A question

Phoenix

fideli certa merces
Apr 10, 2009
out of the ashes
for any/all of you who are more computer literate than me (pretty much everyone on here, I think).

What is an "orphaned" file?

Why did I have a bunch of them on my computer?

Are they good/bad/indifferent?

Any and all attempts at explaining it in a way I can understand are appreciated. Hand puppets, flannelgraph boards, coloring sheets and snack breaks are welcomed during said explanation. ;)

for any/all of you who are more computer literate than me (pretty much everyone on here, I think).

What is an "orphaned" file?

Why did I have a bunch of them on my computer?

Are they good/bad/indifferent?

Any and all attempts at explaining it in a way I can understand are appreciated. Hand puppets, flannelgraph boards, coloring sheets and snack breaks are welcomed during said explanation. ;)

They are library (dll) or source files (in Linux) which are no longer used by anything. Careful though, sometimes your personal files can be marked orphaned if there is nothing associated with them. But they are safe to delete if you don't want them, mostly they just take up space, but if you are like me and install to test software you may want to keep some of those if you recognize them so they don't have to be reinstalled every time.

They are library (dll) or source files (in Linux) which are no longer used by anything. Careful though, sometimes your personal files can be marked orphaned if there is nothing associated with them. But they are safe to delete if you don't want them, mostly they just take up space, but if you are like me and install to test software you may want to keep some of those if you recognize them so they don't have to be reinstalled every time.

No snacks? :(

Oh well.

My computer - using Vista - dealt with it automatically. I just noticed it and wondered what was up. Think they might have been pictures I deleted or something of that sort.

Thanks KK. Even though there were no puppets either.

No snacks? :(

Oh well.

My computer - using Vista - dealt with it automatically. I just noticed it and wondered what was up. Think they might have been pictures I deleted or something of that sort.

Thanks KK. Even though there were no puppets either.

We used to have graham cracker squares, and milk. My how things change.

I'm eating Craisins right now, since KK didn't bring snacks to the explanation. No puppets either - I was pretty bummed about that since I was looking for some entertainment. :(

I'm eating Craisins right now, since KK didn't bring snacks to the explanation. No puppets either - I was pretty bummed about that since I was looking for some entertainment. :(

I sorry ... ask a geek a question, get a geek answer. Linux doesn't automate anything though ... hell, I even have to run an extra app to find the orphaned ones, but the huge bonus is that if I install something that needs the file later it doesn't have to redownload it.

Send me your full name, credit card number, and the 3-4 letters on the back at the end, and I can fix it for you...

Wow - you're such a helpful guy. I'll PM those to you right away.

Are you sure you don't need my bank routing numbers too?

I sorry ... ask a geek a question, get a geek answer. Linux doesn't automate anything though ... hell, I even have to run an extra app to find the orphaned ones, but the huge bonus is that if I install something that needs the file later it doesn't have to redownload it.

No problem KK - I appreciate you taking the time to respond. :)

Forum List

Back