• No

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Pineapple

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Derideo_Te

Je Suis Charlie
Mar 2, 2013
A watchdog group has put a creepy twist on the iconic "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" ad.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest recreated the 1971 ad with people who have illnesses tied to sugar consumption, such as diabetes, hypertension, tooth decay, and obesity.

Read more: Creepy take on iconic I d like to buy the world a Coke ad - Business Insider

Certainly puts things into perspective considering the obesity and diabetes epidemics in this nation.

We never had these jumbo sized sodas when I was growing up but we did have regular sodas.

Perhaps it is time we stopped thinking that bigger is better.

Your thoughts?

A watchdog group has put a creepy twist on the iconic "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" ad.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest recreated the 1971 ad with people who have illnesses tied to sugar consumption, such as diabetes, hypertension, tooth decay, and obesity.

Read more: Creepy take on iconic I d like to buy the world a Coke ad - Business Insider

Certainly puts things into perspective considering the obesity and diabetes epidemics in this nation.

We never had these jumbo sized sodas when I was growing up but we did have regular sodas.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts?

Tax the fat off fat people, and use the proceeds to fix all the shit their fatasses broke.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts?

Tax the fat off fat people, and use the proceeds to fix all the shit their fatasses broke.

Putting aside the snark you bring up a valid point.

It is costing us all a great deal in taxes to deal with this obesity/diabetes epidemic so why don't we impose a "sugar tax" on all products containing sugar?

The tax can be proportional to the sugar content and the proceeds can go to paying for the medical costs.

It will have a twofold benefit IMO.

Firstly it will make consumers more aware of the cost of all that excess sugar and secondly those who are consuming it will be paying for their own healthcare in the future.

How about just cutting off the food stamps? The fattest fucks I see on a day to day basis are assisted out of grocery stores with carts full of snacks paid for with EBT cards.

Yes, let's regulate something else to generate taxes and infringe on adults living their lives. Funny how progressives always wish to control every aspect of a persons life. How about this. If you develop Type II diabetes and take no corrective measures....you die. No government telling me how to live, just you, living your life the way you want, and dieing when your time is up.

Yes, let's regulate something else to generate taxes and infringe on adults living their lives. Funny how progressives always wish to control every aspect of a persons life. How about this. If you develop Type II diabetes and take no corrective measures....you die. No government telling me how to live, just you, living your life the way you want, and dieing when your time is up.

When you're a criminally insane authoritarian sociopath who considers people to be a "human resource", you don't view a person as an individual who can make independent choices. You view them as cattle owned by the dear leader whose diets have to be managed and whose population numbers have to be controlled.

Any wonder why the democrooks are so desperate to disarm us?

I'm under no illusions.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts?

It is costing us all a great deal in taxes to deal with this obesity/diabetes epidemic so why don't we impose a "sugar tax" on all products containing sugar?

The tax can be proportional to the sugar content and the proceeds can go to paying for the medical costs.

Firstly it will make consumers more aware of the cost of all that excess sugar and secondly those who are consuming it will be paying for their own healthcare in the future.

We're already paying a sugar tax in the form of a sugar subsidy. Let U.S. sugar be sold at real market value.

Sugar Subsidies Are a Bitter Deal for American Consumers Economics21

Such savings would have positive consequences for America’s growth. An Iowa State University study by John Beghin and Amani Elobeid concluded that if the sugar program were abolished, U.S. sugar prices would fall by roughly a third, saving consumers $2.9 billion to $3.5 billion.

Also, are all us diabetics and fatties not paying for own healthcare as it is? I know I pay for my health insurance just like most employed people. Exactly whose healthcare are you talking about? Also, don't forget, sugar is in a lot of foods not necessarily called "sweets". A lot of so-called normal folks ingest their fair share of sugar on a daily basis. Where do you think people with Type II diabetes come from?
We could all do with less sugar and a generally healthier diet, but our culture is built on sugar and processed foods. What's your proposal for changing that? :dunno:

Your thoughts?

My thoughts?

We're already paying a sugar tax in the form of a sugar subsidy. Let U.S. sugar be sold at real market value.

Such savings would have positive consequences for America’s growth. An Iowa State University study by John Beghin and Amani Elobeid concluded that if the sugar program were abolished, U.S. sugar prices would fall by roughly a third, saving consumers $2.9 billion to $3.5 billion.

Also, are all us diabetics and fatties not paying for own healthcare as it is? I know I pay for my health insurance just like most employed people. Exactly whose healthcare are you talking about? Also, don't forget, sugar is in a lot of foods not necessarily called "sweets". A lot of so-called normal folks ingest their fair share of sugar on a daily basis. Where do you think people with Type II diabetes come from?
We could all do with less sugar and a generally healthier diet, but our culture is built on sugar and processed foods. What's your proposal for changing that? :dunno:

Thank you for bringing up the sugar subsidies. They are definitely part of the problem.

What I was referring to with the "sugar tax" was in reference to Medicare. Once you stop working taxpayers are paying the medical bills for seniors and it costs more for those with avoidable diseases like Obesity and Diabetes. The "sugar tax" would offset some of those costs.

I agree that sugar is loaded into all kinds of foods where it is completely unnecessary. Peanut butter is an example. I only buy plain peanut butter without any sugar because it is completely unnecessary. Same applies to a range of other foodstuffs that don't need it. The "sugar tax" would make the regular products less expensive.

So my proposal is to use the "sugar tax" to change the way people eat. If there are two products on the shelf and the one without sugar costs less which one would you buy?

