Knowledge evolves

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
We are familiar with History we can relate to. What about what we can't possibly fathom?

Stardust from seven billion years ago found on Earth is ‘oldest ever and older than the sun'

The researchers learned that some of the presolar grains in their sample were the oldest ever discovered on Earth.

Based on how many cosmic rays they had soaked up, most of the grains had to be 4.6 to 4.9 billion years old, and some grains were older than 5.5 billion years.

But the age of the presolar grains was not the end of the discovery.

As presolar grains are formed when a star dies, they reveal the star's history.

I don't know about y'all, but, billions of years is hard for me to wrap my head around.

This sheds a different light on everything, no pun intended.

We are familiar with History we can relate to. What about what we can't possibly fathom?

Stardust from seven billion years ago found on Earth is ‘oldest ever and older than the sun'

The researchers learned that some of the presolar grains in their sample were the oldest ever discovered on Earth.

Based on how many cosmic rays they had soaked up, most of the grains had to be 4.6 to 4.9 billion years old, and some grains were older than 5.5 billion years.

I don't know about y'all, but, billions of years is hard for me to wrap my head around.

I heard about this on NPR radio the other night. When stars die. The people who put their head down and find these things is amazing.

We are stardust
We are golden
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

Joni

Do you listen to Science Friday on NPR radio? I rarely miss it.

• Banned
Do you listen to Science Friday on NPR radio? I rarely miss it.
No sir- I did ever once in a while when I did over the road trucking. The only time I listen to any radio now is when I'm in someone else's vehicle. I enjoy the solitude of road noise- LOL

I read a book about Neanderthal DNA a while back and I was struck with the fact that the in-fighting in the academic community trumped academic honesty. Evidence doesn't matter in this junk science, it's who can post a paper first.

Forum List

Back