborne transmission. Finally, some proportion of foodborne illness is caused by pathogens or agents that have not yet been identified and thus cannot be diagnosed. The importance of this final factor cannot be overstated. Many of the pathogens of greatest concern today (e.g., Campylobacter jejuni, Escherichia coli O157:H7, Listeria monocytogenes, Cyclospora cayetanensis) were not recognized as causes of foodborne illness just 20 years ago.
In this article, we report new estimates of illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths due to foodborne diseases in the United States. To ensure their validity, these estimates have been derived by using data from multiple sources, including the newly established Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network (FoodNet). The figures presented include estimates for specific known pathogens, as well as overall estimates for all causes of foodborne illness, known, unknown, infectious, and noninfectious
Food-Related Illness and Death in the United States

The trouble with people educated in human health is that you cannot shame nor beat out of them the facts of nutritional health, not to mention egregious issues of food-borne illnesses caused by food handlers who never were taught the largest cause of foodborne illness is handling food with a cut or open wound. Salmonellosis is transferred in that way, and people under 5 and over 60 are susceptible to death or lifelong illnesses from a bout with the disease at either end of the age spectrum. An education in vector routes of foodborne illness is paramount to minding people's very dependence on food servers to pay attention and do things that maintain human health, not dismantle it.

As my income level has increased in my life, so have my tip percentages. Unless a server is just intentionally being a prick to me, which I've never encountered, I'm tipping them as my thank you for at the very minimum, serving me my food the way I requested it.

People who go out of their way to find small details as reasons to justify stiffing a server are really just cheap sons of bitches at the end of the day. If you live a financially comfortable life and still can't throw someone less fortunate than you a little cash for making your life just a little bit easier for that hour, you suck, I'm sorry.

This isnt about stiffing....

Its about having your decision on how much of a tip to leave taken away. You will be forced to leave a 25% tip.... regardless of the service.

I really hope this isnt true... I like being able to choose how much I give and we got out to eat often 10% is the lowest I have ever gone for really bad service, and have gone into what would be 500-1000% tips for good service. Wouldn't be very inclined to go so overboard if it was forced

We leave a tip for the server always. If the food is rotten, we tell the server and never go back again.

The server knows when the cook has served someone yellow lettuce with brown edges, sour canteloupe, bad milk, soft tomatoes with white stuff on it, gangrenous orange juice that is tarter than a lemon, overcooked meat that still smells rotten, cold soup, hard rice, burnt breakfast toast, bleeding chicken on the salmonellosis side, limp bacon that didnt make it to 155F on any skillet or microwave dish, bland watermelon except for its distinctive refrigerator odor taste, milk poured into a beer glass that tastes like beer, porous fish that is mealy-mouthed, and last but not least, grainy wet boxed mashed potato slop that doesn't have a single milligram of vitamin C left in it. Not to mention the water glass that has the lipstick smudge left on it from the last use or so.

Wow, you got to some crappy places.
Yes, but they only got my business once, and I leave a full plate sometimes if what I see or taste is sickening enough. I don't forget who served the fruit cocktail that was left in the refridgerator one too many nights, because they never, never see me again.

I really hope this isnt true... I like being able to choose how much I give and we got out to eat often 10% is the lowest I have ever gone for really bad service, and have gone into what would be 500-1000% tips for good service. Wouldn't be very inclined to go so overboard if it was forced

Hope again.... its very true.

How about this.... i present it in terms of a restauranteur and restaurant management. What i said is simple...at a very basic level of waitstaff service. That is the ..... job.

I know full well people have bad days, and if that is the problem they are off the floor if they cant reign that crap in. It is not a customers issues or problem what the server may or may not be "going thorough". A customer is there to enjoy themselves...I am paying for them to be served...and a customer should be given a basic level service.

That is what I pay them to do. Any tips they receive is based on how well they preform... not something squeeze out of patrons.

Life is very rough...if you want a great tip.... then do something to deserve a great tip. Don't try and have a mandatory tip planted onto a check...and just do average or sub standard work.

Thank you!

The do not need to see a frump that will just cause them to ponder what their deal is.

