Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince review **beware of spoilers**

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I just got done reading the book. Yes, I am already done with it, though I just got it Friday night. I have pretty much been reading it since that time-any chance I got. It is 652 pages long, 30 chapters, but reads VERY fast. I will try not to divulge too much in respect to those who haven't finished it yet.

There were MANY things that I expected to happen, but my suspicions and predictions of many of the characters AND events were either 100% dead on or 100% inaccurate.

I will not divulge who the Half-Blood Prince is, but I will say this-He was my first guess after Harry received the ________ and what was in it----well, you'll have to read the book.

I know I like the book 100%, but the ending I wasn't too keen on. Then again, I was definitely expecting something way different.

Harry does have a little romance in the book, and if you read more into the little hints, particularly in the first couple chapters, you will be able to accurately tell who it is-and its not a surprise :D - I was hoping it would happen, as did most other HP fans.

There were MANY answers to lingering questions in this book, and JKR does a very good job at incorporating most of those into a great series of events, and keep everything moving. Most of the book, we learn MUCH about Voldemort's past, how he grew up, and came to be what he is, AND we learn how he made himself immortal. We also learn more on WHY he went after Harry. Book 5 touched on it, but this one puts it more into perspective, with more background info. We also learn how Harry can defeat Voldemort.

The only negative part that I do give it, is it starts out a bit slow, much like #4, the Goblet of Fire, going back in time describing past history, rather than starting at Privet Drive with Harry. But half-way through the 2nd chapter, it starts picking up. JKR actually has stated that the first chapter of this book, was actually slated to be the first chapter for the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone. It would have made sense, but it would have also dragged that book down. The series gets darker and more scary as they go along, and since #1 is fairly light, this chapter really wouldn't fit. It would also give more away, too early, thus leaving less for the last two books.

The Dursleys do make an appearance, as usual, but not so much this time. I kinda wished they would have been more present in the beginning, maybe Dudley getting bullied by Harry for a change, but ya can't have everything.

Yes someone dies (actually, many people do, at the hand of Voldemort and the Death Eaters, which is a given), but the one I am talking about is a main character. It came as a shocker, and I actually cried when it happened. The person dies at the hands of another main character, which I was surprised at, but not surprised given past events and backstories. I guess, after all this time, after becoming kind of attached to the characters, I feel like someone I know and have grown fond of, has died.

The next book is sure to be somewhat hard to read, given one of the main characters is gone, but I do want to see what happens in the end. I am not sure I will like the choice(s) Harry made at the end of this book, as it foretells what will happen in the last one. It is kind of saddening. But I am still looking forward to the last of the septology, nonetheless.

I'm interested to find out in the next one whether or not he becomes tempted by all that power Voldemort has, see if he wants it for himself. Sort of like Anakin in Star Wars. I noticed he tried to pull a couple Cruciatus Curses near the end.

I tried to avoid them, but there may be a spoiler or two in there.

To tell the truth I was a little disappointed with the depth at the end of the book. I was surprised at the character who died, I think everyone will be. I was not surprised at Harry's or Ron's love interests (not the one he dated the one that he wants to date.) However, to spend all that time making sure Harry understood the importance of love then to end it with him breaking it off so that it wouldn't get too deep was a little shortsighted IMO. The foreshadowing in this one was a little transparent too... Overall a good book, but not to the standards of the previous ones.

Overall I loved the book, but the ending seemed a little cobbled together, too many "that never happened befores" happened too easily with no explanation or history (this is what I meant by the depth at the end). It seemed like she was reaching the end of the contract and filled in the end too quickly, it just didn't seem as fleshed-out as the rest of the book.

All that being said, the book was really good and I am looking forward to the next. The search for the H........ will be interesting. It will be really interesting to see how Harry goes about finding them without the help of Hermione and Ron at his back or, if she and Ron will be there with him, how they will explain people like Hermione quitting school early to roam the contryside looking for H........ when we all know that would be an incredible loss to the character.

no1tovote4 said:
I tried to avoid them, but there may be a spoiler or two in there.

