Make 25% Standard Tip Rate....

A tip isn't mandatory, but it is implied. I tip 20-25% no matter what. I don't need them to be my friend, I just need them to bring me my food. Maybe this isn't common, but I've hardly ever encountered bad waitservice anywhere. There's the occasional one that's not in the best of moods, but what the fuck do I care how they feel about their day as long as I get what I ordered?

I don't blame them for being pissy sometimes. If I had to deal with all the uppity ignorant assholes that are out eating I'd probably hate life too.

At $60 and hour? Even from a mom and pop greasy spoon place i would except FIRST class service.

I don't care if THEY are having a bad day. I am not eating there to deal with their personal problems. Wait staff is paid to be nice, helpful and most of all friendly AND courteous.

I expect to be greeted with a smile, not a sullen snarl
I expect to have my drink refiled, without having to ask.
I expect my order to be taken in a timely manner.
I expect my order to be taken down correctly.
I expect my food to come as ordered and if not taken away and replaced.
I expect my server to come and check to see if my order is to my liking.
I expect my server to make sure my table is cleared and wiped down after we are finished.
I expect my check to come and not have to ask for it.

I expect all of that from a minimum wage server.... without a tip involved. That is THEIR job. All of that is what they are being paid by the employer to do.

A tip is what you leave in appreciation service rendered.... 15% is standard.

For 25%.... They better deliver over and above all of what i just listed.

You would be one of those uppity assholes I mentioned.

I don't disagree with much of that, but you need to come down off your high horse.

What is uppity about her expectations?

Everything she's mentioned is the bare minimum of expectations I have for my wait staff.
My servers are expected to be "on stage" while in the dining room (period). Anything less and I cut them off the floor.

At $60 and hour? Even from a mom and pop greasy spoon place i would except FIRST class service.

I don't care if THEY are having a bad day. I am not eating there to deal with their personal problems. Wait staff is paid to be nice, helpful and most of all friendly AND courteous.

I expect to be greeted with a smile, not a sullen snarl
I expect to have my drink refiled, without having to ask.
I expect my order to be taken in a timely manner.
I expect my order to be taken down correctly.
I expect my food to come as ordered and if not taken away and replaced.
I expect my server to come and check to see if my order is to my liking.
I expect my server to make sure my table is cleared and wiped down after we are finished.
I expect my check to come and not have to ask for it.

I expect all of that from a minimum wage server.... without a tip involved. That is THEIR job. All of that is what they are being paid by the employer to do.

A tip is what you leave in appreciation service rendered.... 15% is standard.

For 25%.... They better deliver over and above all of what i just listed.

You would be one of those uppity assholes I mentioned.

I don't disagree with much of that, but you need to come down off your high horse.

What is uppity about her expectations?

Everything she's mentioned is the bare minimum of expectations I have for my wait staff.
My servers are expected to be "on stage" while in the dining room (period). Anything less and I cut them off the floor.

I bet he is waiter. :lol:

Understand, they already make $9.92/hour as minimum wage. Restaurants are tacking on a health care surcharge at about 2% of the bill. As it stands... waiters only have to report 15% to the IRS, even if they make more then that.

$9.92?? Holy shit. When I was a bartender my base wage was $2.83.

Understand, they already make $9.92/hour as minimum wage. Restaurants are tacking on a health care surcharge at about 2% of the bill. As it stands... waiters only have to report 15% to the IRS, even if they make more then that.

$9.92?? Holy shit. When I was a bartender my base wage was $2.83.

I knew no one would believe me about the minimum wage...that is why i added the link.

When is a tip not a tip? VERY good question. It would seem that waiters in San Francisco want a raise. They are pushing for a 25% mandatory tip to be placed on your restaurant bill. It will no longer be a reward for good service... but a given, an automatic gratuity.

Think about that. One table, one check of $50, they will make $12.50 in a tip. Are they wroth $22.42/hour?

Now increase the number of tables to 4. Is a waiter worth $59.92 per hour?

Would you pay a mandatory 25% tip in a restaurant?

San Francisco Restaurant Workers Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

General Services Agency : Minimum Wage Ordinance (MWO)
In San Francisco, Health Care Shows Up on Restaurant Bills - Health Blog - WSJ

I spent 4 long hours as a servers assistant one "tip a cop night". Serving is hard work, fast paced and errors are not soon forgiven. That said, 25% is too much, expecially in the trendy high end places in The City (San Francisco, for those not in the know). I generally tip 18%, less if the service is deficient in some areas. On occassion I have not tipped, but when I do I also leave a note on the bill why. Usually the fault is in the food, not the service, on those rare occassions I stiff them.

I miss Clown Alley (best burgers ever) and Doggie Diner (best hot pastrami on Rye) and a real "It's It" from Playland. Bill's burgers on Clement are still good (my favorite was the Herb Cane).

