Zone1 Life is short

sparky

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2008
paradise
So you age....... your family passes , your friends pass........you find yourself more alone

and this comes up on your 'puter>>>>

In 1981, just after John passed, Paul and Linda invited legendary rockabilly musician Carl Perkins to stay with them on the Island of Montserrat, where producer George Martin had a studio. Paul wanted Carl’s help in recording a song called “Get It” for his new “Tug of War” album.
It was literally just weeks after John’s murder, and both George and Ringo came to spend time with their former bandmate.
The night before Carl was scheduled to leave, a song came to him that summed up his warm feelings about the visit. The song was so clear in his mind that he didn’t even write it down, which was unusual for Carl.
The next morning he played the song, “My Old Friend”, for Paul and Linda, explaining that it was a gift for having him as a guest.
Halfway through the song when Carl sang the words “if we never meet again this side of life, in a little while, over yonder, where there’s peace and quiet, my old friend, won’t you think about me every now and then?”
Paul stood up and abruptly left the room with tears streaming down his face.
Not sure what had just happened, Carl stopped playing, and Linda hugged him. She thanked him for helping Paul grieve, explaining that he hadn’t been able to fully break down since John passed.
Paul later explained that the last words John spoke to him in the hallway of the Dakota building were
“think about me now and then old friend”.

1668463457282.png

some of you know exactly what i'm posting about

~S~

I will be turning 63 in February. I have lost so many friends and family in recent years. But I know it is the natural order of things.

And some day, in the not too distant future, I will go. I am comfortable with that. I have lived a great life. I have had 2 successful careers that I enjoyed. I have made many, many friends, from all over the world. I have loved and been loved. I have experienced many things that I enjoyed.

I am actually curious about what is next. I am satisfied that I have lived my life in a way I can be proud of. I have loved, helped people (both those I know and don't know), rescued numerous dogs, and gone out of my way to bring smiles to people.

A Warren Zevon song that seems to fit this thread.

The line that stands out for me is: "There's a train leaving nightly call when all is said and done".

This alone should grant you entry into the next good place... if there is one.

If you ever drive over to the Charleston area, drop me a note. We can break bread and bend the elbow.

I agree. Rescuing dogs has been one of my greatest achievements after raising some great kids into great people.

And I would like that very much.

It starts with the death of a parent and goes down ill (deaths-wise) from there.

I saw a former co-worker and HS friend at the gun shop one day a few months back.....He looked as hale and hardy as I am.....Dead the next week from a cancer.

Just doing for me and mine the best I can and waiting my turn at this point. That's life.

I will be turning 63 in February. I have lost so many friends and family in recent years. But I know it is the natural order of things.

And some day, in the not too distant future, I will go. I am comfortable with that. I have lived a great life. I have had 2 successful careers that I enjoyed. I have made many, many friends, from all over the world. I have loved and been loved. I have experienced many things that I enjoyed.

I am actually curious about what is next. I am satisfied that I have lived my life in a way I can be proud of. I have loved, helped people (both those I know and don't know), rescued numerous dogs, and gone out of my way to bring smiles to people.
I feel much the same. I’m 65 and would like to live awhile longer, primarily to enjoy my grandchildren.

My FIL lived to 99. All his siblings and friends died long before he did. He was physically strong and active to about 90, then dementia hit. We took very good care of him until the end, but it was sad to see such a great man lose his mind. I’m hoping to live long and die quick.

It starts with the death of a parent and goes down ill (deaths-wise) from there.

I saw a former co-worker and HS friend at the gun shop one day a few months back.....He looked as hale and hardy as I am.....Dead the next week from a cancer.

Just doing for me and mine the best I can and waiting my turn at this point. That's life.
I suppose but my experience is a bit different. My older brother killed himself at 28. I was 23. My kid sister one year younger than me, died a very slow painful death from breast cancer at 36.

When you lose people very close to you at a young age, you become hardened to death.

Last edited:
I suppose but my experience is a bit different. My older brother killed himself at 28. I was 23. My kid sister one year younger than me, died a very slow painful death from breast cancer at 36.

When you lose people very close to you at a young age, you become harden to death.
I’m sorry for your losses

best i can do Gip....
~S~
I’ve read a lot about the Beatles lately, but hadn’t read this. What a great story.

Like most of us who were around when the Beatles were together, I’ve long considered them among the greatest.

When you lose people very close to you at a young age, you become harden to death.
In Peacetime, Children Bury Their Parents. In Wartime, Parents Bury Their Children

In my company (H 2/5) thirty-eight Marines died before they reached what was then voting age.

A fundamental illusion of man, the illusion of not being dead once we already are, is how the fairy tales of theology establishes its power. As Derrida notes, eternity would actually be the very worst. Suggested reading is Haegglund, This Life: Why Mortality Makes Us Free.

Forum List

Back