Limbaugh has jumped the shark

Yeah, right it is, bigot. Perhaps you should do some research on the origins of the vernacular you use.

This research, which you OBVIOUS didn't bother to do, but which you took the time to accuse someone else of not having done, took me less than a second to find.

You're wrong, naturally.

To "call a spade a spade" is to speak honestly and directly about a topic, specifically topics that others may avoid speaking about due to their sensitivity or embarrassing nature. Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1913) defines it as
“To be outspoken, blunt, even to the point of rudeness; to call things by their proper names without any “beating about the bush”.”
Its ultimate source is Plutarch's Apophthegmata Laconica (178B) which has την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας. σκαφη means "basin, trough", but it was mis-translated as ligo "shovel" by Erasmus in his Apophthegmatum opus. Lucian De Hist. Conscr. (41) has τα συκα συκα, την σκαφην δε σκαφην ονομασων "calling a fig a fig, and a trough a trough".
The phrase was introduced to English in 1542 in Nicolas Udall's translation of Erasmus, Apophthegmes, that is to saie, prompte saiynges. First gathered by Erasmus:
Philippus aunswered, that the Macedonians wer feloes of no fyne witte in their termes but altogether grosse, clubbyshe, and rusticall, as they whiche had not the witte to calle a spade by any other name then a spade. The Oxford English Dictionary records a more forceful variant, "to call a spade a bloody shovel", attested since 1919.

The phrase predates the use of the word "spade" as an ethnic slur, which was not recorded in usage until 1928; however, in contemporary U.S. society, the idiom is often avoided due to potential confusion with the modern racial slur against African-Americans.[1].

Oscar Wilde in his novel The Picture of Dorian Gray (ch. XVII) decries realism in literature through Lord Henry's words:
“The man who could call a spae a spade should be compelled to use one.”
The phrase also features in Wilde's play The Importance of Being Earnest. Cecily declares "When I see a spade, I call it a spade" to which Gwendolen responds "I am glad to say that I have never seen a spade".

[edit] See also

Source: Wikipedia

You know......this is proof that the GOP has finally lost it completely........their ELECTED leader is catching a whole bunch of crap from someone out on the fringes.

Nope......Limbidiot is a narcissist with an ego problem.

and the elected leader seems bothered by it....a guy out on the fringe....that doesnt say much for the elected leader....

No, I think it is tasteless to say that a man who appears to be dying from a brain tumor will be dead soon... and I am guessing he chuckled when he said it. The chuckling would be the tasteless part of the whole thing. I don't like Ted either, but I would never joke about his circumstances.

Of course, I haven't listened to Ole Rush in years, so I am only guessing that he chuckled.

Immie

i wonder if Mary Jo's family is "concerned" about the bloated ones "circumstances"

Is it a strawman to take someone's point, misrepresent it and knock it down? Well yes it is. Right there. Strawman.

What exactly did i misrepresent? Why is it tasteless, crude and offensive to name a bill after a man?

Your strawman tendency is apparent to even the most casual reader of this thread. If you can address a point or an argument please do do. Please don't set up strawmen. My hay fever goes nuts :lol:

No, I think it is tasteless to say that a man who appears to be dying from a brain tumor will be dead soon... and I am guessing he chuckled when he said it. The chuckling would be the tasteless part of the whole thing. I don't like Ted either, but I would never joke about his circumstances.

Of course, I haven't listened to Ole Rush in years, so I am only guessing that he chuckled.

Immie

i wonder if Mary Jo's family is "concerned" about the bloated ones "circumstances"

It would be my hope that her parents have given in to the fact that justice was not and will not be served in this case. It would be my hope that they were able to move on and in some way get over the pain this had to have caused them. Although, being the parent of three children, I can not possibly imagine getting over the death of one of them especially the murder of one of them and the idea that the killer was known, rich, powerful and free!

Does anyone know if her parents are even still alive? I can't imagine they are.

Edit: I was reading "parents" in your post and you clearly said family, but my first paragraph still applies to the family.

Immie

Last edited:
I repeat, Universal Health Care is not socialized medicine.

I think you're right Diuretic. He is a lot like Howard Stern. He was the shock jock, now he's just an older man trying to be dirty. Rush has lost his luster through time, drugs, big ceegars, young hookers, three marriages and a world that just doesn't get that shocked anymore.

He's a frigging talk show host who needs to do this crap to stay in the slime light to keep his show ratings at 1.4 million a day.

He is also showing a lot of US who aren't radical right, what the current Republican party stands for: whatever might work.

Forum List

Back