Luis Gutierrez - Worst Congressman in Congress a TRAITOR to this Country

Yes but how many Puerto Ricans really want an independent country? I don't see any demonstrations on the street of San Juan or Puerto Rican terrorist groups attacking the US to make a statement, I have met many Puerto Ricans as well and they like being part of the US because they can come and go without a green card, becoming independent would take that away and they would basically become Mexico on an island.
There are three major political parties in Puerto Rico. One that resembles the GOP, one like the Democrats and then there's the Indepententistas. They never poll greater than 20%.

But I disagree that Puerto Rico would turn into a shithole as you say.

Then your clueless, because the island nations have such a great history of thriving! LOL, Haita was the 2nd country, slightly after America, to receive its independence and regardless of the rhetoric that America had the infrastructure to succeed, SO DID HAITA!!! Yet 200+ years later they are still the armpit of the Western Hemisphere, slightly above Communist Venezuela.

Puerto Rico has the best of both worlds. Support (both militarily and economically) and oversite from America, in which all her citizens are American citizens, access to medicare and social security, while still remaining a quasi-independent country.

In fact the Republican (ironically called the New Progressive Party) controls all levels of the Puerto Rican Government at the moment with commanding leads. They caucus with the Republicans.
Political party strength in Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The New Progressive Party pushes for statehood.
New Progressive Party of Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Recently its the Democrats that want Puerto Rico to become a state, but the Republicans don't want it. Although the current government with a super majortiy in the House and Senate caucuses with the Republicans, Puerto Rico would rank as a low per capitia income state. A good chunk of Puerto Ricans would immediately be eligible for food stamps and welfare! The fear is Puerto Rico's robust and industrialized economy (yes they have risen to 15% unemployment, but at $17K average income they are by far one of the most successful countries in Latin America) and very stable country, would slip into a nanny state with the Democrats pushing more and more entitlements to keep the people dependent on the government (which the Puerta Rican people are far from being, primary reason they vote in Republicans to all levels of their government) and hence get them voting for Big Gov Democrats! Democrats believe they would then get an automatic 2 new senators, 6 new house members and 1 new state governor!

All very good points, I don't see how Puerto Rico can blossom on its own, its not like their sitting on top of huge oil deposits like Kuwait. Puerto Ricans would be coming over on rafts like the Cubans and Haitians if they were given independence. The only thing I disagree about in your post is I think Venezuela is better than Haiti, at least I would rather live in Venezuela than Haiti anyways.

There are just as many jerks, punks and gettin' over types everywhere too.

If the Puerto Rican people want independence, let them have it. Who are you? George III?

LOL, I spend very little of my day thinking about Puerto Rico. However, do a quick google search of Puerto Rico! See the elected is government is the New Progressive Party who resembles the Republican party and they caucus with the Republicans. They have the Governor, US House Rep and Super-Majority in the PR House and Senate. A main platform for them is Statehood.

Then google who is pushing for and who is preventing PR statehood. The Democrats are pushing for it and the Republicans are preventing.

Puerto Rican have previously voted against independence and against statehood. I prefer status quo, since Puerto Rico unlike the the vast majority of Latin American Countries has a pretty decent per capitia family income of $17K, 20% of their economy comes from industry, US manufacturing invest a lot in PR since it's a commonwealth and very stable country. The current PR government is very business friendly, industry has thrived there. The Democrats would screw them up. Puerto Rico is well headed to great things!

They never poll greater than 20%.
Are you being serious or thinking that people won't do their homework. The New Progressive Party is the party that resembles the Republicans! They control the Governorship and US Non-Voting House Rep member. They also have a SUPER-MAJORITY in both the PR House and Senate!!!

A little better than 20% no?

http://24ahead.com/luis-gutierrez-i-have-only-one-loyalty-and-thats-immigrant-c
I have only one loyalty, and that's to the immigrant community.

What he means is the Latino Community! What happens when a White person says they are only only loyal to the WHITE COMMUNITY? Do they get elected to Congress? Do they get support? Do they can favorable liberal press?

Call a spade a spade!

Hmmm....he didn't say Latino community. Only those who see Latinos as immigrants would make this leap.

And what would be so terrible about Puerto Rican independence? Other than a cruise stop, have you ever been to Puerto Rico? I lived there for 18 months. I got to know plenty of Puerto Ricans. You know what I found out? I found out that people are people everywhere. I met the same type of honest, hard working, family-oriented people there as I did in Dayton, Tennessee, or Dayton, Ohio for that matter.

If the Puerto Rican people want independence, let them have it. Who are you? George III?

Yes but how many Puerto Ricans really want an independent country? I don't see any demonstrations on the street of San Juan or Puerto Rican terrorist groups attacking the US to make a statement, I have met many Puerto Ricans as well and they like being part of the US because they can come and go without a green card, becoming independent would take that away and they would basically become Mexico on an island.
Why do Puerto Ricans want to stay US citizens?

Simple.

They pay ZERO federal income tax.

Yet American taxpayers fork over almost 20 billion in aid to their country each year.

