Lets Restart the Calendar to a Year NOT Referencing the birth of Christ

I say we start the new secular calender on the date of the invention of the first flushable toilet...because let's face it...nothing symbolizes the secular common era better. :razz:

There ya go. So we can keep using "CE" and "BCE" for the "crapper era".
:clap2:

If you want the calendar to start at a watershed moment why not the formation of the solar system or the formation of the universe? Our date would look something like 12/27/13500000001, then we would have a reference to other intelligent life when we finally run into them.

We are going to need to update all the operating systems for our computers again...

If you want the calendar to start at a watershed moment why not the formation of the solar system or the formation of the universe? Our date would look something like 12/27/13500000001, then we would have a reference to other intelligent life when we finally run into them.

We are going to need to update all the operating systems for our computers again...

That's much better. Plus it will be much easier to explain to the Romulans than the "crapper era".

It might be easier to get the science family interested and the programmer geeks and nerds would also climb on board. The general public might resist but if we tell them that aliens told us to do it they would probably believe it.

Common era - a point in time when the evolved societies on planet earth began to use a common calendar. Each civilized part of the world used to have their own and it was very difficult to get a date with a girl in another area because there was no commonality in the calendars.

That's much better. Plus it will be much easier to explain to the Romulans than the "crapper era".

Sir Thomas is going to be totally bummed...

(Wasted my 8000th post on this)

Last edited:

Sir Thomas is going to be totally bummed...

(Wasted my 8000th post on this)

You sure did, congratulations :eusa_clap:
You'll never live this down.

In the attempt to secularize the calendar, many, if not most academics use the appending 'CE' for 'Common Era' but they fail to acheive their goal because the zero date is the year of the birth of Christ as most traditionally calculated.

So here is a suggestion: change the zero year to the start of the modern era. But what year is that? And why the modern era?

The modern era is characterized by a change of mental attitudes about the knowlege and authority of writers long dead from the ancient world. The idea of learning in almot all of the pre-Modern world was to bring up some treatise from a learned ancient and glean knowlege from it. The modern era thought began with mathematical and scientific approaches and said 'What can we most certainly know about a subject' then built on that.

The cosmology of the modern era was almost completely reversed from the middle ages and the ancient world. This is what began to shape the world as we know it today.

But what event would be the best reference to date the modern era from?

The fall of Constantinople? That is more of a symbolic importance, and had little real impact on the modern world.

The discovery of the Americas by Columbus? That really didnt change ancient cosmolgy to modern, though it did establish the economic domination of the Western European nations till the end of the Twentieth century, but that affect is now almost completely passed as evidence of China India and the rise of the USA have demonstrated, all nonEuropean nations.

The heliocentric view of the universe? Another mistake in concept of the universe since there really is not ca enter of the universe, except perhaps where the Big Bang took place. This was more derivative than causal and was largely ignored by most astronomers till Gallileo, at least that is my impression.

The development of astronimical navigation? Well, the impact of that was limited to commerce mostly and is again more derivative of other major changes rather than being the root change to modern cosmology itself.

I think the production of the first printing press in 1468 is the best event to deliniate the beginning of the Modern Cosmology. This development led to an explosion of learning as books became far more affordable and easier to print. Books became the posession of anyone who wanted to read them enough to save up some paltry sum and buy them.

The development of the printing press allowed the mass production of astronomical tables that allowed for astronomical navigation. Ubiqitous tomes of knowlege made universal education possible, allowed for easier and more acurate record keeping, and unleashed the modern mind to think of new worlds, new ideas and new ways of life. The printing press gave us an explosion of learning, creativity and accuracy far surpassing the pre-modern times.

So, without further explanation, I present to you all the year 544 M.E., Modern Era.
Don't like. Sorry Charlie.

[ame="http://youtu.be/_pJw3N4KmMQ"]70's Starkist Tuna Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

Dumb but what the hell.
It is now the year 2720.

From what starting point? I say, 2765 AUC.

The founding of Rome though the reference I found is slightly different than yours...

753 BCE is the traditional date for the founding of Rome. Do you have a cite for the date you're using? Undoubtedly modern archaeology has come up with a different date from the one found in Roman legend.

We should be on the eve of the year 376, counting from when Descartes declared, "Cogito ergo sum". Modernity truly arrived with this understanding of existence.

From what starting point? I say, 2765 AUC.

The founding of Rome though the reference I found is slightly different than yours...

753 BCE is the traditional date for the founding of Rome. Do you have a cite for the date you're using? Undoubtedly modern archaeology has come up with a different date from the one found in Roman legend.

I dunno, the day I posted I looked it up...sure don't remember today, may have done the math wrong while the coffee was still brewing, will take what you got as a correction without any complaint. Either way, the founding of Rome is as good a date as any if the calendar is to be jacked with.

Last edited:
We should be on the eve of the year 376, counting from when Descartes declared, "Cogito ergo sum". Modernity truly arrived with this understanding of existence.

But there are a lot of completely modern people who reject Cartesian cosmology and say it fails the test of falsifiability.

Shouldnt we use something that universally buttresses the modern age?

There are no generalities about Descartes implied, merely the recognition once and for all that philosophy and culture accepted that the only verifiable thing is consciousness.

But there are a lot of completely modern people who reject Cartesian cosmology and say it fails the test of falsifiability.

Shouldnt we use something that universally buttresses the modern age?

Then something to do with the computer? I say that when they came along we moved from the Iron Age to the Silicon Age. The transistor was invented in 1947, making this the year 65 SA. :2up:

I noticed that the left constantly creates issues over nothing but stupidity. This and free rubbers is just a couple of examples.

Ever wonder why we can never work together?

I noticed that the left constantly creates issues over nothing but stupidity. This and free rubbers is just a couple of examples.

Doesn't it make you wonder, how the same people living in the same country can turn out so different?

Some people turn out using logical reasoning, the other turns out using their emotions. Has to have something to do in their brain.

Last edited:

Doesn't it make you wonder, how the same people living in the same country can turn out so different?

Some people turn out using logical reasoning, the other turns out using their emotions. Has to have something to do in their brain.

I think it has to do with your surroundings.

If you're constantly exposed to bad influences you turn out pretty screwed up.

If you expose yourself to good things you turn out good most of the time.

Forum List

Back