Lions beat Bucs, advance to NFC Championship game

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Pretty good game, but I think the Lions had more many offensive weapons and a better OL. Too bad a bad throw by Mayfield at the end cost them bigly. Don't know if Ragnow will be able to go next week, if not I don't see the Lions winning cuz without him and Jackson their OL is no better than average, if that. But what a year for the Lions just to get this far with a crap secondary.

I'm very pleased for the result, but I also think this is where their run ends.
Not necessarily. They could get outplayed by the 49ers, and still win. In fact, that is what happened in today's Bucs game. Bucs had more total yards, and more offense, with Mayfield passing for 349 yards & 3 TDs, to Goff's 287 yards & 2 TDs.
Lions got 2 turnovers including a tipped pass that went high in the air, and landed where 3 Lions were standing.
You never know with football games.

Not necessarily. They could get outplayed by the 49ers, and still win. In fact, that is what happened in today's Bucs game. Bucs had more total yards, and more offense, with Mayfield passing for 349 yards & 3 TDs, to Goff's 287 yards & 2 TDs.
Lions got 2 turnovers including a tipped pass that went high in the air, and landed where 3 Lions were standing.
Well, let's see. Total yardage was only 17 yards different, 408 to 391, that ain't really outplaying somebody. Then there's the TOP, the Lions had the ball 4 minutes more than the Bucs did, 32-28, that ain't outplaying somebody either. When you have 2 TOs to the other team's 0, that ain't outplaying them. And then there's fact that the Lions scored 4 TDs to the Bucs' 3. And finally, the score was 31-23 and your team lost. You want some cheese with that whine?

Well, let's see. Total yardage was only 17 yards different, 408 to 391, that ain't really outplaying somebody. Then there's the TOP, the Lions had the ball 4 minutes more than the Bucs did, 32-28, that ain't outplaying somebody either. When you have 2 TOs to the other team's 0, that ain't outplaying them. And then there's fact that the Lions scored 4 TDs to the Bucs' 3. And finally, the score was 31-23 and your team lost. You want some cheese with that whine?
438 to 401.. 349 yards passing to 287. 3 to 2 in TDs

On the other hand. Bucs DL do not get enough pressure on Goff, and their OL did not protect Mayfield good enough. Too little time to throw, and some of his passes sailed over receivers.

Last edited:
Here you go again with that crap. Remember, playing down 14, you’re going to throw long more and the defense is going to give you 10 yards at a time. Where Detroit is running the ball trying to eat up clock.

And what happened after we intercepted the ball? Did you hold us to 3 or did we score 7 off that interception?

Field position matters. Did we pin you on the 5?

You have to be better than us defensively and offensively. Overall, the Lions played a better game yesterday.

And Baker blew it in the end.

I told a guy who's big into sports what you said he said that's ridiculous.

Goff didn’t throw interception

Mayfield attempted more passes so of course he had more passing yards.

Higher QBR. Quarterback rating went to Goff yesterday.

underdog favorites now fs

IMG_20240121_133321388_HDR.jpg

Already hammered before kickoff....

underdog favorites now fs

View attachment 891606
Already hammered before kickoff....

This is a wonderful place to be in. Michigan won a National Championship. Lion's have already exceeded our expectations. SF not looking unbeatable. We have a really good shot of going to the Superbowl. Then who knows. Remember no one gave the Giants a chance against Tom Brady's undefeated Patriots in the Superbown and Ali won. If he can do that, anything is possible.

It's easy to say "no way they'll do it". Sure. Neither will 2 other teams. Only 1 of the 4 still in it will "do it". You have a 75% chance of being right. Probably higher because like you said, we are the underdogs.

Too bad SF beat Green Bay. If GB won we'd have another game at home.

Congratulations to the Lions.
Even if they don't get past the 49'ers in the NFC championship game,(which they could) they achieved breaking their cycle and stigma of being the doormats of the NFL.

IMHO, Dan Campbell has been the catalyst in reinventing them as a team with a new attitude, and deserves serious consideration for NFL Coach Of The Year.

Congratulations to the Lions.
Even if they don't get past the 49'ers in the NFC championship game,(which they could) they achieved breaking their cycle and stigma of being the doormats of the NFL.

IMHO, Dan Campbell has been the catalyst in reinventing them as a team with a new attitude, and deserves serious consideration for NFL Coach Of The Year.
I don't want to talk about next year, but I think next year is going to be another really good year for us too. We have a young team. 1 more year experience will help. We see Hutchenson is getting better and better and better...

I don't want to talk about next year, but I think next year is going to be another really good year for us too. We have a young team. 1 more year experience will help. We see Hutchenson is getting better and better and better...
Agreed. They are young and hungry, and now that they have experienced success, they will likely continue to improve.

Agreed. They are young and hungry, and now that they have experienced success, they will likely continue to improve.
Until people get career ending injuries, traded or just old.

Look at Detroit in baseball. We had Verlander and Max Sherzer at the same time. WTF? How did we not win a World Series? And today you hear former Tiger's names on every team in the playoffs.

Headlines like 13 players who recently left Detroit and had more success with other teams​

Matthew Stafford, Justin Verlander aren’t only former Detroit athletes...​

JD Martinez, etc. I think 15 former Tigers were in the playoffs last year. So I hope we don't lose Anzalone, Gibbs, LaPorta, St Brown at the end of the season.​

Look at Detroit in baseball. We had Verlander and Max Sherzer at the same time. WTF? How did we not win a World Series? And today you hear former Tiger's names on every team in the playoffs.

Headlines like 13 players who recently left Detroit and had more success with other teams​

JD Martinez, etc. I think 15 former Tigers were in the playoffs last year. So I hope we don't lose Anzalone, Gibbs, LaPorta, St Brown at the end of the season.​

There's also free agency, a lot of players sign elsewhere for more money or some other reason.

Here you go again with that crap. Remember, playing down 14, you’re going to throw long more and the defense is going to give you 10 yards at a time. Where Detroit is running the ball trying to eat up clock.

And what happened after we intercepted the ball? Did you hold us to 3 or did we score 7 off that interception?

Field position matters. Did we pin you on the 5?

You have to be better than us defensively and offensively. Overall, the Lions played a better game yesterday.

And Baker blew it in the end.
It was competitive right to the last minute. Just like in the Rams game, Lions eeked out a win, They're not going to hav that luxury in the upcoming game(s)

Players leaving teams has killed baseball. The list of players who have left the Tampa Bay Rays over the years, could be an All-Star team. Ben Zobrist, Joe Madden, David Price, Carl Crawford, Evan Longoria, Fred McGriff, Casey Kotchman, James Shields, Alex Cobb, Chris Archer, Jake McGee, Alex Colome', Wade Davis, Carlos Pena, Matt Garza, Aubrey Huff,

Nothing does a better job in getting one to lose interest.

It was competitive right to the last minute. Just like in the Rams game, Lions eeked out a win, They're not going to hav that luxury in the upcoming game(s)
I'd love to see a come from behind win. SF takes their foot off the gas and we come back to tie it up at half. SF scores a field goal in OT and we score a TD to win it.

You don't get lucky twice. We won two playoff games. That's not easy to do. Just ask Dallas. Last time they did it only 10% of us had internet in our homes. LOL.

Maybe. That Lions offense is pretty good, so if SF gives them a chance at the end then anything is possible. Not expecting it though, much depends on Purdy and whether they have Deebo, who is 50-50 to play the last I heard.

Forum List

Back