Approximately 60% are on welfare and food stamps.

25% unemployment is the norm.

Most PR's who live on the island hate America.

Watch a PR parade in any American city.

No American flags; just PR flags. :evil:

Ignorance is bliss huh Sunni

How about some facts:
GDP and Rating by World Bank:
Puerto Rico Economy
Gross National Income (GNI per capita) (formerly GNP per capita): $53.4 billion; per capita: $13,675.1 (2006)
Puerto Rico is classified as a high income country, high income countries are defined by the World Bank as countries with a Gross National Income (GNI) per capita of $11,116 or more.

GDP per capita: purchasing power parity - $17,100 (2009 est.) Puerto Rican workers are covered by the U.S. Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) are subject only to the Federal minimum wage ($5.15) and all applicable regulations. Workers not covered by the FLSA will be subject to a minimum wage that is at least 70 percent of the Federal minimum wage or the applicable mandatory decree rate, whichever is higher. Labor costs are below the mainland average, but are higher than in other areas of the Caribbean Basin.

Unemployment as of 2005, yes pre-global meltdown was relatively low. High for American standards, low for the rest of the world standard!
Unemployment Rate: 11.8% (2005)

Average Hourly Pay - The fact we are talking about it being above the US minimum wage is AMAZING! See average Income per family (I was shocked)!
Average Hourly Wage: $8.08/hour, well below the U.S. average

Household income and expenditure:
Average family size: 3.6
Income per family: U.S. $27,017

Sources of income: wages and salaries 56.3%, transfers 29.5%, self-employment 6.4%, rent 5.2%, other 2.6%; expenditure (1995): food and beverages 20.4%, transportation 13.6%, health care 13.4%, housing and energy 12.2%, household furnishings 12.0%, recreation 8.9%.

Labor Force:
Labor Force: 1.479 million (2007)
By occupation: agriculture: 2.1%, industry: 19%, services: 79% (2005)

. Organized Labor:
115,000 members in 4 unions; the largest is the General Confederation of Puerto Rican Workers with 35,000 members (1983).

Budget:
revenues: $6.7 billion
expenditures: $9.6 billion, including capital expenditures of $NA (FY99/00)
Exports: $59,218 billion (2006)

PR's Exports:
Export Commodities: chemicals, electronics, apparel, canned tuna, rum, beverage concentrates, medical equipment

GDP - composition by sector (the fact that they are so strong in the manufacturing sector refute everything you say):
manufacturing 40.4%
finance, insurance and real estate 16.6%
trade 12.7%
services 10%
goverment 10.2%
transportation and other public utilities 6.7%
construction and mining 2.3%
agriculture 0.5%

Puerto Rican Economy in General
Puerto Rico has one of the most dynamic economies in the Caribbean region. Plantation sugar production dominated Puerto Rico's economy until the 1940s. Industry has surpassed agriculture as the primary sector of economic activity and income. Encouraged by duty free access to the U.S. and by tax incentives, U.S. firms have invested heavily in Puerto Rico since the 1950s (U.S. minimum wage laws apply). As a result, Puerto Rico's export and import has prospered, nearly doubled between fiscal years 1987 and 1997.

Recently the economy has suffered budget cuts from U.S. The Puerto Rican economy has depended heavily on the tax incentives given to U.S. mainland companies and on federal transfers. In 1993, President Clinton aimed to cut the Section 936 tax exemption for U.S. companies and introduced legislation to Congress to replace it with a more modest tax credit linked to wages paid by those companies in Puerto Rico rather than to profits. It is estimated that 100,000 Puerto Ricans were employed by companies operating under Section 936 (of which 23,000 are in pharmaceuticals) and another 200,000 are indirectly employed. In President Clinton's 1998 budget submission to Congress, proposed that existing Section 30A of the tax code be made permanent to provide an estimated U.S. $417mn a year in tax incentives to compensate for the phasing out of Section 936. Section 30A allows companies to claim 60% of wages and capital investment as allowances against tax. New firms may opt to incorporate themselves in Puerto Rico as "controlled foreign corporations" and receive the tax benefits provided by Section 901 of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code. Puerto Rico's government aims to make up

There are three major political parties in Puerto Rico. One that resembles the GOP, one like the Democrats and then there's the Indepententistas. They never poll greater than 20%.

But I disagree that Puerto Rico would turn into a shithole as you say.

Then your clueless, because the island nations have such a great history of thriving! LOL, Haita was the 2nd country, slightly after America, to receive its independence and regardless of the rhetoric that America had the infrastructure to succeed, SO DID HAITA!!! Yet 200+ years later they are still the armpit of the Western Hemisphere, slightly above Communist Venezuela.

Puerto Rico has the best of both worlds. Support (both militarily and economically) and oversite from America, in which all her citizens are American citizens, access to medicare and social security, while still remaining a quasi-independent country.

In fact the Republican (ironically called the New Progressive Party) controls all levels of the Puerto Rican Government at the moment with commanding leads. They caucus with the Republicans.

