Mac laptop computers?????

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
I have never owned a Mac computer but all of a sudden I have an interest. Currently I have lots of PC's. I have an almost new HP TouchSmart that I'm using to post this and I also have, count them, five HP laptop computers. Three of them are fairly new and two have been around for awhile.

I understand you stand less of a change of getting a virus on a Mac. Is this true? Also, I do a lot of photography stuff and I've been told by friends that the graphics on a Mac are superior to that of a PC.

Somebody who really knows, and is just not a loyal Mac fan, please fill me in. What's the real deal about Macs?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.:confused:

Last edited:
Okay, the virus thing is mostly because there hadn't been enough of an interest for so long that virus coders just had no reason to. But with the increased interest the danger would increase, if not for the fact that they are using Linux as the backbone to their OS now. Linux can't really "get" a virus, unless the user is stupid enough to download and install something from an untrusted source, because you have to give permission for anything to access the system directories.

Macs are not really better or worse, they have different benefits and drawbacks, so it comes down to preference. I never use them simply because I like the variety of PC with Linux ... Mac you just don't have that variety. But the increased cost in them pays for the one thing other OS's do not have, customer service. MS won't care about you unless you have a business and a contract with them, Linux you are on your own. Mac though, any little problem and you can call their customer support for help.

Capabilities are about the same.

I have never owned a Mac computer but all of a sudden I have an interest. Currently I have lots of PC's. I have an almost new HP TouchSmart that I'm using to post this and I also have, count them, five HP laptop computers. Three of them are fairly new and two have been around for awhile.

I understand you stand less of a change of getting a virus on a Mac. Is this true? Also, I do a lot of photography stuff and I've been told by friends that the graphics on a Mac are superior to that of a PC.

Somebody who really knows, and is just not a loyal Mac fan, please fill me in. What's the real deal about Macs?

test out the screen capture feature on macs. you can easily crop and save images to port into other software. lots of neat features on macs that are simply easy to use. once you get de-pc-ized you will never go back.

lottsa luck

and welcome to the cult.

/;O

d.:eusa_whistle:

test out the screen capture feature on macs. you can easily crop and save images to port into other software. lots of neat features on macs that are simply easy to use. once you get de-pc-ized you will never go back.

lottsa luck

and welcome to the cult.

/;O

:eusa_eh: Um .. you can even do that in Windoze ... though Windoze has less automated stuff. In Linux I do that all the time, even vid screen caps while working for tutorials and such.

I went through 3 PCs in 4 years, got so sick and tired of Windows that I walked into the store the next day and bought an iMac on the spot. Haven't had a problem since. I'm thinking about getting an MacBook or an MacBookAir some time in the future.

However, if you have to do a lot of business applications such as anything with Office, I'd stick to a PC.

lottsa luck

and welcome to the cult.

/;O

:eusa_eh: Um .. you can even do that in Windoze ... though Windoze has less automated stuff. In Linux I do that all the time, even vid screen caps while working for tutorials and such.
In my windoze laptop I could never crop an inmage and save it using the mouse and a keyboard command. ease of use...mac rules. I would do graphic crap on the fly while posting (usually ann image grab to use to mock :eek: members).

I went through 3 PCs in 4 years, got so sick and tired of Windows that I walked into the store the next day and bought an iMac on the spot. Haven't had a problem since. I'm thinking about getting an MacBook or an MacBookAir some time in the future.

However, if you have to do a lot of business applications such as anything with Office, I'd stick to a PC.

:lol:

welcome

the cost of a pc may be cheaper, but the headaches associated with a pc aren't worth the trouble (at elast for most normal folks):eusa_whistle:

lottsa luck

and welcome to the cult.

/;O

In my windoze laptop I could never crop an inmage and save it using the mouse and a keyboard command. ease of use...mac rules. I would do graphic crap on the fly while posting (usually ann image grab to use to mock :eek: members).

:eusa_eh: Um ... "Print Screen" ... it's right on the keyboard. In Windoze it copies to a buffer which you can paste into whatever pain program you like, in Gnome it opens a dialogue allowing you to choose what to do with it. As I said, Mac is for people who just don't want to know how the machines work and like having access to customer service, that's what you pay for with it. Windoze is obsolete now, and quickly all the popular Windoze programs (even the games) are being ported to Linux for PC's. Mac is even converting, just again, you will get customer service with Mac, PC with Linux you are pretty much on your own.

