Little Crappy Ship

What is the modern definition of a "combat ship"? Are all the fat asses in the Pentagon still under the delusion of an ocean going war in the age of drones? The last time I saw U.S. Navy sailors in combat they were crying as they were kidnapped by terrorists from a freaking country that doesn't even have a navy.

I think you greatly demean the contributions of the Navy in the Middle East.

Naval ships serve as a mobile launching pad for air and missile weapons. As long as they can do that, they will continue to be a threat, and continue to be threatened.
What are the "contributions of the Navy in the Middle East"? Bill Clinton threw a couple of million dollar missiles at old training sites but Barry Hussein decided that the Navy was not capable of rescuing the defenders of the Benghazi Alamo. What is the U.S. Navy mission these days?

You can start here:

Middle East | Naval Today

or here:

Middle East mission develops sailor's skills

If you still have questions, i'll be happy to give you other references.

The U. S. Navy mission used to be to furnish big pensions to fat assed Pentagon Admirals and Generals and to get democrats elected. Apparently the mission has changed and let's see what happens next year.

Dang!!!

NOW I know what dumbassery really is.

What is the modern definition of a "combat ship"? Are all the fat asses in the Pentagon still under the delusion of an ocean going war in the age of drones? The last time I saw U.S. Navy sailors in combat they were crying as they were kidnapped by terrorists from a freaking country that doesn't even have a navy.

Naval ships serve as a mobile launching pad for air and missile weapons. As long as they can do that, they will continue to be a threat, and continue to be threatened.
What are the "contributions of the Navy in the Middle East"? Bill Clinton threw a couple of million dollar missiles at old training sites but Barry Hussein decided that the Navy was not capable of rescuing the defenders of the Benghazi Alamo. What is the U.S. Navy mission these days?

You can start here:

or here:

Why don't you wade through U.S. Navy propaganda since you authored the original post and give us an synopsis of the Navy's future in the 21st century.

You can start here:

or here:

Why don't you wade through U.S. Navy propaganda since you authored the original post and give us an synopsis of the Navy's future in the 21st century.

Actually, it's pretty simple ... but I'm not sure you can keep up. I don't need to "wade thru US Navy propaganda" -- that which is logical really is simple ---- but I'm not sure you can keep up.

Two thirds of the Earth is water. In order to secure a nation, you must secure it. You must keep it safe from attack - no matter the source of the attack. Airplanes fly to protect against airborne threats, ships sail to protect against waterborne threats.

I'm not sure you realize just exactly how big the earth is. Projection of power thru the air - and across oceans - is not practical. Pre-deployment of military assets, in order to be able to respond in a timely manner, is a necessity. Naval pre-positioning enables us to project air, space, and ground assets quickly and effectively. Ship positioning provides an overlay of security in a much greater area of coverage than manpower.

Naval assets are required to protect our security interests, and the security of our commercial transportation. From carrier-launched fighters, to launching cruise missiles, they project the military might of the US, as well as provide security for shipping lanes and private ships.

The largest aircraft can move approximately 120 tons of materiel. The largest ship moves about 9,000 tons. The current estimate is that, during the run-up to Desert Storm, the Navy moved 4.79 million tons of materiel. How many aircraft - with an average flying time of 19 hours from St. Louis to Kuwait - be required to move that much materiel that far?

In short, the Navy is a valued member of the Armed Forces, and provides a unique, and necessary, contribution to the military effort.

As we move forward, the Naval aviation arm will be enhanced and provide close-in air capability, thus allowing us to withdraw in-theater air assets. In addition, movement of arms and personnel will be expanded, as well as the capability of its ship to project military force from a safe and stable platform.

So, next time before you start babbling about something you know nothing about --- maybe you should do some research.

lives up to its name.....,,.....all it does is break.
LCS Coronado suffers engineering problem on first deploym | NavyTimes
The littoral combat ship Coronado suffered an engineering breakdown on Monday, two months into its maiden deployment and is returning to port under its own power to get repaired. It is the fourth high-profile engineering calamity in a year to strike the beleaguered ship class, which has been dogged by combat survivability concerns amid all the engineering problems. The events have prompted the Navy's top officer to fast-track changes to the program currently being briefed to leadership.

