Legalize Drugs, Why?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
A first-ever drug analysis of drivers killed in car crashes found one in three tested positive for drugs in 2009, the Office of National Drug Control Policy reported Tuesday.

Gil Kerlikowske, director of the National Drug Control Policy, said the percentage was alarming and should serve as a wakeup call.

“We have not paid very much attention to the drugged driving issue,” Kerlikowske, President Obama’s so-called drug czar, told CNN. “It is a significant problem.”

Kerlikowske said he wanted to raise awareness not only of the dangers of driving under the influence of illegal drugs, but of getting behind the wheel while taking powerful prescription or over-the-counter medications.

As part of a Fatal Accident Reporting System, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration tests drivers killed in crashes for narcotics, stimulants, depressants, marijuana, hallucinogens, PCP, anabolic steroids and inhalants. These include illegal drugs, prescription drugs and over-the-counter medicines.

Drugs common in fatal car crashes – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

A first-ever drug analysis of drivers killed in car crashes found one in three tested positive for drugs in 2009, the Office of National Drug Control Policy reported Tuesday.

Gil Kerlikowske, director of the National Drug Control Policy, said the percentage was alarming and should serve as a wakeup call.

“We have not paid very much attention to the drugged driving issue,” Kerlikowske, President Obama’s so-called drug czar, told CNN. “It is a significant problem.”

Kerlikowske said he wanted to raise awareness not only of the dangers of driving under the influence of illegal drugs, but of getting behind the wheel while taking powerful prescription or over-the-counter medications.

As part of a Fatal Accident Reporting System, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration tests drivers killed in crashes for narcotics, stimulants, depressants, marijuana, hallucinogens, PCP, anabolic steroids and inhalants. These include illegal drugs, prescription drugs and over-the-counter medicines.

Not sayin' it isn't dangerous to drive on drugs but most drugs are still detectable in your system days after you take them so I'm taking the 1 in 3 figure with a big grain of salt.

Additionally, citing this study as an argument against legalizing drugs when the numbers include prescription drugs and over-the-counter drugs is whack.

So keeping them illegal is really getting the job done, I see.
God forbid we legalize them, and be able to regulate them.

driving while under the influence of alcohol used to be (and perhaps still is) the most likely cause for vehicular accidents....

yet.....drinking alcohol is NOT illegal.

when it comes to alcohol the law makers were RATIONAL enough to make laws AGAINST DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE but NOT against DRINKING ALCOHOL

the same rational and logical laws should apply to drugs

your lack of rational reasoning skills (on SOME issues) is always a big disappointment to me.

FTA-The Office of National Drug Control Policy did not provide a breakdown of the drugs found in drivers who died in accidents....

Gee I wonder why?

I approve of legalizing all drugs for recreational use. I do not approve of driving while under the influence of any drug.

Legalize Drugs, Why?
Because the silly-assed and utterly failed "war" on (some) drugs is no more than a big welfare program for cops (federal state and local), do-gooder ONDCP bureaucrats and the prison-industrial complex...That's why.

CivilLiberties.jpg

With drugs illegal, those who are illegally doping are also more likely to illegally drive intoxicated. Your article is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The majority of people who are wise enough to not drive drunk or doped, will not be regularly purchasing illegal narcotics. Legalize drugs, and these people will still avoid driving drunk/doped...leaving the automobile fatality rate virtually unchanged.

I think 'legalize drugs' is a great idea. The rate of fatal accidents and even taking illegal drugs can be reduced in this way, which is although a very necessary factor and the common welfare! Anyway, one has to change the norms in order to betterment the life.

lol.. how stupid this list every source of drugs there are...so with your logic prescription and over the counter medication should be illegal

How would you regulate cocaine and crack?

How do you regulate prescription pills?
First off, you can make sure some asshole dealer isn't cutting them with vet drugs.
Second, you can put an age limit on their use. It was easier to buy pot in high school, that it was beer. My pot dealer never checked my ID.

First off, you can make sure some asshole dealer isn't cutting them with vet drugs.
Second, you can put an age limit on their use. It was easier to buy pot in high school, that it was beer. My pot dealer never checked my ID.

I can understand that maybe with weed but with crack? I don't know, I've never met a functional person who can hold down a job who smokes crack, everyone I know who smokes crack lives in abandoned houses and begs for change.

I can understand that maybe with weed but with crack? I don't know, I've never met a functional person who can hold down a job who smokes crack, everyone I know who smokes crack lives in abandoned houses and begs for change.

If you legalize coccaine you probably can cut down on crack use. ;)

Crack came about AFTER cocaine was made illegal. ;)

Yeah I know, I just don't think all hard drugs like crack, heroin and meth should be legal though. Cocaine maybe because I have known people who could hold down a job doing it, the other drugs not so much.

Crack came about AFTER cocaine was made illegal. ;)

Yeah I know, I just don't think all hard drugs like crack, heroin and meth should be legal though. Cocaine maybe because I have known people who could hold down a job doing it, the other drugs not so much.

Heroin is already legal, it is called Oxycotin. ;) It is legal for big pharma, but not the little guy. I had two friends become addicted to oxys, then start heroin because it was cheaper.
I think drug use should be decriminalized. The only thing the War on Drugs has accomplished, is wasting tax dollars, making drug lords wealthier, and creating more drug addicts.

Forum List

Back