Lets Restart the Calendar to a Year NOT Referencing the birth of Christ

I noticed that the left constantly creates issues over nothing but stupidity. This and free rubbers is just a couple of examples.

Ever wonder why we can never work together?

Clean debate, please. This is just a fun thread, no need for your constant negativity.

Oh God. Can you imagine the enormous Government Boondoggle to create an enormous regulatory bureaucracy to oversee the Calendar Change?

I noticed that the left constantly creates issues over nothing but stupidity. This and free rubbers is just a couple of examples.

Ever wonder why we can never work together?

Clean debate, please. This is just a fun thread, no need for your constant negativity.

Well, it has been a while since anyone seriously called me a leftist, lol.

That alone made it worth reading.

But yes, this was supposed to be a fun thread, tounge in cheek so to say.

One might wonder why those who criticize a thread bother to do so. Also, automatically assigning everything with which they disagree to 'the left' and, thus, 'wrong' is a surprising attirbute.

Can't let the grinches end this thread. So far we have: (sorry if I missed any)

44 AT (After Toro)- The Birth of Toro!

65 SA (Silicon Age)- The invention of the transistor.

104 AF (Annum Ford)- First Model T rolls off the assembly line.

176 CE (Crapper Era)- Birth of Thomas Crapper.

376 DE (Descartes Era)- Cogito Ergo Sum promulgated.

544 ME (Modern Era)- Invention of the printing press.

1434 AH (After Hijra)- Emigration from Mecca to Medina.

2765 AUC (Ab Urbe Condita)- From the founding of Rome.

66452 SD (Star Date)- The favorite of nerds everywhere.

I believe we need a poll.

The first one is the best.

If we use the birth of the universe then:
It as non-centrist as you can get.
It is a finite beginning point that covers all events.
It could be devided into metrics that are based on interstellar movements.
It will accommodate the ever lengthening of years as the Earth moves ever farther from the sun.
We could still have a local annual calendar (a dirivitive) that keeps our Equinox's and Solctice's dates correct until the sun devours our little world in 5.5 billion years.

The first one is the best.

My favorites:

SA, Silicon Age, vital to the media that's become integral to the modern world and the one I came up with.

ME, Modern Era, important in igniting the Renaissance and hence the modern world.

AUC, Ab Urbe Condita, because I'm a history nerd.

Personally I don't think we have a starting point yet. We're still in BI (Before Intelligence).

In the attempt to secularize the calendar, many, if not most academics use the appending 'CE' for 'Common Era' but they fail to acheive their goal because the zero date is the year of the birth of Christ as most traditionally calculated.

So here is a suggestion: change the zero year to the start of the modern era. But what year is that? And why the modern era?

The modern era is characterized by a change of mental attitudes about the knowlege and authority of writers long dead from the ancient world. The idea of learning in almot all of the pre-Modern world was to bring up some treatise from a learned ancient and glean knowlege from it. The modern era thought began with mathematical and scientific approaches and said 'What can we most certainly know about a subject' then built on that.

The cosmology of the modern era was almost completely reversed from the middle ages and the ancient world. This is what began to shape the world as we know it today.

But what event would be the best reference to date the modern era from?

The fall of Constantinople? That is more of a symbolic importance, and had little real impact on the modern world.

The discovery of the Americas by Columbus? That really didnt change ancient cosmolgy to modern, though it did establish the economic domination of the Western European nations till the end of the Twentieth century, but that affect is now almost completely passed as evidence of China India and the rise of the USA have demonstrated, all nonEuropean nations.

The heliocentric view of the universe? Another mistake in concept of the universe since there really is not ca enter of the universe, except perhaps where the Big Bang took place. This was more derivative than causal and was largely ignored by most astronomers till Gallileo, at least that is my impression.

The development of astronimical navigation? Well, the impact of that was limited to commerce mostly and is again more derivative of other major changes rather than being the root change to modern cosmology itself.

I think the production of the first printing press in 1468 is the best event to deliniate the beginning of the Modern Cosmology. This development led to an explosion of learning as books became far more affordable and easier to print. Books became the posession of anyone who wanted to read them enough to save up some paltry sum and buy them.

The development of the printing press allowed the mass production of astronomical tables that allowed for astronomical navigation. Ubiqitous tomes of knowlege made universal education possible, allowed for easier and more acurate record keeping, and unleashed the modern mind to think of new worlds, new ideas and new ways of life. The printing press gave us an explosion of learning, creativity and accuracy far surpassing the pre-modern times.

So, without further explanation, I present to you all the year 544 M.E., Modern Era.

I'm sorry , but what kind of dumb shit pussy do you have to be to be offended at the calender? I mean seriously?

Jesus was an important man in world history whether you are a Christian or not.

Oh,and the months are mostly named after Roman gods,you don't see Christians whining about that do you?

Jesus you people make me want to cry.

I'm sorry , but what kind of dumb shit pussy do you have to be to be offended at the calender? I mean seriously?

Oh,and the months are mostly named after Roman gods,you don't see Christians whining about that do you?

I'm sorry, but did you miss the title of this forum? What don't you get about a fun thread? I think an apology is in order. You violated the terms of the board.

In the attempt to secularize the calendar, many, if not most academics use the appending 'CE' for 'Common Era' but they fail to acheive their goal because the zero date is the year of the birth of Christ as most traditionally calculated.

So here is a suggestion: change the zero year to the start of the modern era. But what year is that? And why the modern era?

The modern era is characterized by a change of mental attitudes about the knowlege and authority of writers long dead from the ancient world. The idea of learning in almot all of the pre-Modern world was to bring up some treatise from a learned ancient and glean knowlege from it. The modern era thought began with mathematical and scientific approaches and said 'What can we most certainly know about a subject' then built on that.

The cosmology of the modern era was almost completely reversed from the middle ages and the ancient world. This is what began to shape the world as we know it today.

But what event would be the best reference to date the modern era from?

The fall of Constantinople? That is more of a symbolic importance, and had little real impact on the modern world.

The discovery of the Americas by Columbus? That really didnt change ancient cosmolgy to modern, though it did establish the economic domination of the Western European nations till the end of the Twentieth century, but that affect is now almost completely passed as evidence of China India and the rise of the USA have demonstrated, all nonEuropean nations.

The heliocentric view of the universe? Another mistake in concept of the universe since there really is not ca enter of the universe, except perhaps where the Big Bang took place. This was more derivative than causal and was largely ignored by most astronomers till Gallileo, at least that is my impression.

The development of astronimical navigation? Well, the impact of that was limited to commerce mostly and is again more derivative of other major changes rather than being the root change to modern cosmology itself.

I think the production of the first printing press in 1468 is the best event to deliniate the beginning of the Modern Cosmology. This development led to an explosion of learning as books became far more affordable and easier to print. Books became the posession of anyone who wanted to read them enough to save up some paltry sum and buy them.

The development of the printing press allowed the mass production of astronomical tables that allowed for astronomical navigation. Ubiqitous tomes of knowlege made universal education possible, allowed for easier and more acurate record keeping, and unleashed the modern mind to think of new worlds, new ideas and new ways of life. The printing press gave us an explosion of learning, creativity and accuracy far surpassing the pre-modern times.

So, without further explanation, I present to you all the year 544 M.E., Modern Era.

:lol:

I'm sorry, but did you miss the title of this forum? What don't you get about a fun thread? I think an apology is in order. You violated the terms of the board.

An apology to who? THe author of the article the OP posted. No, I won't apologize to him.

I will apologize if my comment hit a little too close to home for anyone here.

Forum List

Back