To tell the truth I was a little disappointed with the depth at the end of the book. I was surprised at the character who died, I think everyone will be. I was not surprised at Harry's or Ron's love interests (not the one he dated the one that he wants to date.) However, to spend all that time making sure Harry understood the importance of love then to end it with him breaking it off so that it wouldn't get too deep was a little shortsighted IMO. The foreshadowing in this one was a little transparent too... Overall a good book, but not to the standards of the previous ones.

Overall I loved the book, but the ending seemed a little cobbled together, too many "that never happened befores" happened too easily with no explanation or history (this is what I meant by the depth at the end). It seemed like she was reaching the end of the contract and filled in the end too quickly, it just didn't seem as fleshed-out as the rest of the book.

All that being said, the book was really good and I am looking forward to the next. The search for the H........ will be interesting. It will be really interesting to see how Harry goes about finding them without the help of Hermione and Ron at his back or, if she and Ron will be there with him, how they will explain people like Hermione quitting school early to roam the contryside looking for H........ when we all know that would be an incredible loss to the character.

i felt the same way too. i think the reason behind the less complicated ending is, is because this is the 2nd to last book, and it is more about answers to current questions and trying to avoid creating more new ones than answers to current. also, this book is by far the most serious, because it is basically getting down to the wire. i am sure i will like it better the 2nd time i read it, which i am in the process of doing now-but a bit slower. i was in a bit of a hurry to finish it and see what happens at the end, that i want to go back and fully take in everything that i read.

i felt the same way about the Prisoner if Azkaban movie when i saw it opening night. i liked it because i thought it was nicely done, but part of me was expecting something closer in style to the first two. i guess i didn't take to the changes very well. when i saw it again on DVD, i liked it more, and now i like it a lot. it just took a while to get used to the differences.

there were changes in this book that i felt were kind of dramatic, but again, harry is now 16, and now so close to being considered an adult, i think the writing of the book took on a more serious attitude, especially on how Dumbledore treats Harry-as more of an adult, than a child, and does show that he knows Harry can handle anything now.

****the following passage contains spoilers*****

I hate to see Harry leave school. However, I have a theory, as well as many others I encounter on mugglenet.com, that Harry was inadvertantly made the last Horcrux in Voldemort's attempt to kill him-so in order to finish voldemort off, he must sacrifice himself.

I also think that most of us didn't truly believe that Dumbledore would be killed, so we are having a hard time coming to terms with it, thus i think it is another reason why some people are not enjoying this book. like i said in my review, us fans have somewhat grown with these characters, and especially one who has been one of the backbones of the series, and you pretty much counted on being there to the end. i actually think that the fans are in a kind of 'mourning' state. Once it hits home and it is accepted, and the shock has worn off, the book should have more of the same feeling as the other 5.

AND the initial's R.A.B. most of us think is Sirius's brother Regulus, who if you remember, was a Death Eater, but tried to back out, and was murdered for doing so.

**** Spoilers*****

Regulus was the first person that I thought of as soon as I saw the initials. It will be interesting to see if he is still alive and if he finds Harry, it would be a shame to see them working against one another toward the same end.

I was not so shocked about Harry leaving as I was about Hermione saying she would be right there with him. That is so not with her character. Ron has come of age, so I could see him leaving school. Harry wanted to be an Auror, but I think he is seeing that working in the system is, in this case, just as bad as being part of the problem.

I thought of the whole Harry as the Horcrux right away, but I am wishy-washy on it because of Dumbledore saying that he could not live within Harry because of the vast differences between them. My theory is they are linked together by more than Prophecy, that there was a small exchange of souls rather than Harry being a Horcrux himself. If he is the Horcrux I think the piece of soul is contained within the scar only, that it will be painful to remove but not death-defying. I don't think he will have to sacrifice himself as JKR has stated she is thinking seriously of writing more than just the seven books and continuing the story of Harry.