I have to say the whole idea of a LCS seems pretty stupid to me. It has no armor to speak of, has all of this stealth tech but is pretty easy to see with the old Mk I eyeball, has limited close in weapons capability and for a ship that is supposed to be operating close to shore those all seem to be some pretty major weaknesses.

C'mon, folks ... use your head.

The Coronado is a test bed .... that means, it is constructed for specific tests. The rest is just jury rigged to support the subsystems under test. It is NOT a full-up LCS model. I guarantee --- and I've never been on it --- you could find cardboard sheets marked with words like "... radar display ..." or plywood boards marked " .... PRC-47 radio ... " The ship is not intended to be battle-worthy.

The key words "... non-hardened equipment .... ".

Frankly, you're barking up the wrong tree ... you're trying to find ways to make it look like the program is failing, but, it's simply not true. The systems being tested have performed well. Give it a chance to mature into a real ship before you start whining.
Everyone of them has broken down......have zero offensive punch...yrs behind.....zero range......and overbudget...........funny how you puked out the establisment excuse....give it time.......

Believe as you wish .... the truth will set you free of your prejudices and clearly jaundiced view.

The only prejudice is being demonstrated by you dude. The ships are a catastrophic failure. They are supposed to operate close to shore and a Somali pirate with an RPG-7 can knock the thing out. You think that is good? Get real...

The Coronado is a test bed .... that means, it is constructed for specific tests. The rest is just jury rigged to support the subsystems under test. It is NOT a full-up LCS model. I guarantee --- and I've never been on it --- you could find cardboard sheets marked with words like "... radar display ..." or plywood boards marked " .... PRC-47 radio ... " The ship is not intended to be battle-worthy.

Frankly, you're barking up the wrong tree ... you're trying to find ways to make it look like the program is failing, but, it's simply not true. The systems being tested have performed well. Give it a chance to mature into a real ship before you start whining.
Everyone of them has broken down......have zero offensive punch...yrs behind.....zero range......and overbudget...........funny how you puked out the establisment excuse....give it time.......

Believe as you wish .... the truth will set you free of your prejudices and clearly jaundiced view.

The only prejudice is being demonstrated by you dude. The ships are a catastrophic failure. They are supposed to operate close to shore and a Somali pirate with an RPG-7 can knock the thing out. You think that is good? Get real...

I will repeat one more time ... for the reading comprehension impaired.

That is not the final product undergoing testing. It is a testbed that incorporates SOME of the technology to be used in the final product. It is a mock-up, designed to stress SOME of the new systems. Large portions of the ship are mock-ups, or interim installs that will not be used on the final product.

They will have the capabilities of a small assault transport, including a flight deck and hangar for housing two SH-60 or MH-60 Seahawk helicopters, a stern ramp for operating small boats, and the cargo volume and payload to deliver a small assault force with fighting vehicles to a roll-on/roll-off port facility. Standard armaments include Mk 110 57 mm guns and RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missiles. They are also equipped with autonomous air, surface, and underwater vehicles. Possessing lower air defense and surface warfare capabilities than destroyers, the LCS concept emphasizes speed, flexible mission modules and a shallow draft. They fill the function of a corvette (ship) (I'll let you look that up --- clearly, you need the practice.) They are going to be a very popular ship for the Coast Guard.

Once again, you jump to conclusions based on just a little iota of information, without bothering to actually investigate the situation. See how foolish a few facts make you look?

That is not the final product undergoing testing. It is a testbed that incorporates SOME of the technology to be used in the final product. It is a mock-up, designed to stress SOME of the new systems. Large portions of the ship are mock-ups, or interim installs that will not be used on the final product.

