M. Night Shyamalan

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
Are you familiar with Shyamalan’s movies? I think he is one of the most interesting writers working in films today. His film credits include “The Sixth Sense,” “Unbreakable,” “Signs,” and “The Village.” I think most people liked “The Sixth Sense,” especially if they were caught by the surprise ending. The other films have been less successful. Perhaps that is because of the slow, deliberate pace with which Shyamalan stories unfold. I thought “Unbreakable” was a clever story and an excellent film, but most people were bored, thinking the film was too slow. The ending of “Unbreakable” was very surprising to me. Anyway, I am writing this because last night I saw “The Village.” Again, the pace of this Shyamalan film was slow and methodical. With an excellent cast, including William Hurt, Sigourney Weaver, Adrien Brody, and Joaquin Phoenix, the ending was unexpected, but more upbeat than “The Sixth Sense” or “Unbreakable.” I do not recommend Shyamalan films to others because I have learned that most people do not care for them. But I like his writing because of the surprises and how he does not bail out with predictable happy endings. He has two movies coming up: “Lady in the Water” and “Life of Pi.”

Yes, his movies are slow, but I too liked "The Village". I like the way his movies generally take unexpected twists and turns. Makes for interesting entertainment!

The Sixth Sense and The Village were very good films. I don't mind a slower pace, but then I didn't grow up on MTV jump cuts. Too often these days, films hurry through character build up and we don't get to know or care about them before something happens to them.

To Kill A Mockingbird moves slowly, in keeping with the pace of the southern town portrayed in it, and I consider it one of the finest movies made.

I really enjoyed The Sixth Sense. I didn't expect a surprise ending though as I was expecting a horror movie and completely missed all the obvious symbolism and what not.

I thought Unbreakable sucked. It wasn't particularly interesting and by the end I was pretty much thinking to myself, "great, you're his antithesis, who cares."

Signs was alright. There were a number of unnerving scenes, but I felt the ending was so anticlimactic that it completely ruined the movie.

I haven't seen The Village, and even though I guessed the ending to that before it even hit the theatres (friend confirmed it for me), I'd still like to see it.

Forum List

Back