Harry Potter fanaticism is a cult. Just like Star Wars is a cult.
You are all POSSESSED! :rotflmao:

Gabriella84 said:
Harry Potter fanaticism is a cult. Just like Star Wars is a cult.
You are all POSSESSED! :rotflmao:

Yeah, possessed. :rolleyes:

:D

It's also contagious, you will buy the book very soon....

no1tovote4 said:
**** Spoilers*****

I thought of the whole Harry as the Horcrux right away, but I am wishy-washy on it because of Dumbledore saying that he could not live within Harry because of the vast differences between them. My theory is they are linked together by more than Prophecy, that there was a small exchange of souls rather than Harry being a Horcrux himself. If he is the Horcrux I think the piece of soul is contained within the scar only, that it will be painful to remove but not death-defying. I don't think he will have to sacrifice himself as JKR has stated she is thinking seriously of writing more than just the seven books and continuing the story of Harry.

good point about this. my husband made the same point, because he reminded me that the prophecy said "...for neither can live while the other survives", basically, one must kill the other, and he stated that good always triumphs over evil, so Harry dying probably won't happen, but then, in JKR's world, nothing is absolute and never take a character's word for it on anything, unless there is proof otherwise.

no1tovote4 said:
Regulus was the first person that I thought of as soon as I saw the initials. It will be interesting to see if he is still alive and if he finds Harry, it would be a shame to see them working against one another toward the same end.

I was not so shocked about Harry leaving as I was about Hermione saying she would be right there with him. That is so not with her character. Ron has come of age, so I could see him leaving school. Harry wanted to be an Auror, but I think he is seeing that working in the system is, in this case, just as bad as being part of the problem.

Regulus was killed by the Death Eaters or Voldemort himself (though in book 5, Sirius says that he doubts Regulus was important enough for Voldemort to do it in person), so I doubt he is alive. Also, in book 4, where Voldemort is listing off the 6 DE's who are not with them in the circle, and by deducing who is who, Regulus would not fit into any of them, because there were the Lestranges, who were in Azkaban, Karkaroff-left service forever, will be killed, Snape-positioned at Hogwarts(though i had Karkaroff switched with him, as did most people), Barty Crouch Jr-most devoted, and another that i think was in Azkaban-i don't have my book with me, i will check when i get home. Regulus was not mentioned at all, nor would he fit any of the descriptions, since as Sirius said he was bumped off for trying to 'leave the gang' long ago. However, it would be cool if he already found a couple of the Horcruxes and destroyed them before he was killed.

As far as Hermione leaving, this does seem out of character, but also ties in that she feels Harry should have back up, and with her brains, I think it is actually a good idea. I can tell Ron would back up his best friend, so that too, didn't surprise me. I couldn't see Harry going through without Ron and Hermione at his side.

fuzzykitten99 said:
Regulus was killed by the Death Eaters or Voldemort himself (though in book 5, Sirius says that he doubts Regulus was important enough for Voldemort to do it in person), so I doubt he is alive. Also, in book 4, where Voldemort is listing off the 6 DE's who are not with them in the circle, and by deducing who is who, Regulus would not fit into any of them, because there were the Lestranges, who were in Azkaban, Karkaroff-left service forever, will be killed, Snape-positioned at Hogwarts(though i had Karkaroff switched with him, as did most people), Barty Crouch Jr-most devoted, and another that i think was in Azkaban-i don't have my book with me, i will check when i get home. Regulus was not mentioned at all, nor would he fit any of the descriptions, since as Sirius said he was bumped off for trying to 'leave the gang' long ago. However, it would be cool if he already found a couple of the Horcruxes and destroyed them before he was killed.

That Voldemort himself didn't do it personally makes it more likely that Romulus might have survived the attack on himself. JKR likes to bring people back that were assumed dead, and that were assumed bad guys and make them new again.

As far as Hermione leaving, this does seem out of character, but also ties in that she feels Harry should have back up, and with her brains, I think it is actually a good idea. I can tell Ron would back up his best friend, so that too, didn't surprise me. I couldn't see Harry going through without Ron and Hermione at his side.

