Lilly Ledbetter Fair pay Act of 2009

peach174

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
S.E. AZ
How many people actually know that the Ledbetter Fair pay act does not give women the right to actually get paid the same amount as a man does?
All the act does is give you a longer time to be able to sue.
It does absolutely nothing for women to actually get paid the same amount, as a man does in the same job.

All it does is give lawyers more jobs.
The complete text of the bill;
Full Text of S. 181 (111th): Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 - GovTrack.us

I knew it didn't give women equal pay. Obama supporters often act like the Equal Pay Act of 1963 never existed.

I didn't know why Republicans didn't favor it. On the face it seemed like a relatively innocuous bit of legislation.

I knew it didn't give women equal pay. Obama supporters often act like the Equal Pay Act of 1963 never existed.

I didn't know why Republicans didn't favor it. On the face it seemed like a relatively innocuous bit of legislation.

It wasn't. And that's why they didn't favor it.

It's extremely difficult to discover what other people are making around you..and could get you fired.

The time component almost makes enforcement of the act, impossible.

Which is why this was a major victory for women and labor in general.

How many people actually know that the Ledbetter Fair pay act does not give women the right to actually get paid the same amount as a man does?
All the act does is give you a longer time to be able to sue.
It does absolutely nothing for women to actually get paid the same amount, as a man does in the same job.

All it does is give lawyers more jobs.
The complete text of the bill;
Full Text of S. 181 (111th): Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 - GovTrack.us

and if you understood what ledbetter v goodyear held, you wouldn't be posting this thread.

a bit of background... workplace pay discrimination claims could always be brought within a certain amount of time from when the woman KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN.

the rightwing of the USSC held that ledbetter waited too long to bring her claim EVEN THOUGH SHE HAD NO BASIS TO KNOW OF THE PAY DESCRIMINATION EARLIER.
That would mean that the laws requiring equal pay for women were, essentially, gutted and could not be enforced.

the lily ledbetter act DID NOT GIVE MORE TIME TO SUE... it undid the disgusting decision in ledbetter v goodyear and made the equal pay laws enforceable again.

so there ya go...

Forum List

Back