Recently its the Democrats that want Puerto Rico to become a state, but the Republicans don't want it. Although the current government with a super majortiy in the House and Senate caucuses with the Republicans, Puerto Rico would rank as a low per capitia income state. A good chunk of Puerto Ricans would immediately be eligible for food stamps and welfare! The fear is Puerto Rico's robust and industrialized economy (yes they have risen to 15% unemployment, but at $17K average income they are by far one of the most successful countries in Latin America) and very stable country, would slip into a nanny state with the Democrats pushing more and more entitlements to keep the people dependent on the government (which the Puerta Rican people are far from being, primary reason they vote in Republicans to all levels of their government) and hence get them voting for Big Gov Democrats! Democrats believe they would then get an automatic 2 new senators, 6 new house members and 1 new state governor!

All very good points, I don't see how Puerto Rico can blossom on its own, its not like their sitting on top of huge oil deposits like Kuwait. Puerto Ricans would be coming over on rafts like the Cubans and Haitians if they were given independence. The only thing I disagree about in your post is I think Venezuela is better than Haiti, at least I would rather live in Venezuela than Haiti anyways.

Of course Venezuela is better than Haiti, but only a small step above. If Venezuela didn't have oil they would be the Somolia!

Of course Venezuela is better than Haiti, but only a small step above. If Venezuela didn't have oil they would be the Somolia!

I wish Venezuela didn't have oil, their "President" is an asshole and their arm in arm with the Iranians, the Iranian military is already there.

http://24ahead.com/luis-gutierrez-i-have-only-one-loyalty-and-thats-immigrant-c
I have only one loyalty, and that's to the immigrant community.

What he means is the Latino Community! What happens when a White person says they are only only loyal to the WHITE COMMUNITY? Do they get elected to Congress? Do they get support? Do they can favorable liberal press?

Call a spade a spade!

Hmmm....he didn't say Latino community. Only those who see Latinos as immigrants would make this leap.

NO, rather I have heard him speak. I have seen his actions and when he says immigrant community he doesn't even mean immigrant, he represents the illegal immigrants. And if you do some research and not try to cherry pick, then you would see his bias is strongly for the Latino Community interests!

And what would be so terrible about Puerto Rican independence? Other than a cruise stop, have you ever been to Puerto Rico? I lived there for 18 months. I got to know plenty of Puerto Ricans. You know what I found out? I found out that people are people everywhere. I met the same type of honest, hard working, family-oriented people there as I did in Dayton, Tennessee, or Dayton, Ohio for that matter.

Simple.

Yet American taxpayers fork over almost 20 billion in aid to their country each year.

Hey stupid.........a person generally doesn't go and enlist in the military of a country they hate.

PR has a base, as well as a recruiting station, and we end up getting quite a few Puerto Rican people enlisting in the Navy every year, as well as all the other armed forces.

Fail.

They want to spend 20 years in the military and then live of the taxpayer for the rest of their life.

Surely ABS you can relate to this. :doubt:

Actually if you want to know the truth, I prefer Puerto Rico with it's current form of government over a bunch of current US states, such as but not limited to, MA!!!

They want to spend 20 years in the military and then live of the taxpayer for the rest of their life.

Actually, I can. I gave up 20 years of my life in service to this country. They offered the pension if I was able to survive it, as well as follow all the rules.

Kinda nice that I was able to retire at 38, and haven't had to get a job for the past 7 years!

Jealous?

Actually, I can. I gave up 20 years of my life in service to this country. They offered the pension if I was able to survive it, as well as follow all the rules.

Kinda nice that I was able to retire at 38, and haven't had to get a job for the past 7 years!

Jealous?
Nope.

Cause I see guys like you standing at intersections all of the time.

Holding a cardboard sign that says "Veteran" and holding a tin cup.

Just too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter for me.

But hey, I'll drop my spare change in your can the next time I see you and there is a red light. :eusa_angel:

Jealous?
Nope.

Cause I see guys like you standing at intersections all of the time.

Holding a cardboard sign that says "Veteran" and holding a tin cup.

Just too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter for me.

But hey, I'll drop my spare change in your can the next time I see you and there is a red light. :eusa_angel:

Those guys more than likely are not retired, just disabled veterans with alot of problems, not nice to make fun of them.:(

Simple.

Hey stupid.........a person generally doesn't go and enlist in the military of a country they hate.

PR has a base, as well as a recruiting station, and we end up getting quite a few Puerto Rican people enlisting in the Navy every year, as well as all the other armed forces.

Fail.

That's because the bar is set low for the Navy. You really can't fuck things up on a ship unless you're Curly of the Three Stooges and you're using a drill as a "water letter outer".

Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!

Those guys more than likely are not retired, just disabled veterans with alot of problems, not nice to make fun of them.:(
Yea, I know.

And many times I put a couple of bucks into their can.

But messing with that squid ABS is just too much fun.. :eusa_angel:

Be careful though alot of homeless men claim to be veterans because they know their more inclined to get money from people, I met a guy one time who sent he fought in Vietnam and he was only 30.:doubt:

Forum List

Back