Well I'm not really a technical computer guy, but as an average user I can say I prefer my MacBook to my PC. I like the fact that there is less of a chance of a virus, and it runs much better. I won't be buying another PC.

print screen prints the whole screen, no? with a mac one can drag and crop any image and stea...borrow...copy it. could never do it with windows xp.

You really are computer illiterate, good thing you have a Mac then because you sound so lost without someone telling you how to turn them on.

print screen prints the whole screen, no? with a mac one can drag and crop any image and stea...borrow...copy it. could never do it with windows xp.

You really are computer illiterate, good thing you have a Mac then because you sound so lost without someone telling you how to turn them on.

heh, heh, heh,.. whenever I ask a pc person to show me how to do anything on a pc that I could do on my mac...

I fall asleep aiting for a questionable result. Maybe you expect everyone to spend there life time learning their way around windows just in order to do what is a simple task on a mac.\

yawn, you are boring me already.

pssst, how is your virus protection working? how much did IT cost including all yearlky updates? how ofetn do you have to clean and do other tasks in order to maintain a running 'puter?

heh, heh, heh,.. whenever I ask a pc person to show me how to do anything on a pc that I could do on my mac...

I fall asleep aiting for a questionable result. Maybe you expect everyone to spend there life time learning their way around windows just in order to do what is a simple task on a mac.\

yawn, you are boring me already.

pssst, how is your virus protection working? how much did IT cost including all yearlky updates? how ofetn do you have to clean and do other tasks in order to maintain a running 'puter?

You are dense as hell aren't you ... LOL

My virus protection is 100% free ... :cool: the great Penguin covers it all just fine.

Thanks for the great advice everybody. I did decide on a new Mac laptop and I ordered it last night from the Mac Store. I ordered a 17 inch Mac Book Pro. I can't wait for it to arrive. My wife, as usual, gave me that look. You know the look guys get when they buy new toys. I'm pacing like a tiger in a cage waiting... My wife wants to know what I'm going to do with all the other laptops? Where are those grandkids when you really need them???:lol:

Okay, the virus thing is mostly because there hadn't been enough of an interest for so long that virus coders just had no reason to. But with the increased interest the danger would increase, if not for the fact that they are using Linux as the backbone to their OS now. Linux can't really "get" a virus, unless the user is stupid enough to download and install something from an untrusted source, because you have to give permission for anything to access the system directories.

Macs are not really better or worse, they have different benefits and drawbacks, so it comes down to preference. I never use them simply because I like the variety of PC with Linux ... Mac you just don't have that variety. But the increased cost in them pays for the one thing other OS's do not have, customer service. MS won't care about you unless you have a business and a contract with them, Linux you are on your own. Mac though, any little problem and you can call their customer support for help.

You can run Windoze or Linux on an Intel Mac, and you can run most Linux apps in Mac OS X if you install the optional X 11 software which comes with the OS X install disk. but must be selected as an option during installation. How much more variety do you need?

You can run Windoze or Linux on an Intel Mac, and you can run most Linux apps in Mac OS X if you install the optional X 11 software which comes with the OS X install disk. but must be selected as an option during installation. How much more variety do you need?

True ... sorry, still use to the older Macs that had no option for such. but if you do install over their OS you pretty much lose the benefit you are paying for, the extra customer support. Now however, as I said, they are going Linux/Unix more each new release and soon they may be completely Linux, but still, I like my PCs with Linux, I like to customize the hardware a LOT and change it up frequently, just can't do that with Macs as much since I didn't grow up with them.

True ... sorry, still use to the older Macs that had no option for such. but if you do install over their OS you pretty much lose the benefit you are paying for, the extra customer support. Now however, as I said, they are going Linux/Unix more each new release and soon they may be completely Linux, but still, I like my PCs with Linux, I like to customize the hardware a LOT and change it up frequently, just can't do that with Macs as much since I didn't grow up with them.

