Looking Forward To The Day I Can Get A Greenhouse

There's nothing wrong with GMO seeds. In many cases they are far superior to the original plant.
Gotta disagree with you on that one. Most GMO seeds harvested from the first crop won't re-grow. There's a reason for that. They aren't meant to. God knew what He was doing when He created his edible plants.

You can build one with PVC and Visqueen.
PVC can't take the seasonal temperature fluctuations or the UV rays. It will crack and splinter.
What you want (if looking for something similar) is Electrical metal tubing AKA "EMT". It's lightweight and because of the zinc coating can generally withstand some moisture. (Painting helps more)

It might dent or bend but won't shatter if hit by a rock or tree branch. ½" ¾" and 1" sizes should be capable of doing all you will need to do with sufficient sturdiness to survive more than one season. The Visqueen is good....but I recommend getting non-UV blocking polycarbonate and/plexiglass. And be prepared to block some of the sun at times. (It can get too hot otherwise)

And don't forget that you will need fans for stalk strength. So power of some kind....windmill, waterwheel, or electricity.

It seems a bit out of reach under the current economic circumstances but I hope to get a cabin in the wilderness some day soon and build my own greenhouse. I like the idea of growing my own veggies using natural, heirloom seeds. I never know if the veggies I buy in grocery stores are GMO or not. Many will say they're "non-GMO" but can I trust anything on today's food labels? Not sure.

In the meantime, I have seen some interesting ways of growing vegetable in a small, cramped space:

iu
Lol, some bad news for ya seeds from gmo spread through the wind. Even if you use heirloom seeds you will not be able to prevent the spreading of those genetic to your crop. Good luck on building a green house some day. There is something deeply satisfying about growing and consuming your own crop.

you will not be able to prevent the spreading of those genetic to your crop.

If you are strategically located you can.

I'm in the first ring burbs...1 mile (as the crow files) from Minneapolis. Ain't no corn fields anywhere near me.

PVC can't take the seasonal temperature fluctuations or the UV rays. It will crack and splinter.
What you want (if looking for something similar) is Electrical metal tubing AKA "EMT". It's lightweight and because of the zinc coating can generally withstand some moisture. (Painting helps more)

It might dent or bend but won't shatter if hit by a rock or tree branch. ½" ¾" and 1" sizes should be capable of doing all you will need to do with sufficient sturdiness to survive more than one season. The Visqueen is good....but I recommend getting non-UV blocking polycarbonate and/plexiglass. And be prepared to block some of the sun at times. (It can get too hot otherwise)

And don't forget that you will need fans for stalk strength. So power of some kind....windmill, waterwheel, or electricity.
The PVC one is quick and cheap while he works on a grand one.

That's partially why I like the idea of a greenhouse. Temps, light, and humidity can be controlled to place the plants in optimum growing conditions. But I would buy my seeds from a reputable, anti-GMO grower who would sell guaranteed heirloom seeds.

Depending on what you want to grow, you can try growing some things indoors where you are now. The marijuana biz has made grow lights cheaper than ever. Just buy some grow LED bulbs and the clamp mounting shop lights and have at it. For 15 bucks you can cover a decent size area for veg. I suggest you do it low to the floor though as you don't want those full spectrum LED's at eye level as the red light elements are harsh as hell on your vision when you look direct at them.

It seems a bit out of reach under the current economic circumstances but I hope to get a cabin in the wilderness some day soon and build my own greenhouse. I like the idea of growing my own veggies using natural, heirloom seeds. I never know if the veggies I buy in grocery stores are GMO or not. Many will say they're "non-GMO" but can I trust anything on today's food labels? Not sure.

In the meantime, I have seen some interesting ways of growing vegetable in a small, cramped space:

iu
I built one once.

4071.JPG

DSC_2191.jpg

DSC_4092.JPG

DSC_4438 (2).JPG

DSC_4457.JPG

Forum List

Back