They will have the capabilities of a small assault transport, including a flight deck and hangar for housing two SH-60 or MH-60 Seahawk helicopters, a stern ramp for operating small boats, and the cargo volume and payload to deliver a small assault force with fighting vehicles to a roll-on/roll-off port facility. Standard armaments include Mk 110 57 mm guns and RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missiles. They are also equipped with autonomous air, surface, and underwater vehicles. Possessing lower air defense and surface warfare capabilities than destroyers, the LCS concept emphasizes speed, flexible mission modules and a shallow draft. They fill the function of a corvette (ship) (I'll let you look that up --- clearly, you need the practice.) They are going to be a very popular ship for the Coast Guard.

Once again, you jump to conclusions based on just a little iota of information, without bothering to actually investigate the situation. See how foolish a few facts make you look?

Bullshit. It is a weapons system that was designed by short sighted personnel who had, and have no clue about what the hell they are doing. The entire idea of a LCS is stupid as it has been designed. The Argentine Navy found that out when they sailed their corvette the ARA Guerrico into the anchorage of South Georgia Island. The Royal Marines shot it to pieces with small arms and an 84mm Carl Gustav which knocked out the 100mm main gun, the Exocet launcher, the 40mm cannon, and a whole bunch of electrical cables, all from 550 meters.

The idea that you would place a vessel even remotely close to the shore, and not armor it, nor equip it with a substantial light cannon suite to deal with fast small craft, is simply retarded.

Bullshit. It is a weapons system that was designed by short sighted personnel who had, and have no clue about what the hell they are doing. The entire idea of a LCS is stupid as it has been designed. The Argentine Navy found that out when they sailed their corvette the ARA Guerrico into the anchorage of South Georgia Island. The Royal Marines shot it to pieces with small arms and an 84mm Carl Gustav which knocked out the 100mm main gun, the Exocet launcher, the 40mm cannon, and a whole bunch of electrical cables, all from 550 meters.

The idea that you would place a vessel even remotely close to the shore, and not armor it, nor equip it with a substantial light cannon suite to deal with fast small craft, is simply retarded.
As it is configured it might make a decent coast Guard vessel.....thats about it.....we dont have the resources to be towing these things all over the theater because they keep breaking down..........

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, the boat will be armored, but the methodology is classified?? You think, maybe, just maybe, the testbed doesn't have the classified armoring system installed in order to protect it?

In a totally unrelated matter, take a look at graphene armor. (Gee, I wonder if using a carbon-based armor might help with its stealth function? Maybe I should call the Pentagon, huh?)

But, I must say, I am truly honored to be in conversation with someone who knows so ever much more than my contacts at the Pentagon.

Can I have your autograph?

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, the boat will be armored, but the methodology is classified?? You think, maybe, just maybe, the testbed doesn't have the classified armoring system installed in order to protect it?

In a totally unrelated matter, take a look at graphene armor. (Gee, I wonder if using a carbon-based armor might help with its stealth function? Maybe I should call the Pentagon, huh?)

But, I must say, I am truly honored to be in conversation with someone who knows so ever much more than my contacts at the Pentagon.

Way past testing phase on these ships ....what you see is what you get.....though they are trying to add more weapons.......for antiship and anti air,,,,,,,as they are theyre nothing more than targets.......

Way past testing phase on these ships ....what you see is what you get.....though they are trying to add more weapons.......for antiship and anti air,,,,,,,as they are theyre nothing more than targets.......

LOL .... as you wish.

Did it ever occur to you that the ship was designed by people who were long on theoretics, but real, real short on historical knowledge and real world experience? A testbed is a single vessel. You commission that vessel and then you test the ever loving shit out of it to prove its worth. After you have a year or so of experience with it you then go to the ship builder and read out your punch list of things that need to change.

The Royal Navy is having the same problems with their newest class of warship which apparently was designed by the same silly people as designed the LCS. Proof of Concept
is the term you are seeking and as I said, you build ONE of them.

