Liberal Economics: Fable and Failure

7. And, back to the point.....are these studies indicating that at the heart if Liberal governance is the view that producing lazy, unemployed folks is good????

If studies show that workers sit back and accept benefits until they run out, rather than accept work......

....do we really want to produce citizens who live at their leisure at the expense of their neighbors??????

Well....

a. At least 106 million Americans receive benefits from one or more of these programs. Sara Murray, “Nearly Half of U.S. Lives in Household Receiving Government Benefit,”
Wall Street Journal, October 5, 2011, http://blogs.
wsj.com/economics/2011/10/05/nearly-half-ofhouseholds-receive-some-government-benefit/.

b. 'None of this, of course, includes middleclass entitlements such as Medicare and
Social Security, which, while not designed specifically as anti-poverty programs, nevertheless represent transfer payments from the government.' Scribd

So, shut off all entitlement/transfer payments. I don't care, and welfare was never my idea to begin with. I have always believed these things only represent bribes to the impoverished population to prevent mass riots and, ultimately, overthrow of the prevailing systems.

The Reagan numbers aren't impressive at all, considering that he (1) relied heavily upon federal deficit spending to achieve them, (2) economies emerging from deep cyclical recessions always improve relative to recessionary years, and (3) the prime interest rate is (supposedly) not dependent upon specific legislative actions.

Spin…altering the truth without altering the facts.

Bet you wish Barack Hussein Obama had those numbers.

I honestly don't see much difference between presidents Obama and Reagan, except that Reagan empowered private ownership of news and information. Their rhetoric was different, of course, but their actual actions are similar.

That's because you're a moron.
No, you're angry because you're unattractive.

You are lucky to be born beautiful, unlike me - who was born to be a big liar!

I'm quite surprised you admitted this.

Big Government only helps itself and its Cronies...at the expense of people who are self-reliant and just want to be left alone.
This is quite possibly true, but it applies across political continuums.

Where did I mention politics, bub?
I suppose you did not, B. Many folks, though, seem to believe that R's disdain "big government." I don't think that's true; it's simply differing views of how government spends its money. Nearly everybody seems to want big government, but they want THEIR big government.

Spin…altering the truth without altering the facts.

Bet you wish Barack Hussein Obama had those numbers.

I honestly don't see much difference between presidents Obama and Reagan, except that Reagan empowered private ownership of news and information. Their rhetoric was different, of course, but their actual actions are similar.

That's because you're a moron.
No, you're angry because you're unattractive.

You are lucky to be born beautiful, unlike me - who was born to be a big liar!

I'm quite surprised you admitted this.

I've always heard that one needs an intellect to get the benefit of humor.

You've just proved it.

7. And, back to the point.....are these studies indicating that at the heart if Liberal governance is the view that producing lazy, unemployed folks is good????

If studies show that workers sit back and accept benefits until they run out, rather than accept work......

....do we really want to produce citizens who live at their leisure at the expense of their neighbors??????

Well....

a. At least 106 million Americans receive benefits from one or more of these programs. Sara Murray, “Nearly Half of U.S. Lives in Household Receiving Government Benefit,”
wsj.com/economics/2011/10/05/nearly-half-ofhouseholds-receive-some-government-benefit/.

b. 'None of this, of course, includes middleclass entitlements such as Medicare and
Social Security, which, while not designed specifically as anti-poverty programs, nevertheless represent transfer payments from the government.' Scribd

So, shut off all entitlement/transfer payments. I don't care, and welfare was never my idea to begin with. I have always believed these things only represent bribes to the impoverished population to prevent mass riots and, ultimately, overthrow of the prevailing systems.

If you vote Democrat, it indicates that your post is just one more lie.

Well....

So basically one can sum up PC's thoughts thusly:

Republican = GOOD
Democrat = BAD

You are the problem, PC.

Well....

Republican = GOOD
Democrat = BAD

You are the problem, PC.

Wait....is Obama the personification of the Democrat Party?

Yes?

Well, then....
Republican = GOOD
Democrat = BAD

...is correct.

Well....

Republican = GOOD
Democrat = BAD

You are the problem, PC.

Yes?

Well, then....
Republican = GOOD
Democrat = BAD

...is correct.
Who in the hell said THAT? He's a personification of the Wall Street party--as is every U.S. president. Fools like you think that there is some kind of actual debate going on in the halls of Congress . . . that's absurd. Washington is simply full of well-paid professional politicians that work hard at reelection.

Well....

Republican = GOOD
Democrat = BAD

You are the problem, PC.

Yes?

Well, then....
Republican = GOOD
Democrat = BAD

...is correct.
Who in the hell said THAT? He's a personification of the Wall Street party--as is every U.S. president. Fools like you think that there is some kind of actual debate going on in the halls of Congress . . . that's absurd. Washington is simply full of well-paid professional politicians that work hard at reelection.

Barack Obama
(born 1961)
[136][137][138]
January 20, 2009IncumbentDemocratic56
(2008)
U.S. Senator from Illinois
(2005–2008)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
List of Presidents of the United States - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

8. Can we find evidence that the community organizer is behind the current increases government give-aways???

That he intends to make more folks slaves on the government plantation????

Absolutely!

a. During the current recession (over a comparable three year period), enrollment increased by 12 million people, while spending increased by $30 billion. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Services, “Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Participation and Costs,” Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program SNAP Food and Nutrition Service.

b. "….the dramatically larger increase also suggests that part of the program’s growth is due to conscious policy choices by this administration to ease eligibility rules and expand caseloads….income limits for eligibility have risen twice as fast as inflation since 2007 and are now roughly 10 percent higher than they were when Obama took office.
Casey Mulligan, “The Sharp Increase in the Food Stamps Program,” Economix,
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/the-sharp-increase-in-the-food-stamps-program/
Study More Than Half a Trillion Dollars Spent on Welfare But Poverty Levels Unaffected CNS News

given that rightwingnut voodoo economics has failed each and every time, i'm amused and bemused, PC. lol

I'm happy that you enjoyed the post..e.g., laughing out loud.

But I'd be even happier if you were correct in your post, e.g., "rightwingnut voodoo economics has failed each and every time."

In other words, you couldn't be more wrong.
You could try to be....but you would be unsuccessful.

For example....the unmitigated success of President Reagan....

1. The economy grew at a 3.4% average rate…compared with 2.9% for the previous eight years, and 2.7% for the next eight.(Table B-4)
    2. Inflation rate dropped from 12.5% to 4.4%. (Table B-63)
    3. Unemployment fell to 5.5% from 7.1% (Table B-35)
    4. Prime interest rate fell by one-third.(Table B-73)
    5. The S & P 500 jumped 124% (Table B-95) FDsys - Browse ERP
    6. Charitable contributions rose 57% faster than inflation. Dinesh D’Souza, “Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary May Became an Extraordinary Leader,” p. 116
b. and c. Kiva - Kiva Lending Team Team Ron Paul Hulk Hogan Jesus of Nazareth Chuck Norris Ronald Reagan John Wayne Thomas Jefferson Alex Jones Peyton Manning The Tuskegee Airmen Schiff REAL Americans and George W. Bush

Bet you feel stupid now, huh?
Rep. Gerry Connolly says Reagan raised taxes during five years of presidency PolitiFact Virginia

Yes, he raised taxes in 1982, 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1987."

Reagan’s efforts to cut top income tax rates at the same time he was increasing defense spending created strain, and the federal debt rose from $994 billion at the start of his first term to almost $2.9 trillion at the end.

-------------------------------------------------

He raised taxes and still created trillions in deficit. Republican politics. They have sucked and caused disaster for decades. But this current crop of Republicans is pure poison.

war-on-poverty.jpg

given that rightwingnut voodoo economics has failed each and every time, i'm amused and bemused, PC. lol

I'm happy that you enjoyed the post..e.g., laughing out loud.

But I'd be even happier if you were correct in your post, e.g., "rightwingnut voodoo economics has failed each and every time."

In other words, you couldn't be more wrong.
You could try to be....but you would be unsuccessful.

For example....the unmitigated success of President Reagan....

1. The economy grew at a 3.4% average rate…compared with 2.9% for the previous eight years, and 2.7% for the next eight.(Table B-4)
    2. Inflation rate dropped from 12.5% to 4.4%. (Table B-63)
    3. Unemployment fell to 5.5% from 7.1% (Table B-35)
    4. Prime interest rate fell by one-third.(Table B-73)
    5. The S & P 500 jumped 124% (Table B-95) FDsys - Browse ERP
    6. Charitable contributions rose 57% faster than inflation. Dinesh D’Souza, “Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary May Became an Extraordinary Leader,” p. 116
b. and c. Kiva - Kiva Lending Team Team Ron Paul Hulk Hogan Jesus of Nazareth Chuck Norris Ronald Reagan John Wayne Thomas Jefferson Alex Jones Peyton Manning The Tuskegee Airmen Schiff REAL Americans and George W. Bush

Bet you feel stupid now, huh?
Rep. Gerry Connolly says Reagan raised taxes during five years of presidency PolitiFact Virginia

Yes, he raised taxes in 1982, 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1987."

