Language Holds us back

Sense

Apr 16, 2011
I was in a class yesterday and we got into a very interesting subject. Ok so we all know that words and language are necessary to think right. But its also what stops us from being able to "think deeply" because we begin to trip over our words, we are limited by the words definitions. Its like being in a box, which by stating you're in a box i have just restricted you through words.
For everyone who doesn't understand this, which is probably everyone here is an example.
Take time.It is usually moving forwar. But now i have labeled time as a noun which means i now can and must give it adjectives, traits, characteristics. So let's call time a line which can be curved. That however creates time as a line which wont work so lets call it a plane. Now you put a hole in a plane that's not a hole but an extension going downward, but that downward is not going down as we reference down to be but instead back which can't be.
Make no sense? That's because it is not possible, we can't possibly describe something without words to it, which we can't create without reference words. This means we can't think further than what we understand exactly at this moment, we can only merely fluctuate what we already know.
And yes I may be insane.

why i get what is being said totally.....you cannot express the depth of your emotions...simply due to lack of word to express it....few of us have the minds the enable us to cut thru all the bs to the actual basic feeling or raw emotions that cause our actions...can one really express the rage one feels at times...or the joy one feels at times....no...you dont have the verbal abilities to do that. there are times something will simply take your breath away...but its a non event to the person next to you and you cannot make them understand why its a total event to you

why i get what is being said totally.....you cannot express the depth of your emotions...simply due to lack of word to express it....few of us have the minds the enable us to cut thru all the bs to the actual basic feeling or raw emotions that cause our actions...can one really express the rage one feels at times...or the joy one feels at times....no...you dont have the verbal abilities to do that. there are times something will simply take your breath away...but its a non event to the person next to you and you cannot make them understand why its a total event to you
Yet when you feel that you aren't thinking and can not think about it.

The better your reading and communication skills, the better you are able to communicate delicate, vague, difficult subjects.

The thing that I notice all my clients have in common, no matter where they come from, is their HORRIBLE communication skills. I have people who REGULARLY don't put their names on applications; who don't even bother reading the application.

Nothing will hold people back to thoroughly as lacking language proficiency.

So if you are frustrated with your ability to communicate complicated subject matter, you need to increase your vocab and your skills. Education is power, and you can educate yourself.

I'm always amazed at the people on here who think they are sensibly debating based on the fact that they lie and obfuscate. They really think they are accomplishing something; but all they are doing is bringing the tone of the convo down and proving they have no desire to learn. And all that is based in having crappy communication skills.

Something else I've found is that people who are prone to bragging about their abilities are those most likely to be severely lacking them. They know this, and have identified the problem and worked on it, and they think that makes them superior to everyone else. It doesn't. It's the old dirtying of the water...bad=good, smart=dumb, good=bad. Nimrods start fucking with the meaning of words, and nobody can communicate crap to each other because words no longer mean anything.

What is being referred to here is the science of linguistic relativity.

This theory was first postulated by Benjamin Whorf.

And is known as the Whorfian Hypothesis.

It basically states that the words and pattern of sentence structure dictates the thought patterns of each individual culture and society.

That is why a German and a Chinese person think differently and have developed different cultures..

It is a fascinating subject and I highly recommend that you Google it and read about the theory.

What is being referred to here is the science of linguistic relativity.

This theory was first postulated by Benjamin Whorf.

And is known as the Whorfian Hypothesis.

It basically states that the words and pattern of sentence structure dictates the thought patterns of each individual culture and society.

That is why a German and a Chinese person think differently and have developed different cultures..

It is a fascinating subject and I highly recommend that you Google it and read about the theory.

And then there is Bandler and Grinder's (founders of Nuero-Linguistic Programming) writings on language and how it can be used for positive transformation therapuetically. In their application, language does the opposite of holding us back.

Last edited:
I was in a class yesterday and we got into a very interesting subject. Ok so we all know that words and language are necessary to think right. But its also what stops us from being able to "think deeply" because we begin to trip over our words, we are limited by the words definitions. Its like being in a box, which by stating you're in a box i have just restricted you through words.
For everyone who doesn't understand this, which is probably everyone here is an example.
Take time.It is usually moving forwar. But now i have labeled time as a noun which means i now can and must give it adjectives, traits, characteristics. So let's call time a line which can be curved. That however creates time as a line which wont work so lets call it a plane. Now you put a hole in a plane that's not a hole but an extension going downward, but that downward is not going down as we reference down to be but instead back which can't be.
Make no sense? That's because it is not possible, we can't possibly describe something without words to it, which we can't create without reference words. This means we can't think further than what we understand exactly at this moment, we can only merely fluctuate what we already know.
And yes I may be insane.

No not insane at ALL! You're SPOT ON, in fact.

Words are magic.

Until you have a word to describe a thing (event, place, emotion etc) it doesn't exist.

Your mind really cannot get hold of something until you have a word for it.

The perversion of word meanings is the most effective tool of propagandists!

I highly advise you to read Orwell's thoughts on that subject.

Politics and the English Language

Last edited:
Life should be experienced, but it does not always have to be expressed. At least not right away.

For me, I find that "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!" works when all oher words fail.

May God bless.

And yes I may be insane.
Define 'down'. 'Down' is a given direction on what axis?

Let's start at the beginning. How many dimensions are we working with?

And yes I may be insane.

People don't think in words, they think in concepts. Ever carve a stick or build a model or paint a picture or spin a slug of clay on a pottery wheel? You didn't have to put it into words. Only crazy people suggest we have to describe everything in words. I prefer curse words sometimes to get machines to work but that's just me.

Forum List

Back