Lawn mowing nightmare......

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Over the past few weeks the weather has been anything but normal for late July August.
Usually it is hot with little rain.
It has been the opposite. It has rained, if only a small shower, about 10 or 12 times in the past three weeks.
Followed by cloudy/overcast, lower temps with high humidity.
And that means grass is growing like mad. BUT it is NOT drying. It is staying wet. Even 3-4pm it looks like it rained 5 minutes ago.
Yesterday, it was FINALLY mostly sunny and 87 degrees. So I just went and despite it looking wet, tried to mow a few steps. The grass is still sopping wet. And today it is going to be overcast with rain tomorrow.
FFS!!! Everyone's yard around here looks like a shag rug.

More and more people are having yards with less grass and more rocks. It would make your problem slightly less of a headache.
Dry-River-Bed-Landscape-Plants.jpg

Over the past few weeks the weather has been anything but normal for late July August.
It has been the opposite. It has rained, if only a small shower, about 10 or 12 times in the past three weeks.
And that means grass is growing like mad. BUT it is NOT drying. It is staying wet. Even 3-4pm it looks like it rained 5 minutes ago.
Yesterday, it was FINALLY mostly sunny and 87 degrees. So I just went and despite it looking wet, tried to mow a few steps. The grass is still sopping wet. And today it is going to be overcast with rain tomorrow.
did you set your mower on the highest setting to start.....do you have a mulcher with a 7hp motor

wait until you have to use an electric mower...chuckle

My lawn has been mostly stagnant and I only have to cut every two weeks or so

did you set your mower on the highest setting to start.....do you have a mulcher with a 7hp motor

wait until you have to use an electric mower...chuckle
My mower is mulching or I can put the ejector in it,
It is not a problem for the mower to cut it, it cut it fine... but it clogs up in 10 feet.

My lawn has been mostly stagnant and I only have to cut every two weeks or so
That is usually what happens here over the summer.
May and June you have to mow it every 5-7 days or you have a forest on your hands.
But by mid July summers here become mostly dry, humid, but no rain. So in the month of August, it wouldn't be unusual to only have to mow once or twice the whole month.
The avg. July rainfall here is between .06" - 2.9". (depending on norther or southern part of the state, I am southern so it is drier.)
This year?? - Try 6.09!!

I dream of replacing lawn with gravel on my whole property.

Something like that was unheard of 30 years ago, but in areas that get little rain...

---Las Vegas declares turf war on lawns as drought worsens---

We mow in the rain here in Western Oregon ... safety tip ... stop the engine before you dig out the wads of grass ... even if you're using a stick ... and cut narrower slices ...

We mow in the rain here in Western Oregon ... safety tip ... stop the engine before you dig out the wads of grass ... even if you're using a stick ... and cut narrower slices ...
Rocks can be useful in climates like yours to control water flow.
bf214b1ff59a39284c3280f4b5ff168f.jpg

Rocks can be useful in climates like yours to control water flow.
bf214b1ff59a39284c3280f4b5ff168f.jpg
Rocks look great when you first put them in

Then they become covered in leaves, twigs, dirt and weeds start to grow between the rocks.

They are not no maintenance

Rocks look great when you first put them in
Then they become covered in leaves, twigs, dirt and weeds start to grow between the rocks.
They are not no maintenance
If you want "no maintenance" put in astroturf. Be forewarned, your neighbors will make jokes about you.

More and more people are having yards with less grass and more rocks. It would make your problem slightly less of a headache.
Dry-River-Bed-Landscape-Plants.jpg

My mower is mulching or I can put the ejector in it,
It is not a problem for the mower to cut it, it cut it fine... but it clogs up in 10 feet.
Pic of mower? You probably got the "clog 'em" deck which is to be avoided at all costs.

It looks like this:

d0bef900-42e2-4864-913c-3a04ea98c994.404350b82c1f71a7fc16c4348485d7fd.jpeg

or this:

193028008636.jpg

Anything with that high and right chute design is going to clog after only a few feet of mowing.

Side discharge is the way to go, or any deck that doesn't look like the above 2.

I learned this several years back.

This is OK:

d5ee2ba2-709a-4774-929a-e43f6d4bb415_1.57afa6f81c2a8a89f4ce7e0bf29419bd.jpeg

If you've ever been to the Philippines....this is what the weather is like.

If you live in a wet climate you can keep your grass shorter. It collects less dew and dries out faster. I mow in the evening when the grass is dry and the weather is cool.

Some mowers have a mulching or side discharge feature. I have one, works great.

Before getting rid of your lawn in favor of rocks and gravel check your local 'green space' ordinances.

Forum List

Back