Looking Forward To The Day I Can Get A Greenhouse

DSC_5527.JPG

DSC_6483pse.JPG

DSC_5536.jpg

DSC_5534.JPG

It seems a bit out of reach under the current economic circumstances but I hope to get a cabin in the wilderness some day soon and build my own greenhouse. I like the idea of growing my own veggies using natural, heirloom seeds. I never know if the veggies I buy in grocery stores are GMO or not. Many will say they're "non-GMO" but can I trust anything on today's food labels? Not sure.

In the meantime, I have seen some interesting ways of growing vegetable in a small, cramped space:

iu
Get a replacement cover off Amazon like this...

Strong Camel Greenhouse Replacement Covering for Outdoor Larger Hot Garden House , Support Arch Frame Climbing Plants/Flowers/Vegetables (20' X 10' X 7', Cover) Amazon.com

It's $107 free shipping.

Then build the frame to fit it. Look at the picture of the frame in the link above.

You can use pvc with Ts and elbows for the frame that sits on the ground and the bows...then ziptie your longitudinal crossbars with uv resistant ties in an X shape.

Pretty simple and affordable construct. A great starting point.

Depends on where you live I suppose. Those would be a good way to cook your veg where I live because odds are you are not going to be available to open or close the thing throughout the day depending on the temps. I would suggest you build cold frames instead or go with something much smaller. You can sometimes buy yourself a little extra time with smaller outdoor things by placing jugs of water out to soak up heat in the sun and then putting them in as "heaters" at night but the smaller the space, the more bang you will get.

It seems a bit out of reach under the current economic circumstances but I hope to get a cabin in the wilderness some day soon and build my own greenhouse. I like the idea of growing my own veggies using natural, heirloom seeds. I never know if the veggies I buy in grocery stores are GMO or not. Many will say they're "non-GMO" but can I trust anything on today's food labels? Not sure.

In the meantime, I have seen some interesting ways of growing vegetable in a small, cramped space:

iu
a full green house would be nice. i use a cold frame to get an early start. Styrofoam cooler with a pane of glass or acrylic can jump the tomato season by weeks. (on very cold nights a 60w incandescent bulb is enough heat.

Forum List

Back