Servers are "checked in" by a manager and a Smile is part of our uniform standards.
Sorry, some guests come in to relax over a good meal and escape from the greasy spoon syndrome that has the industry by the balls. They have had microbiology and know there are things growing underneath nails that have dirt between the nail and the finger, and a smile does not negate personal filth that is transferred by handler to person trying to relax.

If I see that dirt, my back goes up faster than a cat eyeing a dog that is 12 times its size. The last bite goes on the spoon, the spoon is rested in "finished" position emily post style, the napkin is folded, I pay my bill and the tip and I leave, no hassle for me.

I quite frankly don't care whether they "figure out the frump". I just get the hell out and never go back for any reason. I'd starve before I put myself through that kind of a non-professional experience again. Good consumers deserve what they pay for.

An excerpt from a page at the cdc linking to statistical deaths caused by food-borne illnesses:

More than 200 known diseases are transmitted through food (1). The causes of foodborne illness include viruses, bacteria, parasites, toxins, metals, and prions, and the symptoms of foodborne illness range from mild gastroenteritis to life-threatening neurologic, hepatic, and renal syndromes. In the United States, foodborne diseases have been estimated to cause 6 million to 81 million illnesses and up to 9,000 deaths each year (2-5). However, ongoing changes in the food supply, the identification of new foodborne diseases, and the availability of new surveillance data have made these figures obsolete. New, more accurate estimates are needed to guide prevention efforts and assess the effectiveness of food safety regulations.
Surveillance of foodborne illness is complicated by several factors. The first is underreporting. Although foodborne illnesses can be severe or even fatal, milder cases are often not detected through routine surveillance. Second, many pathogens transmitted through food are also spread through water or from person to person, thus obscuring the role of foodborne transmission. Finally, some proportion of foodborne illness is caused by pathogens or agents that have not yet been identified and thus cannot be diagnosed. The importance of this final factor cannot be overstated. Many of the pathogens of greatest concern today (e.g., Campylobacter jejuni, Escherichia coli O157:H7, Listeria monocytogenes, Cyclospora cayetanensis) were not recognized as causes of foodborne illness just 20 years ago.
In this article, we report new estimates of illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths due to foodborne diseases in the United States. To ensure their validity, these estimates have been derived by using data from multiple sources, including the newly established Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network (FoodNet). The figures presented include estimates for specific known pathogens, as well as overall estimates for all causes of foodborne illness, known, unknown, infectious, and noninfectious

The trouble with people educated in human health is that you cannot shame nor beat out of them the facts of nutritional health, not to mention egregious issues of food-borne illnesses caused by food handlers who never were taught the largest cause of foodborne illness is handling food with a cut or open wound. Salmonellosis is transferred in that way, and people under 5 and over 60 are susceptible to death or lifelong illnesses from a bout with the disease at either end of the age spectrum. An education in vector routes of foodborne illness is paramount to minding people's very dependence on food servers to pay attention and do things that maintain human health, not dismantle it.

I think you misunderstood me Becki.

I was just talking about the guest seeing a "frumpy" sad-sack server grumbling over their problems.

I assure you that mine is far from a greasy spoon.
We recently had a perfect corporate inspection and the only thing the health dept. ever manages to find is some missing grout in the store room floor tile.

Thank you!

I was just talking about the guest seeing a "frumpy" sad-sack server grumbling over their problems.

We recently had a perfect corporate inspection and the only thing the health dept. ever manages to find is some missing grout in the store room floor tile.

ok... off subject! ... don't you hate that shit!! ... the health inspectors should be out busting the roach palaces ....and they hunt up missing grout! :cuckoo: They freaking got us for an empty paper towel holder. :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

rant over.

Why don't the restaurants just charge more and pay their workers better?

A mandatory tip is not a tip. If it is mandatory why would the servers give better service?

ok... off subject! ... don't you hate that shit!! ... the health inspectors should be out busting the roach palaces ....and they hunt up missing grout! :cuckoo: They freaking got us for an empty paper towel holder. :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

rant over.
(your thread so it's allowed)
he can't ever find fault with temps or cleanliness or safety so he says he puts down floor grout, and such, just so the company sees it and gets it fixed for us

I can get on topic for a second, as it goes to tips;

I hate to hear my servers complain about the $2 tip.
I tell them that if they're going to whine over the old couple leaving two bucks they should gripe about the single guy leaving 10 or 15.

