MacIntosh

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Do you like them or dislike them? Why or why not?

I heard Kim Komando say Windows is "dying on the vine."

Everything I've heard about Macs are good but they are rather expensive which is why I don't own one. Other than that I know nothing about them.
As for Windows "dying on the vine"? Yeah, right, heard that one before. They're too well entrenched for anything short of a catastrophic OS system wide failure that would affect the vast majority of users to shake them loose.

For those trained on a Mac (and can afford them) all seem to swear by them.

For those of us trained on Windows, however, the Mac is confusing. And because there are so few Macs compared to Windows, there are still some games and programs Macs can't run, but that isn't all that much of a problem any more.

I figure all computers are becoming obsolete so fast any more that the chances of Windows folding up shop during the lifespan of your next one are pretty nil. :)

From what I'm reading getting a virus attack on a mac is a very very low probability. Isn't that refreshing?

From what I'm reading getting a virus attack on a mac is a very very low probability. Isn't that refreshing?

Macs are just as vulnerable as PCs but there are so few of them, the hacking rings don't bother trying to hack into them. There is a much more fertile field to attack in the PC world.

The theory is that computers are all going to thin client model, with most applications living in the cloud. Computers are becoming a commodity item.

Windows is to buggy to build a mission critical on, so mission critical will migrate to flavors of UNIX. All other applications will migrate to the cloud. Chrome is starting the trend with its own very light thin client OS with all the applications running on the cloud, also thin client.

Windows may vanish faster than mac, and then, maybe not. but 10 years from now people will be operating all their applications on cloud based OS.

Disclaimer: I really don't know any more than anybody else about this stuff, but I did look closely at Macs vs PCs when we were buying our last business computers. What I'm repeating here is what we were told.

I prefer the Mac, but as was already mentioned they are expensive. Because of that, most of my computers use either Windows or Linux. I'd stick with Windows unless you've got the $$$'s to spend on the Mac. IMO, you get what you pay for. Macs are generally a better buy if you've got the money.

The theory is that computers are all going to thin client model, with most applications living in the cloud. Computers are becoming a commodity item.

Windows is to buggy to build a mission critical on, so mission critical will migrate to flavors of UNIX. All other applications will migrate to the cloud. Chrome is starting the trend with its own very light thin client OS with all the applications running on the cloud, also thin client.

Windows may vanish faster than mac, and then, maybe not. but 10 years from now people will be operating all their applications on cloud based OS.

That might eventually happen. Larry Ellison has been talking about that for years, but it has yet to happen. The iPad might be instrumental in changing all that. Smart Phones and iPad-type devices are the wave of the future, but I'm still of the opinion that desktop and laptop computers will continue to reign supreme. We'll see. It's an exciting time.

There is nothing quite like playing a beautiful game or looking at great photos on my 24-inch monitor. I don't ever want to give that up. :)

Windows has been dying on the vine for years, yet Bill Gates keep getting richer.

Apple is the perfect computer if you are pretentious and want people to think you are rich.

That is what Apple wants you to believe. They still deny that viruses affect their machines, and only offer upgrades for major changes. They lie.

For a choice between Linux and Mac I'd take Linux. It's free, the applications are free, you can run it on cheap PCs and it'll still be fast and while you can still get viruses and trojans the likelihood is almost non-existent especially if you set it up properly.

For a choice between Linux and Mac I'd take Linux. It's free, the applications are free, you can run it on cheap PCs and it'll still be fast and while you can still get viruses and trojans the likelihood is almost non-existent especially if you set it up properly.

Will my Microsoft Office and Publisher run on Linux?

I am on a 24" iMac right now, have had it for 2 years, never so much as a hiccup. The screen is amazingly accurate and stunning, my photos look exactly like what I remember shooting. I have been using MACs for about 16 years and never had a virus or needed to load a driver or anything else, plug and play. I have downloaded over 6,000 songs and movies from a variety of sources and again, no problems. Did I mention that I have no virus protection?

My brothers and I have done extensive illustration and photography retouching, production of books and everything else you would do on a computer, no problems.

