Macy's announces they are closing 68 stores and laying off more than 10,000 employees

Macy's is and always has been a high end store. Who the hell, besides the wealthy, can afford to shop there??
Actually they have very good sales.

What's up with the store closing then?? Usually you close stores because business sucks.

Any idea??
I worked there part time a year ago during Christmas. Mall traffic isn't what it used to be and the young crowd likes the trendy flash in the pan stores (which are also going out of business).

Largely because of violence, people are doing more shopping on line. This means more delivery trucks loaded with more goodies.

How long before Fed Ex and UPS have armed guards?

Gee. I thought the economy was doing great and people were spending. At least that's what douchebag in the WH would have you believe.
Are you seriously attempting to gauge the strength of the economy on whether any headlines can be found of a company laying people off? Companies lay people off, hire people, fire people in both good and bad economies. Companies get formed and others go under, in good and bad economies.

If you're interested in whether people are spending go look at consumer spending statistics instead of chasing some nonsensical state of no companies laying anyone off anywhere.

83cEVlN.png

What's up with the store closing then?? Usually you close stores because business sucks.

Any idea??
Consumer spending habits, especially for consumables frequently sold by mid-level chains like Macy's, have been trending towards online spending for years.

Macy's, Nordstrom, Sears and Penny's are the big mall stores here. I never shop any of them. Maybe Nordstrom a few years ago for a couple Christmas presents.

Amazon is taking over. Amazon and one stop shopping...the grocery and everything else stores.

When Amazon or some other creative business gets a true handle on QUICK delivery I look for the day when they'll rent some of the vacated stores and put in merchandise displays where you can see the goods and maybe try some on for size. Where you can order but can't buy 'cause there's no stock. Just enter your order, swipe your card and the goods will be at your home before you get there.

Wait....that's already happening! But the displays are put on my Macy's, K-Mart, Sears. Go in - look, touch, try on then beat feet home or whip out your iPad or smartphone and order for a lower price and not have to lug stuff around. Looks like some of those display stores are starting to figure that out but not how to turn it to profit. Just cut and run.

Remember Monkey-Ward?

Forum List

Back