Looking for Opinions on Bathroom Backsplash

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
We are remodeling one of the bathrooms in our house. I am going to replace the sink and fixtures with these:

And instead of using the quartz backsplash that comes with the sink, we are going to order Spanish tiles as a backsplash:

The tiles are 4.25" tall, so we are going to do an 8 1/2" backsplash (twice the height of the current white backsplash)

The question is would you do just the sink area or would you take the strip all the way down to the shower almost like you would with chair molding?

Sink.jpg

Bathroom.jpg

We are remodeling one of the bathrooms in our house. I am going to replace the sink and fixtures with these:

And instead of using the quartz backsplash that comes with the sink, we are going to order Spanish tiles as a backsplash:

The tiles are 4.25" tall, so we are going to do an 8 1/2" backsplash (twice the height of the current white backsplash)

The question is would you do just the sink area or would you take the strip all the way down to the shower almost like you would with chair molding?

View attachment 874058

View attachment 874059
Most buyers would consider that a dated "Mexican-ish" look, imo.

IMO? It is really hard to ask for opinions on something like this, b/c everyone has their own taste.

Remolding Madiac is probably the best one to ask, as he has the most experience as to what is most economical, stays in style the longest, and gives the best results.

I myself, like something that has a timeless appeal, which doesn't attempt to do anything too weird that will look dated, but we all have our own thing. That tile. . . wow? But then, if you don't mind doing the bathroom again in five, six years if you tire of it?

Like, this design/lifestyle mag., featuring this one? Again, I think, it's a bit busy, but. . . w/e. . . Something like that? Might actually work for you. . .
1702758542846.png

1702758697091.png

No double sink? no counter? No sense worrying about a studio looking bathroom like that. Put up basic cheap stuff. The house is not worthy of Spanish marble or whatever?

View attachment 874058

View attachment 874059
Copy how it is now. A tall backsplash may look too busy, IMO.

Take it all the way to the shower or whatever to integrate it into the flow of the room to compliment the lines of the room and other decor so that it blends in otherwise, it'll just stick out incongruously like a sore thumb looking out of place.

I'd also change the color of the walls.

View attachment 874058

View attachment 874059
Good lord! We have the same exact same bathroom, save wall color. I favor the dark top and matching backsplash or if tile, as less active selection.

Take it all the way to the shower or whatever to integrate it into the flow of the room to compliment the lines of the room and other decor so that it blends in otherwise, it'll just stick out incongruously like a sore thumb looking out of place.

I...agree with Toobfreak

Quartz is a good idea for the sink as it's low maintenance compared to granite,
and comes in all types of colors. I used travertine as the backsplash
to the quartz sink. Haven't regretted that move.
Indeed, a tile backsplash behind a sink is a bad idea due to the constant cleaning requitements and grout deterioration if not installed and sealed right.
I personally despise tiled bathrooms because of this... it looks amazing for about 3-4 years, then looks tired and old in no time if not professionally installed and sealed.

That’s how I was viewing it too, however I like the yellow walls. It goes with the southwest style. This is southern Nevada after all.

That’s how I was viewing it too, however I like the yellow walls. It goes with the southwest style. This is southern Nevada after all.

Well, you have the actual room to look at, I only have pictures. And of course, you know better what fits best in with the rest of the house theme and region. I'm just more of a blue guy and I live in a colder region. But the tiles look nice.

All I can tell you is that by the color of those walls, if it was piss you would be seriously dehydrated and need to up your fluid intake.

Remolding Madiac is probably the best one to ask, as he has the most experience as to what is most economical, stays in style the longest, and gives the best results.

Well that would certainly be an awkward encounter. lolol.

xirbx1rd1p171.png

Last edited:
Tangent: One good thing about the Pandemic was the shortage of toilet paper. I had long been a fan of Charmin - Extra Strong. But in an emergency, I bought Cottonelle, because that's all they had at Sam's Club.

Cottonelle is fucking fantastic. The Pandemic was worth it.

Forum List

Back