Let's Reward Chicago's Dumbest Students With A Laptop!

"the otter box defender..." is technology available today. allows a blackberry to thrown and dropped on to a hard surface... and it's fine. that's technology that's available on the market today. i just saw a guy juggle and throw one. thank you

and just how much does the Blackberry with this defender cost? That's a jazzed up cellphone, now a Toughbook costs just over $1k and one better not repeatedly throw it on the ground. It's built 'tough', but not indestructible.

You all have been throwing around $100-300, not going to get you this no matter the discounts. Heck, bet it wouldn't get you the Blackberry with that sort of case.

we will overcome. it's about priorities.

"the otter box defender..." is technology available today. allows a blackberry to thrown and dropped on to a hard surface... and it's fine. that's technology that's available on the market today. i just saw a guy juggle and throw one. thank you

and just how much does the Blackberry with this defender cost? That's a jazzed up cellphone, now a Toughbook costs just over $1k and one better not repeatedly throw it on the ground. It's built 'tough', but not indestructible.

You all have been throwing around $100-300, not going to get you this no matter the discounts. Heck, bet it wouldn't get you the Blackberry with that sort of case.

When it's feasible, which was my point all along. If they have money to even consider spending $200 per kid, (which I know they don't), then it seems the money would be better spent on programs that enriched the lives of the kids, like field trips to museums, concerts, etc., their programs in the arts have been drastically.

Another alternative would be making SmartBoard interactives part of each classroom, then all that's needed is a dedicated computer the teacher can operate.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=319sEUWZ6zk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaQRHzB-Qwc&feature=related[/ame]

They cost about $1800 installed.

Kids Laptop Computers Barbie B-smart | Jannas Discount Gift Shop

Kids Laptop Computers Barbie B-smart
List Price:
Our Price: $89.99
You Save:

And you think that will last how long going back & forth to school and room changes at school? How long is the battery life, if it has one? You do know that cords cannot go across floors, right? Fire and safety hazards.

Seriously, you've seem to give this even less thought than Chico and you've had a couple days to consider now.

List Price:
You Save:

And you think that will last how long going back & forth to school and room changes at school? How long is the battery life, if it has one? You do know that cords cannot go across floors, right? Fire and safety hazards.

Seriously, you've seem to give this even less thought than Chico and you've had a couple days to consider now.

With kids today? They need one of these...

Toughbook.jpg

Panasonic "Toughbook" ;)

List Price:
You Save:

i have decided to make this my "lifes work", just to prove you wrong. i envison a day of "no chords"

List Price:
You Save:

i have decided to make this my "lifes work", just to prove you wrong. i envison a day of "no chords"
I'm sure that one day, in the not so distant future this will happen. But if it's in Chicago within the next 4 years? Disaster regarding use of resources.

I'm sure that one day, in the not so distant future this will happen. But if it's in Chicago within the next 4 years? Disaster regarding use of resources.

we waste too much money... may i ask if you are union ? either way there are cuts to be made.

we waste too much money... may i ask if you are union ? either way there are cuts to be made.

Not currently, but if hired in public schools I must be. Even subbing they take a huge cut for TRS, (teacher retirement system).

how do you feel about teachers" union ?

From all I can tell and what I've heard, they are very effective at getting money and protecting the incompetent teachers. They seem to have very little desire to improve the system, whether inner city or suburbs. Yes, even excellent schools should strive to be better.

I'd prefer to opt-out, but not possible in Illinois.

Corrupt Liberal Teacher Unions are the main cause of our Public Education downfall. Year after year they tell us they don't have enough money. So year after year they're given more money yet they still fail miserably. All the money in the World wont fix this broken system. This Laptop farce is just another example of Liberal Teacher Union stupidity. Supposedly they don't have enough money to purchase books & pencils but now all of sudden they do have enough money to purchase Thousands & Thousands of Laptops. It just makes no sense. Get rid of the corrupt Teacher Unions and our Public Schools might make a comeback.

While I agree with the unions cause problems, they are NOT the source of this controversy, it's a candidate for mayor. There's enough blame for all the problems that plagued CPS. There's the unions, the politicians, the parents, the gangs, ....

There are lots of excuses, but only one real way to make a positive, parents who really care a lot. No matter how pathetic the school environment, parents who are involved and care make the difference between success and disaster.

I remember reading Sowell's book about the conditions of his school in North Carolina. Sowell's parents made the difference.

Judge Thomas didn't see the inside of a public school, as his grandad made sure he could afford not to send him there. Judge Thomas makes a big deal in his book about just how intense those sacrifices were.

List Price:
You Save:

"Chord"?.....A musical tone?.. A measurement of a bundle or stack of wood?
Hey, genius....the word is "cord"...and BTW computers and other electronic devices do not employ the use of cords. The connection to other devices and the electrical outlet is a "cable".
And no, the cables would be used. Trip and fire hazard. These would have to be battery powered.
This giveaway and terrible misuse of taxpayer resources will not happen because not only is it expensive, it is impractical.
Leave it to a lib to make it his personal cause in finding ways to jerry-jack more taxpayer dollars.

Yeah they waste money. On idiotic schemes such as the Kansas City, MO school district's brilliant idea of throwing $1billion at sagging test scores and low graduation rates. The district educrats decided to build new gleaming facilities with new sports facilities, pools added labs and other frills. The result was mismangement of funds, school construction over runs and other errors and finally zero improvement in test scores and graduation rates.

Music Library Stock Music For TV, Film, Commercials and Business

Damn I'm good!!!!!

Hey, genius....the word is "cord"...and BTW computers and other electronic devices do not employ the use of cords. The connection to other devices and the electrical outlet is a "cable".
And no, the cables would be used. Trip and fire hazard. These would have to be battery powered.
This giveaway and terrible misuse of taxpayer resources will not happen because not only is it expensive, it is impractical.
Leave it to a lib to make it his personal cause in finding ways to jerry-jack more taxpayer dollars.

sorry ace, i'm a musician, i should have said patch or "power connector", internet too. you got me.
at the time, i am at in vermont working on firewood today. again my apologies for this egregious misnomer. perhaps it was freudian

Last edited:

sorry ace, i'm a musician, i should have said patch or "power connector", internet too. you got me.
at the time, i am at in vermont working on firewood today. again my apologies for this egregious misnomer. perhaps it was freudian

Ahh Vermont. The Green Mountain State. Very beautiful. Been there many times. Played a couple of the most scenic golf courses I have ever been on..
Politically?...A bit too "left" for me.

Ahh Vermont. The Green Mountain State. Very beautiful. Been there many times. Played a couple of the most scenic golf courses I have ever been on..
Politically?...A bit too "left" for me.

me too, way me too. golf is amazing in vt. thanks

Forum List

Back