It all balances out. You can't look at table-by-table. It can bring ya down.

In San Francisco... they are paid plenty..... with a 15% tip on top of that...they make out like bandits.

In most states Waitresses and Waiters are not even required to be paid the minimum wage.

Tips are where most make their money, Having mandatory tipping is just passing the workers pay on to the customers.
With the tipping having no impact on level of service if it is mandatory.

Last edited:
Went to dinner with the ex and her parents (years ago). Her dad's a dumpster-diving tightwad.
I saw the tip he left on the table and knew it had to be 5% considering the meals we ordered.
So I went back to the restaurant the next day, found the person that waited our table, and made it right. He almost started crying he was so grateful.

Small town diner- 10%. Average 15%. Big city dive 20%. Big city ritz 25%. Use yer heads folks.

In San Francisco... they are paid plenty..... with a 15% tip on top of that...they make out like bandits.

In most states Waitresses and Waiters are not even required to be paid the minimum wage.

Tips are where most make their money, Having mandatory tipping is just passing the workers pay on to the customers.
With the tipping having no impact on level of service if it is mandatory.

But that is not the case here. The servers are paid very well, almost $10/hour.

A mandatory tip is not a tip. If it is mandatory why would the servers give better service?

I wish I were young enough to waitress again in a place that made earning decent tips possible. Back in high school, in the 70's, I worked first in the coffee shop of a very famous restaurant, later the dining room. I made more in the coffee house side. $2.15 an hour salary. I average $20+ per hour in tips. On a Saturday working the 'big counter' from 8 am-2pm I'd bring home close to $200. At that time we reported I believe $1.75 per hour in tips, minimum wage was about $4.00 an hour then.

I wish I were young enough to waitress again in a place that made earning decent tips possible. Back in high school, in the 70's, I worked first in the coffee shop of a very famous restaurant, later the dining room. I made more in the coffee house side. $2.15 an hour salary. I average $20+ per hour in tips. On a Saturday working the 'big counter' from 8 am-2pm I'd bring home close to $200. At that time we reported I believe $1.75 per hour in tips, minimum wage was about $4.00 an hour then.

Amazing isnt it? Ive watched the wait staff roll out with 7-8+ hundred bucks a night.....each.

When is a tip not a tip? VERY good question. It would seem that waiters in San Francisco want a raise. They are pushing for a 25% mandatory tip to be placed on your restaurant bill. It will no longer be a reward for good service... but a given, an automatic gratuity.

Understand, they already make $9.92/hour as minimum wage. Restaurants are tacking on a health care surcharge at about 2% of the bill. As it stands... waiters only have to report 15% to the IRS, even if they make more then that.

Think about that. One table, one check of $50, they will make $12.50 in a tip. Are they wroth $22.42/hour?

Now increase the number of tables to 4. Is a waiter worth $59.92 per hour?

Not a chance, but when I travel to Montreal it's worse.

Would you pay a mandatory 25% tip in a restaurant?

San Francisco Restaurant Workers Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

General Services Agency : Minimum Wage Ordinance (MWO)
In San Francisco, Health Care Shows Up on Restaurant Bills - Health Blog - WSJ

A tip is a choice, not a demand. I would not enter any restaurant that applies an indiscriminate charge for a tip.

It's patently distasteful to me.
i thought a 15% service charge is added to all restaurant checks in Canada? When i went to quebec on holiday, the 15% tip was mandatory.....plus in many places in europe, it was like that too!

i don't like a mandatory tip/service charge either!

I'm at the opposite end Care. I live in British Columbia. If I don't want to tip, I do not and if there is any service charges, they are factored into the overall price and if I'm not being kissed before being screwed, well I'm better with that than knowing I'm being screwed AND kissed. :lol:

In Montreal, if you go to a bar and order a drink and if you do not tip the server, they do NOT come back. Hell, they might even take the drink back. I've seen them pull guns out and brandish them and put them back in their pockets laughing. :eusa_shhh:

The French are a passionate people and not tipping is considered an insult. I learned that very quickly because, like here in the beginning there wasn't anyone to school me. But I learned quicker back then when I was young.

Forum List

Back