We need a MEDIA category?

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Why??? So we can marginalize Rush Limbaugh?

Seems to me Limbaugh and POLITICS are pretty inseparable. Comments?

None of us, I think, are really experts in the media, and so a forum devoted to it would undoubtably be mostly a forum about the polticization of the media.

Basically, therefore, I agree.

None of us, I think, are really experts in the media, and so a forum devoted to it would undoubtably be mostly a forum about the polticization of the media.

Basically, therefore, I agree.

Actually, some of us did a stint in journalism. I know I'm not the only one.

Of course it's political. Think about what you said though. Is the media supposed to be politically biased? Methinks not.

At any rate, it's discussed enough, political or not. Actually, I should say the left spends more than enough time ranting about Rush and Fox.

Ah come on Gunny... this category was made to hide yet another collasal failure by the left.

I know you like to play it down the middle, but this is absurd. The left was getting their collective asses handed to them and for reasons known only to you, you felt it important to get this thread off the mainsteam table.

It's cool... but don't pretend it's anything short of that.

Ah come on Gunny... this category was made to hide yet another collasal failure by the left.

I know you like to play it down the middle, but this is absurd. The left was getting their collective asses handed to them and for reasons known only to you, you felt it important to get this thread off the mainsteam table.

Dude, slowly set the bong down. Being careful to not knock over anything, stand up and step back from the table.

But I confess. Here's the big secret: When a topic has enough interest and is discussed often enough, I see if another subforum will work with it as a means of quick navigation for users rather than searching this forum and that for discussions on the media.

Inevitably, there are always those one or two people who have to come out and act as if this forum is a lesser forum than the one at the top of the page. Rather simplistic thinking if you ask me.

It's a simple fact each and every forum cannot be the one on top in a vertical list. This is a message board, not a game of "King of the Mountain."

Dude, slowly set the bong down. Being careful to not knock over anything, stand up and step back from the table.

But I confess. Here's the big secret: When a topic has enough interest and is discussed often enough, I see if another subforum will work with it as a means of quick navigation for users rather than searching this forum and that for discussions on the media.

Inevitably, there are always those one or two people who have to come out and act as if this forum is a lesser forum than the one at the top of the page. Rather simplistic thinking if you ask me.

It's a simple fact each and every forum cannot be the one on top in a vertical list. This is a message board, not a game of "King of the Mountain."
Publius is spot on. You know, I can remember back when there was a ton of talk about CBS there was no special category ever created for "media".

I do agree with you however that Limbaugh attracts a lot of interest... from all quarters... even from Obama himself....and if you'll notice the interest in Rush is almost always connected with his commentary on current POLITICS….his main forte....but then of course there are always those nasty libs spewing their memorized hate-Rush-commentary that always follow like lemmings...

and I can see a use for the category of "Media" because it is a serious subject and warrants special attention...however...

I’d like to know if someone brings up a topic that refers to both Obama and Limbaugh….under which category does it go? If you say MEDIA then I respectfully submit that you are marginalizing Limbaugh by keeping him out of the mainstream of the POLITICS category because the topic surrounding him is almost always of current POLITICAL interest....albeit from a conservative point of view...

Why??? So we can marginalize Rush Limbaugh?

Seems to me Limbaugh and POLITICS are pretty inseparable. Comments?

Quite a stretch. How do you get from a "Media" subforum to marginalizing Rush Limbaugh?

Because the only two threads you put in this category had to do with Limbaugh.

He seems to be the media personality the left has a their sights on recently. If you want to start a thread on another media personality/ outlet, feel free.

Publius is spot on. You know, I can remember back when there was a ton of talk about CBS there was no special category ever created for "media".

I do agree with you however that Limbaugh attracts a lot of interest... from all quarters... even from Obama himself....and if you'll notice the interest in Rush is almost always connected with his commentary on current POLITICS….his main forte....but then of course there are always those nasty libs spewing their memorized hate-Rush-commentary that always follow like lemmings...

and I can see a use for the category of "Media" because it is a serious subject and warrants special attention...however...

I’d like to know if someone brings up a topic that refers to both Obama and Limbaugh….under which category does it go? If you say MEDIA then I respectfully submit that you are marginalizing Limbaugh by keeping him out of the mainstream of the POLITICS category because the topic surrounding him is almost always of current POLITICAL interest....albeit from a conservative point of view...

Publius, and YOU, are way off the mark. How long have you been a member here, SE? Where have you EVER seen me side with the left on the media, or on Rush?

I am not marginalizing Rush Limbaugh. This is NOT the Rush Limbaugh subforum, nor is it a lesser forum than Politics. Rush Limbaugh is a media personality, not a politician. While not marginalizing him, I'm also not going to promote him as anything more than he is.