Reagan’s efforts to cut top income tax rates at the same time he was increasing defense spending created strain, and the federal debt rose from $994 billion at the start of his first term to almost $2.9 trillion at the end.

-------------------------------------------------

He raised taxes and still created trillions in deficit. Republican politics. They have sucked and caused disaster for decades. But this current crop of Republicans is pure poison.

Sooooo glad you fell into that.

1. Under Reagan, the debt went up $1.7 trillion, from $900 billion to $2.6 trillion.
  2. But….the national wealth went up $ 17 trillion
  3. Reagan's near-trillion-dollar bulge in defense spending transformed the global balance of power in favor of capitalism. Spurring a stock-market, energy, venture-capital, real-estate and employment boom, the Reagan tax-rate cuts and other pro-enterprise policies added some $17 trillion to America's private-sector assets, dwarfing the trillion-dollar rise in public-sector deficits and creating 45 million net new jobs at rising wages and salaries.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444914904577621083163383966.html

Reaganomics - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

But....but.....these are poor starving folks.....they need the assistance to LIVE!!!!
What would happen to 'em if not for Liberal taxpayer funds give-aways????
They'd dieeeeeeeeee!

Hardly.

Salon ran an article about how the ‘cool’ have no problem using the system, called “Hipsters on Food Stamps.”

9. "Mak, 31, grew up in Westchester, graduated from the University of Chicago and toiled in publishing in New York during his 20s before moving to Baltimore last year with a meager part-time blogging job and prospects for little else. About half of his friends in Baltimore have been getting food stamps since the economy toppled, so he decided to give it a try; to his delight, he qualified for $200 a month.

I’m sort of a foodie, and I’m not going to do the ‘living off ramen’ thing,” he said, fondly remembering a recent meal he’d prepared of roasted rabbit with butter, tarragon and sweet potatoes. “I used to think that you could only get processed food and government cheese on food stamps, but it’s great that you can get anything.” Hipsters on food stamps - Salon.com

Let's serenade Mak with this Liberal anthem:

Last edited:
  1. "But conservatives question the benefit to the economy, noting that most economic studies—including those by the CBO—show that enhanced unemployment benefits cause the unemployment rate to rise, not fall. … unemployment benefits reduce the incentive to find work. With unemployment benefits available, people might hold out. Even left-leaning economists agree that, when the economy is chugging along, extending unemployment benefits beyond 26 weeks causes more harm than good." Does Extending Jobless Benefits Help the Economy - US News

"...causes more harm than good."
Yet they do it.

1. Extending jobless benefits allows people to put off difficult choices, such as moving to another state to find work, switching industries, getting retrained or accepting lower salaries, said Chris Edwards, an economist with the Cato Institute, which advocates for a limited government role.Unemployment benefits extension reviewed for 9th time - Dec. 13 2011

National Bureau of Economic Research
states with 99 weeks did worse than states with 26 weeks.
"Umemployment Benefits and Unemployment in the Great recession"
"Most of the persistent increase in unemployment during the great recession can be accounted for by the unprecidented extension of unemployment benefits eligibility"

J: Of course it does!. That is why all states require those who receive unemployment to prove they are looking for work.

Lawrence Summers:

First, government assistance increases the measure of unemployment by prompting people who are not working to claim that they are looking for work even when they are not. The work-registration requirement for welfare recipients, for example, compels people who otherwise would not be considered part of the labor force to register as if they were a part of it. This requirement effectively increases the measure of unemployed in the labor force

The second way government assistance programs contribute to long-term unemployment is by providing an incentive, and the means, not to work. Each unemployed person has a "reservation wage"—the minimum wage he or she insists on getting before accepting a job. Unemployment insurance and other social assistance programs increase that reservation wage, causing an unemployed person
to remain unemployed longer.

Unemployment insurance also extends the time a person stays off the job. Clark and I estimated that the existence of unemployment insurance almost doubles the number of unemployment spells lasting more than three months.

Another cause of long-term unemployment is unionization. High union wages that exceed the competitive market rate are likely to cause job losses in the unionized sector of the economy.

Sherk quotes academic studies by Alan Krueger, the current Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Economic Policy, and Lawrence Summers, current director of the White House's National Economic Council - both to the effect that unemployment insurance is a disincentive to seek work.

Sherk also quotes from an economics textbook by Nobel economist and liberal columnist Paul Krugman that unemployment insurance "reduces a worker's incentive to quickly find a new job."

Krugman does not hide from the statement.

"Do unemployment benefits reduce the incentive to seek work? Yes: workers receiving unemployment benefits are likely to be slightly more choosy about accepting new jobs.

Forum List

Back