I think it more likely that she would help from school until she has achieved her N.E.W.T.s rather than have her quit school, plus access to the Library will be one thing Harry will need.

Before the new HP book was released, I read some of the wild speculation about the plot twists that were promised. Let me know if any of them came true. Not likely, of course, but you never know.

A -- Harry loses his virginity (to a girl, I hope)

B -- Harry leaves his school after someone is murdered

C -- Harry is tossed out of school for doing something dastardly

D -- Harry begins using his wizard skills for evil

SO ... did one of the main characters really get killed off.

(No, I am NOT going to read the book! I dislike fiction. We get enough of it from The White House :usa: )

no1tovote4 said:
That Voldemort himself didn't do it personally makes it more likely that Romulus might have survived the attack on himself. JKR likes to bring people back that were assumed dead, and that were assumed bad guys and make them new again.

I think it more likely that she would help from school until she has achieved her N.E.W.T.s rather than have her quit school, plus access to the Library will be one thing Harry will need.

ooh! all good theories! the first one made my hair stand up...

Gabriella84 said:
Before the new HP book was released, I read some of the wild speculation about the plot twists that were promised. Let me know if any of them came true. Not likely, of course, but you never know.

A -- Harry loses his virginity (to a girl, I hope)
Nope, He does hook up with a girl but all they do is "snogging" which is kissing in the slang of the book.

B -- Harry leaves his school after someone is murdered

Yup.
C -- Harry is tossed out of school for doing something dastardly

Nope.
D -- Harry begins using his wizard skills for evil

Nope.
SO ... did one of the main characters really get killed off.

Yup. Of course most of these would have been answered if you had read the thread.

no1tovote4 said:
Nope, He does hook up with a girl but all they do is "snogging" which is kissing in the slang of the book.

i actually found the first one to be kind of offensive (see that Gabby, YOU offended someone! uh oh, I better call the ACLU on you!), considering romance is not the point of the book, though it makes for a good side story.

JKR may put gory details of battle scenes (see duelling scene with Malfoy in book 6 to see what i mean), but she would never put something like sex or anything suggesting it, into books intended/marketed for those under 18, though people well over that age read them.

So vivid details of gory dismemberment and death are OK for young readers, but love and romance are not?

Now that Harry has left the Hogwarts school, I predict that the final HP book will see him travel to London and start sleeping around. Safe sex, of course!

Harry: "My dear lady, I have slain a dragon for you and turned your stalkerish ex-boyfriend into a newt."

Leticia: "Oh Harry, you wonderful man! Come upstairs and show me your swordsmanship!"

Gabriella84 said:
So vivid details of gory dismemberment and death are OK for young readers, but love and romance are not?

Love and romance were part of the story, you didn't read the post at all. Both Harry and Ron have love interests as well as Hermione and Ginny. That they weren't having sex everywhere does not mean that love and romance were not part of the story.

Now that Harry has left the Hogwarts school, I predict that the final HP book will see him travel to London and start sleeping around. Safe sex, of course!

I predict that Harry will be traveling the world finding the Horcruxes to destroy and sleeping around will probably not be an option as he already denied himself the relationship that was joyful in order to pursue this more dangerous course.

Harry: "My dear lady, I have slain a dragon for you and turned your stalkerish ex-boyfriend into a newt."

Leticia: "Oh Harry, you wonderful man! Come upstairs and show me your swordsmanship!"
LOL.... Reminds me a little of the Holy Grail...

She turned me into a newt!
(everybody looks at the insane man)

Well, I got better!

The genius of Monty Python!

Now go away, or I will taunt you a second time. :funnyface

Okay, okay... I read the book!