In defense of Gunny, which is something I never do, I think this is a great idea for a sub-forum and look forward to discussing different media topics.

Publius, and YOU, are way off the mark. How long have you been a member here, SE? Where have you EVER seen me side with the left on the media, or on Rush?

I am not marginalizing Rush Limbaugh. This is NOT the Rush Limbaugh subforum, nor is it a lesser forum than Politics. Rush Limbaugh is a media personality, not a politician. While not marginalizing him, I'm also not going to promote him as anything more than he is.
Hell I’ve been here long enough to sometimes wonder about you Gunny. How can you even separate the media from politics? The "media" out there is what produces all the news, the editorials, and the political commentary. The media is where POLITICS takes place….where you see and hear and read POLITICS. Gee... why don't we send ALL the media reports over into the MEDIA category?

The thread I started about Rush and Obama under POLITICS had over 200 responses. I believe it was popular because it related to the cutting edge of POLITICAL discussion between liberals and conservatives…not because people wanted to talk about Rush per se (unless to denigrate him) as a media personality... which is what you seem to have extrapolated from it. Obama and Limbaugh were butting heads about POLITICAL ideas. It was a clash about POLITICS between the right and the left. It was a discussion on the cutting edge of POLITICS. It was a discussion central and very meaningful down to the very core of POLITICAL discussion of today. But oh well….now whenever the name “Limbaugh” comes up under politics….let’s whoosh it over to the backwaters of MEDIA discussion. Frankly, this kind of parsing is too close to the liberal tactics of isolating and obfuscating, of divide and conquer in order to eliminate the opposition from the main stage.

BTW….Obama is talked about a whole lot….why don’t we have a category just for PRESIDENTS”? Then anytime Obama’s name comes up in a thread we can whoosh it over into his own special category?

Hell I’ve been here long enough to sometimes wonder about you Gunny. How can you even separate the media from politics? The "media" out there is what produces all the news, the editorials, and the political commentary. The media is where POLITICS takes place….where you see and hear and read POLITICS. Gee... why don't we send ALL the media reports over into the MEDIA category?

The thread I started about Rush and Obama under POLITICS had over 200 responses. I believe it was popular because it related to the cutting edge of POLITICAL discussion between liberals and conservatives…not because people wanted to talk about Rush per se (unless to denigrate him) as a media personality... which is what you seem to have extrapolated from it. Obama and Limbaugh were butting heads about POLITICAL ideas. It was a clash about POLITICS between the right and the left. It was a discussion on the cutting edge of POLITICS. It was a discussion central and very meaningful down to the very core of POLITICAL discussion of today. But oh well….now whenever the name “Limbaugh” comes up under politics….let’s whoosh it over to the backwaters of MEDIA discussion. Frankly, this kind of parsing is too close to the liberal tactics of isolating and obfuscating, of divide and conquer in order to eliminate the opposition from the main stage.

BTW….Obama is talked about a whole lot….why don’t we have a category just for PRESIDENTS”? Then anytime Obama’s name comes up in a thread we can whoosh it over into his own special category?

You think Rush is on the cutting edge of something more than media sensationalism? Dude, please.

I'm not separating anything. What part of that don't you get? Rush is not the media. Rush is not politics. Rush is not this subforum title. The media is. I'm getting a MUCH better picture of your complaint though.

You believe Rush is somehow as important to politics as the politics and politicians themselves. Wrong. It isn't that I am marginalizing him ... it's that I don't see him as anything more than what he is. He's a media personality who relies on devisiveness and sensationalism to get people on both sides of the aisle pissed off at each other and keep them there.

YOU might call that politics. I call it what's WRONG with politics.

Wow ... I missed that ... someone thinks the media is where politics happen? LOL ... seriously, have so many Americans forgotten how to think for themselves?

You think Rush is on the cutting edge of something more than media sensationalism? Dude, please.

I'm not separating anything. What part of that don't you get? Rush is not the media. Rush is not politics. Rush is not this subforum title. The media is. I'm getting a MUCH better picture of your complaint though.

You believe Rush is somehow as important to politics as the politics and politicians themselves. Wrong. It isn't that I am marginalizing him ... it's that I don't see him as anything more than what he is. He's a media personality who relies on devisiveness and sensationalism to get people on both sides of the aisle pissed off at each other and keep them there.

YOU might call that politics. I call it what's WRONG with politics.
Well, Well. The real truth comes out. In your OPINION Limbaugh is a nobody in the political world. So that is reason enough to shut him out of the POLITICS category….

Whatever happened to the First Amendment here?

I pray for my country.

Wow ... I missed that ... someone thinks the media is where politics happen? LOL ... seriously, have so many Americans forgotten how to think for themselves?
Silly kitten….from where do you get current political information and discussion if you don’t get it through the media?

Forum List

Back