The ridiculous condescending attitude you have towards MAC users is typical of geeks. Great, you spend your life focused on everything about computers, who gives a shit? I don't care about building a computer system, I also don't want to build a car or an airplane, I just want to use them to get what I need out of them. I also want for them to work all of the time, in a logical way, look good on my desk and show a great amount of creativity in their design........ inside and out.

You use Linux, good for you, enjoy it. I use OSX on an IMac and don't have to waste time I can be using to do something else, working on my computer, I work with it. The time you have spent working on computers is great, good for you, hope you make a good living at it. But...... others have also spent their lives learning what they enjoy and shouldn't be denigrated for not being a computer geek. The fact that you parrot the bullshit excuse for lack of viruses in MACs tells me you know less than you think. Are we really suppose to believe that the type of asshole that creates viruses wouldn't want to create one for MAC just to shut people like me up? I have no fire wall, no virus protection....... I open all email, have downloaded over 5,000 songs and movies and never had a hiccup on my old G4......... never a crash with OSX. That makes owning a MAC worth it to me, but then again, I don't play games and couldn't give a crap about putting tacky little lights and liquid cooling in my machine.

You don't have to install Windoze or Linux over the Mac OS X and if you use the program Parallels Desktop, which some retailers like MacMall throw in for free when you buy an Intel Mac from them, you can have all three OS running at the same time and copy and paste between them. Pretty neat, yes?

The ridiculous condescending attitude you have towards MAC users is typical of geeks. Great, you spend your life focused on everything about computers, who gives a shit? I don't care about building a computer system, I also don't want to build a car or an airplane, I just want to use them to get what I need out of them. I also want for them to work all of the time, in a logical way, look good on my desk and show a great amount of creativity in their design........ inside and out.

You use Linux, good for you, enjoy it. I use OSX on an IMac and don't have to waste time I can be using to do something else, working on my computer, I work with it. The time you have spent working on computers is great, good for you, hope you make a good living at it. But...... others have also spent their lives learning what they enjoy and shouldn't be denigrated for not being a computer geek. The fact that you parrot the bullshit excuse for lack of viruses in MACs tells me you know less than you think. Are we really suppose to believe that the type of asshole that creates viruses wouldn't want to create one for MAC just to shut people like me up? I have no fire wall, no virus protection....... I open all email, have downloaded over 5,000 songs and movies and never had a hiccup on my old G4......... never a crash with OSX. That makes owning a MAC worth it to me, but then again, I don't play games and couldn't give a crap about putting tacky little lights and liquid cooling in my machine.

Your reading comprehension is VERY poor ... so very very very poor ...

You don't even realize that I have endorsed Macs a lot do you? You don't seem to notice that for all new computer users who are not interested in becoming geeks I always recommend Macs ... do you?

As for the virus "excuse", it's not an excuse, it's a fact. Until they went Unix/Linux core they had no security, but then they didn't need it because sensitive information was not commonly stored on them, considering that all the government agencies HAVE to use Microsoft only products thanks to a contract they signed a long time ago, which I don't think should be valid anymore but meh, besides the point.

Thanks for the great advice everybody. I did decide on a new Mac laptop and I ordered it last night from the Mac Store. I ordered a 17 inch Mac Book Pro. I can't wait for it to arrive. My wife, as usual, gave me that look. You know the look guys get when they buy new toys. I'm pacing like a tiger in a cage waiting... My wife wants to know what I'm going to do with all the other laptops? Where are those grandkids when you really need them???:lol:

Great decision, incredible computer and gorgeous screen. Be sure to turn out the lights when you get it so you can see how well the keyboard lighting works.

The whole idea that MACs work best for creative uses like photography and painting is somewhat outdated. The art world did embrace the MAC when computers started hitting the streets(they were simpler to use and learn, artists didn't want to be computer science majors to work on them)and Adobe created their software for them because that was where their customers were, that is no longer the case. Photoshop, Painter, etc. are available for either Operating System, it's just that most service bureaus, printers, ad agencies, photography studios and etc. tend to have a majority of Apple computers. That and they are very dependable, they work which allows you to work without worrying about what you are working with.

If you are going to get serious about photo work, Creative Suite 4 is a must and a Wacom tablet is irreplaceable.

I don't give you a week on your new MAC before you say WTF have I been doing all these years not using these.:cool:

Forum List

Back