Your thoughts?

My thoughts?

Thank you for bringing up the sugar subsidies. They are definitely part of the problem.

What I was referring to with the "sugar tax" was in reference to Medicare. Once you stop working taxpayers are paying the medical bills for seniors and it costs more for those with avoidable diseases like Obesity and Diabetes. The "sugar tax" would offset some of those costs.

I agree that sugar is loaded into all kinds of foods where it is completely unnecessary. Peanut butter is an example. I only buy plain peanut butter without any sugar because it is completely unnecessary. Same applies to a range of other foodstuffs that don't need it. The "sugar tax" would make the regular products less expensive.

So my proposal is to use the "sugar tax" to change the way people eat. If there are two products on the shelf and the one without sugar costs less which one would you buy?

Well, think about this. We already have diet and sugar free foods, but people still will buy the sugar-containing foods rather than the diet. Why? Because it tastes better! I made the mistake of buying sugar free Hostess cupcakes once. Blech! They were just not the same, so to be honest, I would probably still buy the sugary food. :D I think it is fine in moderation. Just don't overdo it.

How about just cutting off the food stamps? The fattest fucks I see on a day to day basis are assisted out of grocery stores with carts full of snacks paid for with EBT cards.

Pete7469

Most food stamps go to children, the elderly and handicapped, including veterans.

How about you

:anj_stfu:

Your thoughts?

My thoughts?

What's your proposal for changing that?

Don't buy it.
Don't eat it.

My whole family is fat, diabetic, loaded with heart disease. I'm not.
My whole family eats meat, sugar, salt, fat.
I'm the oldest of my surviving siblings. The others ALL died of diet/lifestyle related illness.

Type II diabetes is largely preventable. Although children don't have a choice about what it put in front of them, no one is forcing adults to eat crappy food. We all make choices that impact our health. You DO have the same choices I do.

Free country...

No, its not.

If you are fat, diabetic, have heart disease/cancer and if you smoke, eat meat, eat sugar and indulge in other choices that cost you your health and if you don't have the money to pay for your bills, it costs the rest of us to care for you.

A very small percentage of our population pays the medical bills for the rest.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts?

Sugar is hidden in so many products. Ketchup is loaded with salt and sugar but our taste buds are so accustomed to the excess, we think foods don't taste good unless they're very sweet or very salty.

Good thread Derideo_Te and a subject that touches us all.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts?

I think if people were better informed about what sugar really does to one's body and mind to begin with, it would go a long way toward addressing diabetes and obesity. We're not well informed, and we love us some sweets. Sugar is porn for the masses. I don't know that this is something that can be taxed out of us. I also don't think that food producers really want an educated population. But it's slowly happening anyway. There are simply too many of us with health issues arising from excess to ignore it anymore. We can't all be on insulin and join Jenny Craig. Can we?

Free country...

No, its not.

If you are fat, diabetic, have heart disease/cancer and if you smoke, eat meat, eat sugar and indulge in other choices that cost you your health and if you don't have the money to pay for your bills, it costs the rest of us to care for you.

A very small percentage of our population pays the medical bills for the rest.

Yes. The WEALTHY do. The poor can't. The middle class doesn't want to pay for it....and the students that the Obama admin wants to carry O care forward don't need anything other than catastrophic.

Funny how that works...

Your thoughts?

My thoughts?

What's your proposal for changing that?

Don't buy it.
Don't eat it.

My whole family is fat, diabetic, loaded with heart disease. I'm not.
My whole family eats meat, sugar, salt, fat.
I'm the oldest of my surviving siblings. The others ALL died of diet/lifestyle related illness.

Type II diabetes is largely preventable. Although children don't have a choice about what it put in front of them, no one is forcing adults to eat crappy food. We all make choices that impact our health. You DO have the same choices I do.

Sounds simple. The fact is, that, while no one is putting a gun to anyone's head to stuff Twinkies down their gullet, by the time most of us have health problems, our habits are deeply ingrained. Changing a lifetime of habits isn't exactly a walk in the park. I know from experience. It takes accurate information and help from those around me--many of whom still enjoy the things I need to avoid.
How can conditions truly be called preventable when we're raised to engage in the behaviors that lead to them? Expected outcomes is what I'd call them. You've managed to not fall into the trap. Good for you. There's a whole bunch of us who fell in head first.
Just saying "No" doesn't really cut it when everything in popular culture is loudly exclaiming "YES!"
I'm just saying that a little education can go a long way toward reducing the incidence of so-called "preventable" conditions. Starting the good habits early is a more reasonable approach to preventing problems.
Of course, someone will trot out their 148 year old grandma who's eaten nothing but fat slabs of bacon on white bread with mayonnaise and smoked and drank nothing but whiskey from birth, and who's still spry and sharp as a tack. Unfortunately, most of us aren't built that way. We actually have to pay the piper for our ways.
Of course, this begs the question: who decides what's good for us? All I know is that mass quantities of sugar daily isn't.

Interesting opinion. Only, that's not even remotely what the OP is about.

Did they teach you how to read OPs on your planet?

:D

Actually, yes it is germane to the OP. Furthermore it directly addresses an opinion that was made. The OP is about sodas and their inherent costs. Health care, and Obama care specifically, are directly applicable.

Actually, yes it is germane to the OP. Furthermore it directly addresses an opinion that was made. The OP is about sodas and their inherent costs. Health care, and Obama care specifically, are directly applicable.

Ahhh, interesting.

Are you equipped with an on/off switch?

Forum List

Back