Let's do away with all high school and college sports programs.

Maybe you're full of shit. Athletics don't prevent students from studying hard and getting good grades. Quite the contrary.

Then why the hell do we need athletic scholarships? Earn a scholarship in the classroom, not on the playing field or court. Let me ask you a question: do you believe there are some kids who pin their hopes on an athletic scholarship and therefore are not studying as hard as they should to get an academic scholarship? How many kids don't get the athletic scholarship and have nothing to fall back on? I think that option ought to be off the table, and if you want to be successful then do it the same way a 98 lb weakling has to do it.

... do you believe there are some kids who pin their hopes on an athletic scholarship and therefore are not studying as hard as they should to get an academic scholarship? ....

Most kids like that don't end up getting either one. YOU feeling inferior to athletic students doesn't make YOU smarter or THEM dumber.

do you realize how much money the school loses if they are done away with?....
Universities don't make a profit on sports. They generally spend everything they bring in. The non P4 programs subsidize their sports, from 20 to 50 million year, by charging non scholly students. It's in their tuition payments, sometimes even a line item.

Back in the day when I grew up.
Before video games and the internet.
The parks and school sport fields were always filed with kids.
Today when I drive by those same parks and fields.
They are completely empty.
Not a kid to be seen.
True

The state champion High School shooter in Idaho is a female.
But she had one of those 10000 dollar shotguns to do it.
A 10,000 dollar shotgun does not make anyone a champion. I would be willing to bet she could beat you, or me with a musket.

I once got beat at pool, when I was fair at the game, by a guy using a broom stick.

Universities don't make a profit on sports. They generally spend everything they bring in. The non P4 programs subsidize their sports, from 20 to 50 million year, by charging non scholly students. It's in their tuition payments, sometimes even a line item.
And alumni donations? And school merchandize? And (athletic and non) recruiting? etc.

A 10,000 dollar shotgun does not make anyone a champion. I would be willing to bet she could beat you, or me with a musket.

I once got beat at pool, when I was fair at the game, by a guy using a broom stick.
But could he clean the floor?

High school football is a source of revenue for the schools

And the very last things kids today need is less physical activity

Then why the hell do we need athletic scholarships? Earn a scholarship in the classroom, not on the playing field or court. Let me ask you a question: do you believe there are some kids who pin their hopes on an athletic scholarship and therefore are not studying as hard as they should to get an academic scholarship? How many kids don't get the athletic scholarship and have nothing to fall back on? I think that option ought to be off the table, and if you want to be successful then do it the same way a 98 lb weakling has to do it.
The existence of athletic scholarships doesn’t prevent anyone from earning an academic scholarship

And those kids who earned an athletic scholarship worked their asses off 100% as much as the ones who earned an academic one

Forum List

Back