LOL .... as you wish.
Would simply ask you to read from the beginning.......somewhere in here is a timeline comparison between LCS and the OHP class...from start to actual induction and deployments .....speed of prodcution.......LCS story is nothing but lies...deceit and failure..........I have yet to see an idea to improve them that has any wow factor......they are short-legged with a very short reach weapons wise when you need to be extending them

The Pentagon office responsible for testing new weapons and platforms told the Senate that the ships cannot sustain battle damage that other ships would be expected to recover from, likely necessitating their eventual abandonment in sustained high-intensity combat. It also found widespread reliability problems, (something a string of high-profile engineering failures this year highlighted), construction quality problems, and inability to meet stated combat requirements. The conclusion was that “LCS does not provide a lethal capability in the primary missions it was built for, and given the change in [their operating concept], its design is not survivable in those missions either.” Littoral Combat Ship: The US Navy’s ‘Alleged Warship’

Did it ever occur to you that the ship was designed by people who were long on theoretics, but real, real short on historical knowledge and real world experience? A testbed is a single vessel. You commission that vessel and then you test the ever loving shit out of it to prove its worth. After you have a year or so of experience with it you then go to the ship builder and read out your punch list of things that need to change.

The Royal Navy is having the same problems with their newest class of warship which apparently was designed by the same silly people as designed the LCS. Proof of Concept
is the term you are seeking and as I said, you build ONE of them.

I call them Educated Theorists. :)
Theories that look good on paper, but dont work in the real world.

I have to say the whole idea of a LCS seems pretty stupid to me. It has no armor to speak of, has all of this stealth tech but is pretty easy to see with the old Mk I eyeball, has limited close in weapons capability and for a ship that is supposed to be operating close to shore those all seem to be some pretty major weaknesses.
While I agree LCS is a boondoggle I'm not understanding some of your arguments here.

Ships with LO characteristics aren't trying to hide from eyes, obviously they can be seen within horizon or IR range. Stealth isn't for when these ships are a ten kilometers off the coast, it is for when they are in blue water environments and engagements happen when radars find enemy ships. I'm all for making ships LO, not only does it make them harder to find, it makes them harder to hit with antiship missiles since the majority are active radar for terminal guidance.

There is a reason so many modern warships produced from countries including UK, India, Sweden, Finland, Taiwan, France, China, Noway, etc. have stealth characteristics. They aren't all being silly, they are doing it because every modern navy understands the value of having a ship that is more difficult to detect and track with radar. LCS is multirole, they plan on using it both for whatever green water dealie as well as augmenting the blue water assets in a role akin to a frigate. Being stealthy is good, even if LCS appears to be quite poor on the value for cost equation.

Also close in weapons is actually one of the few strengths of LCS. It has the main bofors 57, two 30mm, SeaRam CIWS, and they are adding Longbow Hellfire and two additional 25mm autocannons. What is lacks, as ManOnTheStreet alluded to, is any long range punch. They are talking about adding an over the horizon antiship missile but who knows where that will go, outside of that it's offensive capabilities are quite limited.

Look at this, why dont we ditch LCS and use the Coast Guard Cutters as their replacement.....check out the specs and cost.....the well deck could be used for unmanned surface or subsurface drones,,,,would need to tack on some more more offensive capability and air defense but so does LCS.........plus it has huge range....seems like no brainer what do ya think?
National Security Cutter - Wikipedia

Combat suite[edit]
Legend-class cutters have increased data link bandwidth.[citation needed]The EADS North America TRS-3D radar system provides three-dimensional air and surface search functions and is used in the LCS program as well as the German Korvette 130 program.[10] The cutters are also equipped with the AN/SLQ-32 Electronic Warfare (EW) system used in the DDG-51.[11] The Legend class is equipped with the same 220 rpm Bofors 57 mm gun as mounted on the USN's Littoral combat ships.[12] The Missile Defense duties are handled by the MK 36 SRBOC decoy systems also used on the FFG-7 and CG-47 programs and theCIWS.[13] The sonar is reported as having mine and underwater swimmer location ability.[6] The cutters have space, weight, and power reserved for additional weapons and systems which includes mine warfare systems.[14]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back