What causes a remote to work on-and-off?

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
By that - I mean sometimes my TV (yes-this a little off-topic) doesn't respond to the remote. I have 3 remotes specific to the TV - and a universal remote.

It is a 9 year old TV/VCR/DVD combo. Toshiba.

For 8 years - no problems whatsover.

Recently - once every few weeks - the TV stops responding to the remote (you can still operate the TV manually) then after a few hours - the problem fixes itself - and the remote works fine.

Does anybody know what causes this?

Yeah, put new batteries in the remote.

Thanks for the flippant help.

Yeah - I already thought about the batteries - and I even point the remote straight at the sensor on theTV set.

Its working again now anyway..................

Last edited:
Yeah, put new batteries in the remote.

Thanks for the flippant help.

Yeah - I already thought about the batteries - and I even point the remote straight at the sensor on theTV set.

Its working again now anyway..................

:lol: Awww come on, that was a classic answer! Thinking about the batteries won't do squat, try changing them. heh

Try cleaning the sensor on the tv and also on the remote, sometimes stuff/dirt can obstruct it.

Try getting a new remote because sometimes they just break.

Are you using rechargeable batteries? Some electronic gadgets do better with regular batteries.

If all else fails use your kid as the remote control, that's what they're for. :D

Sounds like your sensor might be going out?
How long has it been since you cleaned the sensor? I mean really good, getting all the little cracks and nooks in it. I use a q-tip sprayed with an electronic cleaner.

I haven't cleaned the sensor in 9 years.

Thanks for the tip -will give it a try.

Forum List

Back