LA Sued for Impounding Cars of Unlicensed Illegal Aliens

I'm with Edward on this one. I don't want our country instituting dragnets on drivers. That's an unwanted step towards becoming a police state.

Plus this practice is just another ineffective approach for fixing the problem. Problems should should be dealt with and solved at their source, not with haphazard methods like police roadblocks for everyday drivers (I'm fine with them being at the borders). Illegals come here for work and for government handouts. People who hire illegals should be punished with fines and jail time. That will dry up the jobs. Government should not issue benefits to non-citizens. That will dry up the free bennies. And our borders should be guarded well. That will dry up the incoming. Those are the simple answers to the illegals problem and how it should be done…NOT by harassing innocent citizens innocently driving the roads.

Today I am harassed for my ID every time I make a transaction because of criminals who commit fraud. What's next, an imbedded chip to prove you are who you say your are? Then there are the dragnets for catching drinkers driving the roads. Why should innocent people be treated like suspects and suffer because some people are bad? Why should our world be turned upside down and defined by the criminals? Instead I'd rather see crime disappear by making the criminals disappear. Harsher punishment instead of the revolving door policy we now have in our jails would go a long way to reduce crime in our society...something that liberals don't seem to want.

How do they find that out? You don't have your license on you therefore there is no way for them to know who you are.

You mean you've never been pulled over for anything...ever? You're belief is that the only way a police officer can find out who you are at the scene is with your drivers license? Get up on the times man. You know those little walkie talkis they have on their shuolders? Those are actually connected to something called central dispatch. From there they can take your name and find out if you are licensed. If you give a false name they will use your license plate and see if the car is licensed to you.

An illegal could just as easily say that they are their wife's brother or their cousin who is legal. So how do you propose that it will only take minutes for the police to find out?

See above. You are naive to think that little plastic card is the only way a cop can figure out who you are and quickly.

Is Citizen Caine free to go or is his person detained against his will by the police officer.

So now people can only be arrested if they tell the officer it's okay for you to arrest me? And even then you leaving your license home for whatever stupid reason is not the officers problem. You can tell him your name and he can match it up with your license plate. Or hell he could even profile you. If you're not Hispanic is probably isn't gonna give you much trouble.

What if someone simply refuses to wait at the roadblock or to identify themselves?

I would say you need a better road block.

Will they be arrested (i.e., kidnapped by the Kings Guards) if they do not?

Yes ever law enforcement officer in this country is a Bush subserviant. Given that you now exhibited susupicious behavior by ignoring a road block I would say they have ever right to detain you.

We have seen how people react when they are placed in these kinds of situations and we have seen high speed chases result from this kind of situation and the only thing the person did was make a choice which resulted in the deaths of a lot of innocent people.

Where did I see such a headline again? You haven't see anything you claim to have seen. Yeah I hear about people running roadblocks and killing people all the time on the news. Get real. So your argument because of how people react we should do what? Nothing?

Possibly because they were libertarians or people who do not believe that they have to undergo such abuse at the hands of law enforcement.

What exactley is abusive about it. And i think you mean liberal which is people that feel they should never have to undergo any inconviences in life ever.

It is true that roadblocks are used to catch criminals and that is why police can check a vehicle to see if someone in that vehicle matches a description but it is always inappropriate to demand that someone provide you with identification and then to impound their car or to arrest them for failure to do so. Of course, I am sure that SS Officer Bern of the Nazi Party wouldn't agree with that and thinks that he and other members of his faction have the right to violate the rights of others. We can talk about discretion and we can even talk about fining someone who is driving without a license but when it comes down to it the Constitution protects our rights against idiots like you who would like to pass laws that infringe on our rights. :eusa_boohoo:

Illegals don't have rights in our country for one thing. Secondly you again misintrepeted what they're doing. Attempt to think logically for a second will ya? The goal is to catch illegal aliens. And hell let's not be PC about the goal is to catch illegal hispanics. So if you're not hispanic you most likely won't even be stopped. If your are stopped and what you say is true (they're impounding cars of people without drivers licenses on them) You will be one of the 99.99% of people that remebered to bring their license in their car with them. You show em the license and you move on which takes all of 5 minutes of your time. If you're part of the .01% of idiots that isn't hispanic and doesn't have a license on them. You are either:

1)not licensed to drive in which case you're gonna be arrested anyway,
2)you forgot it in which case they will find out if the care is licensed to you which they can also match to residence which you wound;t have if you were an illegal. May take a little longer but again it's not the cops fault your were moron and forgot your license.

Forum List

Back