*******SPOILERS!!!*******

I was VERY disappointed in Snape. I had this whole theory that he was actually in love with Harry's mother, and that was why he decided to work against the Death Eaters, because V killed her. They said at one point that she didn't have to die; I thought V would have left her alive as a reward to Snape for the information about Harry. Dumbledore did say that the only thing that could save someone from power like V's was love, so I thought Snape's love for Lily would release him. It would have been such a sweet, sad love story. :sigh:

My husband still thinks that Snape will somehow turn out to be good, that the thing with Dumbledore was planned between them. But, how would they explain the hatred in Snape's face as he looked at Dumbledore at the end? And at Harry when he turned on him as he was fleeing Hogwarts? Also, why didn't he do better by Harry during the occlumency lessons? The final nail in Snape's coffin is what Fuzzy said about JKR wanting to continue the series... Snape could go on to be the bad guy. Did he know anything about Horcruxes?

Now, here's something I can't remember, and I wonder if anyone else can... In one of the earlier books, there was a character who said he was so much like the Dark Lord bc he also had killed his father. Who was that character? Anyone know? Was it Snape?

mom4 said:
Okay, okay... I read the book!

*******SPOILERS!!!*******

I was VERY disappointed in Snape. I had this whole theory that he was actually in love with Harry's mother, and that was why he decided to work against the Death Eaters, because V killed her. They said at one point that she didn't have to die; I thought V would have left her alive as a reward to Snape for the information about Harry. Dumbledore did say that the only thing that could save someone from power like V's was love, so I thought Snape's love for Lily would release him. It would have been such a sweet, sad love story. :sigh:

My husband still thinks that Snape will somehow turn out to be good, that the thing with Dumbledore was planned between them. But, how would they explain the hatred in Snape's face as he looked at Dumbledore at the end? And at Harry when he turned on him as he was fleeing Hogwarts? Also, why didn't he do better by Harry during the occlumency lessons? The final nail in Snape's coffin is what Fuzzy said about JKR wanting to continue the series... Snape could go on to be the bad guy. Did he know anything about Horcruxes?

Now, here's something I can't remember, and I wonder if anyone else can... In one of the earlier books, there was a character who said he was so much like the Dark Lord bc he also had killed his father. Who was that character? Anyone know? Was it Snape?

ok, got your pm. i hadn't been back to this thread since i figured it had 'died'.

as far as your questions, i don't have much of an answer to, because i have pretty much the same ones. Snape must have known about the horcruxes because Regulus did. Snape is an accomplished occlumens and legilimens, so how can we know whether or not he is telling the truth to Narcissa and Bellatrix? Is he skilled enough to fool even Voldemort?

In one of the earlier books, there was a character who said he was so much like the Dark Lord bc he also had killed his father. Who was that character? Anyone know? Was it Snape?

this one, i am not sure on, as i don't remember reading or hearing (i have the books on CD) anything about this, but it may be a detail that i might have overlooked or dismissed. i am currently listening to the CDs all over again, and i can scan the books to see if i can find anything for you. There are even theories out there that Snape is related to the Dark Wizard Grindelwald, that Dumbledore defeated in 1945.

i was disappointed in Snape too. I had hoped he was just disgruntled because he had a miserable childhood, and he was not very popular in school, and that Harry was so much like his father, it was like reliving the days he most likely wants to forget. I never thought he would turn on Dumbledore. So many people are saying that Dumbledore planned his death, but i never thought Snape would throw away all he had worked for, as far as being a respected (sort of) teacher. The one part of the septology that made me think Snape was probably an ok guy under all that was the part where he protected the kids from Lupin when he transformed. He seemed sincerely concerned for their safety, though he acts like he would prefer them all dead.

Snape was my first guess as to who the prince was, but i thought "Prince" he was going to be related to British or foreign royalty somehow, and had been hidden from muggle public because of his 'abnormality' (wizard).

It is also suspected that the locket that was supposed to be one of the horcruxes and was destroyed by Regulus, is actually the one that in book# 5, Harry and the Weasleys found at 12 Grimmauld place, and could not open. I'll have to go through the book again to find out what he did with it-i think he threw it out, but i am not 100% certain. one of those details again...

Forum List

Back