Mac laptop computers?????

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Big Black Dog, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,760
    I have never owned a Mac computer but all of a sudden I have an interest. Currently I have lots of PC's. I have an almost new HP TouchSmart that I'm using to post this and I also have, count them, five HP laptop computers. Three of them are fairly new and two have been around for awhile.

I understand you stand less of a change of getting a virus on a Mac. Is this true? Also, I do a lot of photography stuff and I've been told by friends that the graphics on a Mac are superior to that of a PC.

Somebody who really knows, and is just not a loyal Mac fan, please fill me in. What's the real deal about Macs?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.:confused:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Okay, the virus thing is mostly because there hadn't been enough of an interest for so long that virus coders just had no reason to. But with the increased interest the danger would increase, if not for the fact that they are using Linux as the backbone to their OS now. Linux can't really "get" a virus, unless the user is stupid enough to download and install something from an untrusted source, because you have to give permission for anything to access the system directories.

Macs are not really better or worse, they have different benefits and drawbacks, so it comes down to preference. I never use them simply because I like the variety of PC with Linux ... Mac you just don't have that variety. But the increased cost in them pays for the one thing other OS's do not have, customer service. MS won't care about you unless you have a business and a contract with them, Linux you are on your own. Mac though, any little problem and you can call their customer support for help.

Capabilities are about the same.

3. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    test out the screen capture feature on macs. you can easily crop and save images to port into other software. lots of neat features on macs that are simply easy to use. once you get de-pc-ized you will never go back.

lottsa luck

and welcome to the cult.

/;O

d.:eusa_whistle:

4. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    :eusa_eh: Um .. you can even do that in Windoze ... though Windoze has less automated stuff. In Linux I do that all the time, even vid screen caps while working for tutorials and such.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,136
    I went through 3 PCs in 4 years, got so sick and tired of Windows that I walked into the store the next day and bought an iMac on the spot. Haven't had a problem since. I'm thinking about getting an MacBook or an MacBookAir some time in the future.

However, if you have to do a lot of business applications such as anything with Office, I'd stick to a PC.

6. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    In my windoze laptop I could never crop an inmage and save it using the mouse and a keyboard command. ease of use...mac rules. I would do graphic crap on the fly while posting (usually ann image grab to use to mock :eek: members).

7. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    :lol:

welcome

the cost of a pc may be cheaper, but the headaches associated with a pc aren't worth the trouble (at elast for most normal folks):eusa_whistle:

8. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    :eusa_eh: Um ... "Print Screen" ... it's right on the keyboard. In Windoze it copies to a buffer which you can paste into whatever pain program you like, in Gnome it opens a dialogue allowing you to choose what to do with it. As I said, Mac is for people who just don't want to know how the machines work and like having access to customer service, that's what you pay for with it. Windoze is obsolete now, and quickly all the popular Windoze programs (even the games) are being ported to Linux for PC's. Mac is even converting, just again, you will get customer service with Mac, PC with Linux you are pretty much on your own.

9. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    print screen prints the whole screen, no? with a mac one can drag and crop any image and stea...borrow...copy it. could never do it with windows xp.

10. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,028
    Well I'm not really a technical computer guy, but as an average user I can say I prefer my MacBook to my PC. I like the fact that there is less of a chance of a virus, and it runs much better. I won't be buying another PC.