Little Crappy Ship

A main factor driving Crew 204's open-ended deployment is the delay in getting a new crew qualified to replace them after a change in training standards. Qualifying under the new training standards requires some underway time. And to get underway, the crew, which will be Crew 203, needs a ship and for now all the trimaran LCS-2 variant ships are either in overhaul or undergoing repairs. LCS crew marooned in Singapore on an open-ended deployment

I'm not sure why we are building more ships anyway. The military says they don't need them, but the republican congress told them they had to build more ships, tanks, and planes that are not needed.
The Navy needs planes. They're using parts from planes in museums to repair the ones they're still flying. That's too old. I've heard this on a few different news shows. I'm pretty sure it's true.

WASHINGTON: The Navy is seriously considering derivatives of foreign designs and the Coast Guard’s National Security Cutter for its new frigate, after three years pursuing an upgraded version of its current Littoral Combat Ship. The shift has shaken up the industry, panicking some players, while others quietly reposition: Beyond LCS: Navy Looks To Foreign Frigates, National Security Cutter
About time.....I favor the improved Legend Class cutter....would like to see its speed ramped up to be able to fast transit with our carriers when needed.

lives up to its name.....,,.....all it does is break.
LCS Coronado suffers engineering problem on first deploym | NavyTimes
The littoral combat ship Coronado suffered an engineering breakdown on Monday, two months into its maiden deployment and is returning to port under its own power to get repaired. It is the fourth high-profile engineering calamity in a year to strike the beleaguered ship class, which has been dogged by combat survivability concerns amid all the engineering problems. The events have prompted the Navy's top officer to fast-track changes to the program currently being briefed to leadership.

I have to say the whole idea of a LCS seems pretty stupid to me. It has no armor to speak of, has all of this stealth tech but is pretty easy to see with the old Mk I eyeball, has limited close in weapons capability and for a ship that is supposed to be operating close to shore those all seem to be some pretty major weaknesses.

There you go with that Mk I eyeball bullshit! I guess you never served on a ship.

The littoral combat ship Coronado suffered an engineering breakdown on Monday, two months into its maiden deployment and is returning to port under its own power to get repaired. It is the fourth high-profile engineering calamity in a year to strike the beleaguered ship class, which has been dogged by combat survivability concerns amid all the engineering problems. The events have prompted the Navy's top officer to fast-track changes to the program currently being briefed to leadership.

I have to say the whole idea of a LCS seems pretty stupid to me. It has no armor to speak of, has all of this stealth tech but is pretty easy to see with the old Mk I eyeball, has limited close in weapons capability and for a ship that is supposed to be operating close to shore those all seem to be some pretty major weaknesses.

There you go with that Mk I eyeball bullshit! I guess you never served on a ship.
Everyone of them has broken down......why do you think they are cutting it short......how bout we give em to Coast Guard...about all they are good for

No but I rode on one the USNS Upshur. She was an MSTS ship and served between Germany and New York transporting troops. She was a Littoral Ship in every respect and had no business on the high sea, period! If you want a deep sea, blue water, get one. If the requirement is a shallow water vessel, buy a Jon boat. Compliments of "Catfish Killer".

Everyone of them has broken down......why do you think they are cutting it short......how bout we give em to Coast Guard...about all they are good for

Give "em" to the Coast Guard?????? The Coasties have enough headaches, donchathink?

That's why they call it a shakedown cruise, dufus. I'm not aware of any ship in history that didn't have issues on the first cruise.

More reading comprehension problems? I never said anything about any of that, so what prompted the response?

No but I rode on one the USNS Upshur. She was an MSTS ship and served between Germany and New York transporting troops. She was a Littoral Ship in every respect and had no business on the high sea, period! If you want a deep sea, blue water, get one. If the requirement is a shallow water vessel, buy a Jon boat. Compliments of "Catfish Killer".

My God! How old are you?

That's why they call it a shakedown cruise, dufus. I'm not aware of any ship in history that didn't have issues on the first cruise.
Every one of them.............poor design.........people whine about defense spending and then turn around and defend crap

Every one of them.............poor design.........people whine about defense spending and then turn around and defend crap
Everyone of them going back 600 years is what I referred to.
The Vasa was the worlds largest and most powerful warship 600 years ago. She sailed 20 minutes, capsized and sank.

My God! How old are you?[/QUOTE

Older than you "Bingo", that is for sure. Let me guess, Annapolis Class of 1990? Not bad for a guy my age, huh? And now you feel cheated out of combat pay for all your service in the Tonkin Gulf?

Older than you "Bingo", that is for sure. Let me guess, Annapolis Class of 1990? Not bad for a guy my age, huh? And now you feel cheated out of combat pay for all your service in the Tonkin Gulf?

No Canoe U. for me. I like girls.

ROTC grad in 1984 after enlisted service. Got my combat pay in the Gulf War.

Good lick, sonny, but if u want to play like a big boy, and you should, then bone up a bit. Still, I have your back, even if you are ROTC. What a scary thought! Were U Airborne qualified? There is an exceptional read on the market and available thru Amazon. Will get back with you. PLEASE, try not to get into trouble, but if you do, get a hold of FlaCalTenn. The guy is an absolute whiz at what he does.

Ships are not built for survivability anymore. One can debate the merits of the decision because both sides have good points. A battleship can take repeated hits, but costs a million a day to operate. One of the biggest sea battles of WW2 was the battle of the Philippines, won by tin can destroyers and a few light carriers on sub duty against Jap battleships and heavy cruisers.

Personally, I like the idea of a lot of fast ships with firepower running around every ocean, even if one hit may sink them.

Ships are not built for survivability anymore. One can debate the merits of the decision because both sides have good points. A battleship can take repeated hits, but costs a million a day to operate. One of the biggest sea battles of WW2 was the battle of the Philippines, won by tin can destroyers and a few light carriers on sub duty against Jap battleships and heavy cruisers.

Personally, I like the idea of a lot of fast ships with firepower running around every ocean, even if one hit may sink them.
they have no firepower no range,,,.....and constantly break.......lets get more

Good lick, sonny, but if u want to play like a big boy, and you should, then bone up a bit. Still, I have your back, even if you are ROTC. What a scary thought! Were U Airborne qualified? There is an exceptional read on the market and available thru Amazon. Will get back with you. PLEASE, try not to get into trouble, but if you do, get a hold of FlaCalTenn. The guy is an absolute whiz at what he does.

Not too much use in being airborne qualified on a submarine now is there? :D

they have no firepower no range,,,.....and constantly break.......lets get more
They carry missiles, a lot of them. Zumwalts will soon have rail guns with a range of 125 miles. Our largest ships ever, the Iowa class, had a range of 25 miles.

Not too much use in being airborne qualified on a submarine now is there? :D
You are killing me, Popeye! Forget the book, "The Brave One's" by Michael MeCloud, a forty one year old enlistee in the United States Army, Airborne, Hooha! I am a Retired First Sergeant, Old Army, OD Uniform w/Ike Jacket. God how I love you new guys. Please, I beg of you, buy this book and get an idea of what you are missing out on. Please understand, the affairs in Iraq and Afghanistan are new and today, however, that said, I implore you to read the book. I have not finished it as I cannot stop weeping and being an utter waste of human tissue. Where do these men and women come from? Not my block, to be sure, and I live on the west side of the village.

Forum List

Back