LinuxMint 13

How does Mint stack up against Ubuntu? I'm facing the prospect of having to upgrade since Ubuntu 11.10 has ended their support cycle. I wasn't a big fan of Unity, and as a result, didn't migrate as they removed the Unity option and committed to that GUI. Now, it seems that I either roll up to this next build or find something that suits my workflow better.

How does Mint stack up against Ubuntu? I'm facing the prospect of having to upgrade since Ubuntu 11.10 has ended their support cycle. I wasn't a big fan of Unity, and as a result, didn't migrate as they removed the Unity option and committed to that GUI. Now, it seems that I either roll up to this next build or find something that suits my workflow better.

You may already now this...LinuxMint is built on a Ubuntu platform.
It is basically Ubuntu minus Unity with all of the restricted codecs pre-installed.
I used Ubuntu for several years until they brought out Unity, then I switched to Mint.
You will like it I am sure.

It is basically Ubuntu minus Unity with all of the restricted codecs pre-installed.
I used Ubuntu for several years until they brought out Unity, then I switched to Mint.

I started finding out about it last night as I read your post. Mint is now at rev 14, and the reviews have been mixed. Do you use the Xfce or the KDE gui?

I started finding out about it last night as I read your post. Mint is now at rev 14, and the reviews have been mixed. Do you use the Xfce or the KDE gui?

Xfce...I am running 13

Xfce...I am running 13

Guess I'll burn a live CD and check it out then.

Finally got around to trying 13 even though 15 is out. Yup fast and supported upt till 2017.
I ran 15 from the disc, loved it but when I went to dual boot install it wouldn't let me so I went with 13, dual booted just fine on my Win 7 Laptop.
Looking to run Ubuntu 12 as a dual boot on my desktop, ran it from disc and it's even faster than Mint. Just have to figure out how to install it over Mint 11 which is already on the desktop.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx4LC6O8y98"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx4LC6O8y98[/ame]

Forum List

Back