Yes.... if the food is the problem... NEVER blame the server. It is not their fault. I totally agree with that.

OMG... blasts from the past! Pronto Pup! Its It have never been the same since they left playland and went comericial.... How could you go wrong eating one watching laughing Sal?

Top Dog is the bomb.

When is a tip not a tip? VERY good question. It would seem that waiters in San Francisco want a raise. They are pushing for a 25% mandatory tip to be placed on your restaurant bill. It will no longer be a reward for good service... but a given, an automatic gratuity.

Think about that. One table, one check of $50, they will make $12.50 in a tip. Are they wroth $22.42/hour?

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/99.7 Now) – It’s a question many of us ask when we go out to a restaurant. “How much should I tip?” Whether your service is good or bad, some San Francisco restaurant workers want to implement a 25% standard tip onto your bill for you,

San Francisco Restaurant Workers Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

Yet another reason to go eat in San Mateo, or San Bruno or a whole host of places that also have decent restaraunts. I say let them do it and let the market determine if they are full of horse poo.

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/99.7 Now) – It’s a question many of us ask when we go out to a restaurant. “How much should I tip?” Whether your service is good or bad, some San Francisco restaurant workers want to implement a 25% standard tip onto your bill for you,

Yet another reason to go eat in San Mateo, or San Bruno or a whole host of places that also have decent restaraunts. I say let them do it and let the market determine if they are full of horse poo.

I am of the same opinion. I will eat out of the city if this happens.

But SF is a very tourist and convention driven city.... captive audience if you will... so there is motivation.

But SF is a very tourist and convention driven city.... captive audience if you will... so there is motivation.

Yes, but people don't have the money they used to so in the end I think it will bite them in the ass. People can't afford it. So they won't.

Yes, but people don't have the money they used to so in the end I think it will bite them in the ass. People can't afford it. So they won't.

True enough.... and if small local driven restaurants do this i am sure they will go under. But they are only a small part of the city. Millions of people come through this city..... they are the base target in my opinion.

I usually pay 20% for most tippable services. Waiters deserve good money but also from their employers.

I usually pay 20% for most tippable services. Waiters deserve good money but also from their employers.

I think a base salary of about $10 is pretty damn good. 15% is a fair tip..... Giving more on your own is great!

How would you feel about a mandatory tip of 25% for BAD service?

I think a base salary of about $10 is pretty damn good. 15% is a fair tip..... Giving more on your own is great!

I'm sure they would take that tip off the bill if your service was bad.

Think again.

That is the point of making it a mandatory tip..... the server gets it no matter what their service is.

Think again.

That is the point of making it a mandatory tip..... the server gets it no matter what their service is.

If I can complain about food and get it taken off the bill, I'm pretty sure I can do the same re: the service.

Think again.

If I can complain about food and get it taken off the bill, I'm pretty sure I can do the same re: the service.

And that is the whole idea of a tip... you give what you think is deserved. Why should you have to haggle to get a tip back that you would not have given in the first place?

And don't forget.... they would not have to give it back to you if they did not want to.

Think again.

And that is the whole idea of a tip... you give what you think is deserved. Why should you have to haggle to get a tip back that you would not have given in the first place?

And don't forget.... they would not have to give it back to you if they did not want to.

Stand up and argue over the price of a bill because of a mandatory service charge where the service been poor?

I would just never come back.

I won't pay for what I didn't get. Period.

And what would you expect for a 25% tip? The same level average service?

Or for that 25% would you expect them to raise their level of service to deserve that amount of a tip....considering it is more then you would normally leave.

I won't pay for what I didn't get. Period.

And what would you expect for a 25% tip? The same level average service?

Or for that 25% would you expect them to raise their level of service to deserve that amount of a tip....considering it is more then you would normally leave.

That's not the question, is it? Or are we changing the subject.

I doubt that I would go or stay anywhere that I saw that on the menu. I have eaten places where mandatory 18% tip was on the menu, and I didn't have a problem with that, since I normally tip 20-25%. Had the service sucked, yes; I would have asked to speak to the manager.

In general (because I'm kind of an old fogey) I too tip around 20% for just average service. If I get truly outstanding sevice I've tipped as much as 50% but 25% is normal. If service is bad I will tip 10% and if it is just awful I won't tip at all and leave a note as to why I didn't tip.

There is one restaurant we go to that has wonderful staff except for one individual that is rude and obnoxious (why he is still employed is a mystery) and we specifically will not go into his serving area. It took two times to figure out that's the way he is and he pays for his crappy attitude every time we are there.

As far as the mandatory 25% I wonder if there is a way that if the service is bad you could deduct from the restaurants side of it? That might wake them up to a bad server.

Forum List

Back