The standard line from Windows users is that hackers wouldn't bother to go after Apple products because they aren't big enough........ seems like someone would have gone after them by now just to shut a person like me up.

This is what you can get as far as the latest 27" iMac.....

27-inch: 2.7GHz
2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
2560 x 1440 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB
Ships: Within 24hrs
Free Shipping
$1,699.00

Many might say that is too much to pay but you are getting a stunningly good looking computer with a very reliable Operating System that makes Windows 7 look like last decades interface........ the wireless mouse is the absolute finest mouse I have ever touched and the wireless keyboard works flawlessly. It looks great on any desk but you can also take the stand off and put it on a swing out mount on the wall.

I spend a lot of time on my computer, it's worth every penny I paid for it.

I am on a 24" iMac right now, have had it for 2 years, never so much as a hiccup. The screen is amazingly accurate and stunning, my photos look exactly like what I remember shooting. I have been using MACs for about 16 years and never had a virus or needed to load a driver or anything else, plug and play. I have downloaded over 6,000 songs and movies from a variety of sources and again, no problems. Did I mention that I have no virus protection?

My brothers and I have done extensive illustration and photography retouching, production of books and everything else you would do on a computer, no problems.

The standard line from Windows users is that hackers wouldn't bother to go after Apple products because they aren't big enough........ seems like someone would have gone after them by now just to shut a person like me up.

This is what you can get as far as the latest 27" iMac.....

27-inch: 2.7GHz
2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
2560 x 1440 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB
Ships: Within 24hrs
Free Shipping
$1,699.00

Many might say that is too much to pay but you are getting a stunningly good looking computer with a very reliable Operating System that makes Windows 7 look like last decades interface........ the wireless mouse is the absolute finest mouse I have ever touched and the wireless keyboard works flawlessly. It looks great on any desk but you can also take the stand off and put it on a swing out mount on the wall.

I spend a lot of time on my computer, it's worth every penny I paid for it.

But when you just need a basic computer to do basic stuff and don't have a lot of money, you can get all that, perhaps without the stellar graphics you mention and with Windows 7 and all the problems inherent with that but which we are used to dealing with, for $500 to $600.

I would need a whole lot more computer than I currently need to spend $1700.

Will my Microsoft Office and Publisher run on Linux?
No but Libre Office or Open Office will and you can save your work to run in Windows Office. It will also automatically open any Winoffice in their format.
As for a Publisher application Scribus works on Linux/Unix, Mac, OS/2 Warp and Windows
All these are free to download and will run on Windows as well as Linux so you can install them and try them out on a windows machine, if you decide they're not for you then just uninstall.
Oh and you can download and install Linux like an application to try it out. It starts up like a dual boot but is not a dual boot. Again if you decide it's not for you just got to uninstall programs and uninstall it. I use Linux Mint, it's probably the most user friendly version of all the Linux distributions.

Macs are not really expensive when you consider their useful life. I bought a Power Mac 8500 in 1996 and still use it today. I did upgrade the processor to a G4 400. It has built in audio and video recording and I have a number of System 9 ProTools audio plug-ins that I still use. I bought it to replace my 10" Teac reel to reel tape recorder when it died.

System 9 is no longer useful for the internet, so I bought a 2002 dual 1.42gh G4 Mirror Door Drive Power Mac for less than $300 on eBay about 5 years ago to run System 10. It still works great, in fact I'm using it right now. Because Macs last so long without becoming obsolete, you can save quite a bit of money buying a good used one rather than spending a lot of money on a new one.

MacIntosh is overpriced.

Good boxes but far too expensive.

FWIW, I was personally responsible for the placement of millions and millions of dollars of APPLE computer technology in the schools of central and northern Maine.

I abandoned the MACINTOSH OS about the time that the G-3 series was in place (back in the mid 90s). I happened to win a Windows computer in a contest and slowly migrated to the Windows OS after that.

I still own about 7 or 8 Macs, ranging from a liate 80s MAC Plus and going all the way up to the mid 90s G-3 models.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back