Lawyers for TX Man Asks Court to Spare His Life Over Low IQ

geauxtohell said:
The point of the statement is that people are more than willing to make a decision if they don't have to do the dirty work.
you're the one making an issue over the time factor, not me

your underlined once again proves my point....a juror would not likely convict if they had to do the "dirty work" of guarding them....you're just to arrogant to admit you're wrong so you'll just spout crap about how i'm a hockey puck

No you are comparing apples and oranges and trying to walk with that BS argument.

The issue has always been about the ultimate act of taking life. Most ordinary people want no part of it. That's why Juries are shielded from it by simply giving a verdict. My BIL's point was, in a hypothetical world where juries had to execute the defendant they found guilty, they would be less likely to vote "guilty".

Other than that, I have no idea why you keep bringing up the "guarding for life" vignette. Life imprisonment is not equal to execution.

If it were, no one would be getting worked up over this issue.

its apples to apples....that is, convicting someone if you are willing to mete out the punishment....it doesn't matter if its death or life in prison, the core and sole issue is whether a jury would convict if they had to mete out the punishment....

and my point about your brother in law's comment is that it is logically absurd and since you brought up legal knowledge...his point is also legally flawed as juries are not supposed to mete out punishment, that would destroy impartiality of the jury

next

You know......they could let the dude out, but that would be bad for him.

I hear hunting season opens the second he steps out of jail.............

It's good when we can agree on a subject.

I doubt a good dude like you would engage in murder.

I never said that I would engage in murder either.

I'll just beat on him until he quits moving, but is still breathing, and just simply walk away.

Well, I don't think they are evil. Especially since I am sleeping with a 3rd year law student.

I certainly think they are necessary.

Sleeping with a law student??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I need to go take a shower just thinking about that. BRB.

Well, in fairness, she was my wife before becoming a law student.

In all seriousness, I appreciate the law students. They are a hell of a lot more social than the med students.

OMG, you're sleeping with a married woman!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I've gotta go take another shower.

BTW, I'm going tell Xotoxi what you said about Med students and he's gonna cry.

They already fried him.

Texas has executed a 44-year-old man for raping and murdering an 11-year-old girl, despite pleas from his attorneys he is too mentally impaired to qualify for capital punishment.

From the article it doesn't sound as if he is mentally retarded. The punishment fits the crime.

At his trial, Cody Patterson testified Woods attacked him, and prosecutors presented a mountain of evidence implicating Woods in Sarah's killing, including signed confessions.

Richard Hattox, the former Hood County district attorney who prosecuted Woods, said authorities also had DNA evidence of the girl's blood on Woods' knife, her blood on his shoe and his DNA on her panties, which were found in Woods' car.

"How could there be little doubt?" Hattox said Wednesday. "Every bit of his appeal effort has been expended toward his claim of retardation. And there's no proof he is retarded."

Actually, he WAS retarded.

Anyone that would do something like that to a kid HAS to be retarded. And.......should also be executed as well.

you're the one making an issue over the time factor, not me

your underlined once again proves my point....a juror would not likely convict if they had to do the "dirty work" of guarding them....you're just to arrogant to admit you're wrong so you'll just spout crap about how i'm a hockey puck

No you are comparing apples and oranges and trying to walk with that BS argument.

The issue has always been about the ultimate act of taking life. Most ordinary people want no part of it. That's why Juries are shielded from it by simply giving a verdict. My BIL's point was, in a hypothetical world where juries had to execute the defendant they found guilty, they would be less likely to vote "guilty".

Other than that, I have no idea why you keep bringing up the "guarding for life" vignette. Life imprisonment is not equal to execution.

If it were, no one would be getting worked up over this issue.

its apples to apples....that is, convicting someone if you are willing to mete out the punishment....it doesn't matter if its death or life in prison, the core and sole issue is whether a jury would convict if they had to mete out the punishment....

and my point about your brother in law's comment is that it is logically absurd and since you brought up legal knowledge...his point is also legally flawed as juries are not supposed to mete out punishment, that would destroy impartiality of the jury

next

Wow. Yurt claims imaginary fiat.

That's a shocker.

Again, you knucklehead, my brother-in-law made a quip. It wasn't "legal advice". I repeated the quip. I never intended to write a thesis on it.

You can take it or leave it. Obviously, you are going to leave it.

But quit acting like your personal opinion comes from some sort of supreme logical argument.

Sleeping with a law student??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I need to go take a shower just thinking about that. BRB.

Well, in fairness, she was my wife before becoming a law student.

In all seriousness, I appreciate the law students. They are a hell of a lot more social than the med students.

OMG, you're sleeping with a married woman!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I've gotta go take another shower.

BTW, I'm going tell Xotoxi what you said about Med students and he's gonna cry.

:lol:

Or me. I am a med student. We have fun, just not as much fun as the drunks, I mean Law Students.

Forum List

Back