lawn question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MyName, May 21, 2005.

1. MyName

MyName Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I finally grew grass in my front yard! W00t! (as d would say lol)
    My neighbors are even impressed; theyve told me that due to the shade cover (we have amazing trees), that grass has never grown here since the house was built pretty much.

This grass has become my obsession, my baby. I wont even let DK fertilize it, much less water it lol. ITS MINE!

Im still working on a couple of bare spots so I have grass growing at all stages. When can I safely mow it without fear of killing any of the new growth?

DK is getting tired of seeing me in the yard with scissors b/c Im too 'askerrd' of a mower killing anything.

lol

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    If you put down seed, you can start mowing ~6 weeks after you first seeded. If you put down sod, you'll need to wait until the sod's soil has mixed in well enough with your yard's topsoil - roughly 4 weeks.

3. MyName

MyName Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you notice that I said that *I* as in ME, ME ALONE did this? :)

Where was DK when I was doing this? I'll give you 3 guesses but you'll only need one....THATS RIGHT FOLKS! Right here posting on the USMB!

:teeth:
    :poke:

4. MyName

MyName Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    BTW

Thank you Jeff :) It was seed. Im fixing some bare spots today so do I wait 6 weeks from when I am doing it today? If I do, we're gonna look pretttty scruffy (not that I care - im just happy to have grass!)

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I'd wait until a) six weeks after you seeded the entire yard the first time, and b) at least a week until you've hit the bare spots. If you still have bare spots after that, wait until the fall to reseed those areas. You may be surprised to see the grass naturally spread.

And congrats on do the yeard ALL BY YOURSELF! :D

6. MyName

MyName Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    did I mention that I did this all by myself? :dance:

(hey, this is a big thing - I never do stuff by myself. Hell, I dont even clean my house by myself - so this is monumental) :banana:

7. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If my dark powers are so feeble, how did I get you to do the grass by yourself??? :soul:

8. MyName

MyName Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I know that I have an answer for this, but Im not sure what it is right now.
    :asshole:

9. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll tell you when I want you to know it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. MyName

MyName Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Watch what you say, dear husband, or it will only be Dillo and myself eating prime rib tomorrow nite.

I'd love to argue more with you, but I have to get out and work on my gardens.

(Note to all reading - *I* am the one working in the yard while *HE* hangs curtains in the baby's room)

:whip3: