Know Your President

But yeah, imagine being a teacher yourself. You are one of two or three fifth grade teachers. A third of your kids get held back but only one in each of the other two classes of fifth graders. You will look like the bad guy and have to defend yourself to parents and administrators to keep your not so great paying job.

Not that the good teachers should not, but my expectations aren't that everyone will want to be a hero.

At one time schools could fail students that did not perform to certain standards.
At one time schools could suggest that students drop school if they did not meet certain standards.
At one time colleges and universities were not expected to teach trades.
At one time the goal of a university degree was not to teach for a job but for a profession.
At one time the wealthy attended the university with the goal of becoming ladies and gentlemen.
At one time colleges and universities taught Latin.

I think the first step is actually failing kids in the lower grades and you may as well take that on to college as well.

To use an adult view, if folks know they can ride the welfare system they will. Teenagers are no different.

I also think a disinterested third party needs to administer the tests.

Cirriculum I have fewer answers for. My schools had acceptable cirriculum. Just it was too easy to pass.

The changes in the last couple decades seem odd to me. Then again the kids I speak with seem ok. But face it, if I am bothering to talk with a 12 year old family member it is the mature one, not the idiot cousin's kids who are somehow in the same grade.

Darn diploma factory private high school and state college I attended. (the local public hs was the same)

I've been lucky to go to some pretty good schools....but a very large part of my education has been outside of, and after, formal schooling.

I study every day.

How about you?

My school experience was mixed. My private grade school and highschool had positives and negatives. The public HS I finished at was an EXCELLENT school if you kept your nose on track. All could be rode through easily though.

Community college was similar. Some of my best computer courses were there. Some good history, theology and science classes. Then some gimmie an "A" for showing up literature types courses. Oh, the newspaper department was actually pretty darned fine.

The four year college was a pay for diploma event. Very disappointing. Decent math department though. I had to attend and study to pass a couple courses. I can't remember anything else besides spanish again that frustrated me or felt like I was better after taking.

I am all over the place now. Sometimes working for a SMALL business has me dabling in everything from box truck repair to web design. An ugh, all the dealing with point of sale systems. I was almost happier with Excel and Macros lol.

Some weeks I do the studying on almost random topics, others I decide its time to fool with model trains or the horticulture stuff. But now back to licensing the hot rod!

I am all over the place now. Sometimes working for a SMALL business has me dabling in everything from box truck repair to web design. An ugh, all the dealing with point of sale systems. I was almost happier with Excel and Macros lol.

Some weeks I do the studying on almost random topics, others I decide its time to fool with model trains or the horticulture stuff. But now back to licensing the hot rod!

"Some weeks I do the studying on almost random topics,..."

The same.

Mostly politics and economics, with historical fiction as my guilty pleasure.

It would be a mistake to believe that what is projected in our universities leaves no footprint on the political landscape. A grave mistake. Postmodernism has taken hold in both venues.

1. Graduate students in English who once would have learned to perform "close readings' of literary texts, which enhanced their understanding of the way in which a skillful use of language and structure creates an aesthetic effect, now learned absolutely nothing of such matters. Mark Bauerlein, English professor at Emory, writes that the postmodern humanities is nothing more than "catechism learning," a set of axioms to be assimilated: no in-depth research or critical thinking needed- just keep slinging rhetoric.

2. The roots of postmodernism can be traced to the anthropologist Franz Boas, who, in an effort to study exotic cultures without prejudice, found it useful to take the position that no culture is superior to any other. Thus was born the idea of cultural relativity.

3. The idea spread like wildfire through the universities, catapulted by the radical impetus of the sixties. ready and willing to reject "the universality of Western norms and principles." Bawer, "The Victim's Revolution"

4. This postmodernism is based on the conviction that "we live in a world without reliable truths or transcendent possibilities, without epiphanies, without absolute values, without teleology and without durable meanings."
David Solway.

a. What makes this view so very decadent and dangerous is that it forces us to reject the universality of such values as individual liberty, and to believe that "there are no barbarians, only different forms of civilized man."

b. "A distinguishing characteristic of Liberals and Leftists is an aversion to recognizing or acknowledging evil and its permutations, i.e., communism. On another level, it explains the Left’s dislike for capitalism, a system which produces winners and losers, a painful fact that the Left would rather not see."
Dennis Prager.

c. "Remember, for Progressives, postmodern relativism is the glue that binds all of their myths."
Berezow and Campbell, "Science Left Behind."

5. Compare post-modernism to classical liberalism, the optimistic doctrine that gave us liberty, democracy, progress, was a moral project. It held that human society could always better itself by encouraging the good and diminishing the bad. It rested, therefore, on a very clear understanding that there was a higher cause than self-realization: that there were such things as right and wrong and that the former should be preferred over the latter. But the belief that autonomous individuals had the right to make subjective judgment about what was right for them in pursuit of their unchallengeable entitlement to happiness destroyed that understanding. Progressives interpreted liberty as license, thus destroying the moral rules that make freedom a virtue.
Phillips, "The World Turned Upside Down," ch 14.

6.Postmodernism affirms that whatever we accept as truth and even the way we envision truth are dependent on the community in which we participate . . . There is no absolute truth: rather truth is relative to the community in which we participate.
Grenz, S. J., "A Primer on Postmodernism", p. 8.

7. President Obama often speaks this postmodern language. For example, here is part of a discussion of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence in his book, The Audacity of Hope:

“Implicit in [the Constitution's] structure, in the very idea of ordered liberty, was a rejection of absolute truth, the infallibility of any idea or ideology or theology or “ism,” any tyrannical consistency that might lock future generations into a single, unalterable course, or drive both majorities and minorities into the cruelties [notice cruelty: he's against it] of the Inquisition, the pogrom, the gulag, or the jihad.” Obama's point here is that absolute truth and ordered liberty are incompatible, because absolute truth turns its believers into fanatics or moral monsters.

a. " He is a conviction politician determined to complete the progressive project of emancipating government from the Founders’ constraining premises, a project Woodrow Wilson embarked on 100 Novembers ago." Obama: the real radical - Washington Post

8.' The second new element in President Obama's liberalism is even more striking than its postmodernism. It is how uncomfortable he is with American exceptionalism—and thus with America itself. President Obama considers this country deeply flawed from its very beginnings. He means not simply that slavery and other kinds of fundamental injustice existed, which everyone would admit. He means that the Declaration of Independence, when it said that all men are created equal, did not mean to include blacks or anyone else who is not a property-holding, white, European male—an argument put forward infamously by Chief Justice Roger Taney in the Dred Scott decision, and one that was powerfully refuted by Abraham Lincoln.'

a. Unlike most Americans, President Obama still bristles at any suggestion that our nation is better or even luckier than other nations. To be blunt, he despises the notion that Americans consider themselves special among the peoples of the world. This strikes him as the worst sort of ignorance and ethnocentrism...' https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2010&month=0

With an education system such as this, one that turns out voters and a President such as we have....
...what future is there for America?

We must take back the nation, beginning with the education system.

Wow, there are so many problems with that, I don't know where to begin.

That is an example of taking a shred of truth and building a entire case for insanity from it.

Quick question. If our schools have fallen so low, then why do we still see millions flocking to them from all over the globe? It's an absurd premise.

It would be a mistake to believe that what is projected in our universities leaves no footprint on the political landscape. A grave mistake. Postmodernism has taken hold in both venues.

1. Graduate students in English who once would have learned to perform "close readings' of literary texts, which enhanced their understanding of the way in which a skillful use of language and structure creates an aesthetic effect, now learned absolutely nothing of such matters. Mark Bauerlein, English professor at Emory, writes that the postmodern humanities is nothing more than "catechism learning," a set of axioms to be assimilated: no in-depth research or critical thinking needed- just keep slinging rhetoric.

2. The roots of postmodernism can be traced to the anthropologist Franz Boas, who, in an effort to study exotic cultures without prejudice, found it useful to take the position that no culture is superior to any other. Thus was born the idea of cultural relativity.

3. The idea spread like wildfire through the universities, catapulted by the radical impetus of the sixties. ready and willing to reject "the universality of Western norms and principles." Bawer, "The Victim's Revolution"

4. This postmodernism is based on the conviction that "we live in a world without reliable truths or transcendent possibilities, without epiphanies, without absolute values, without teleology and without durable meanings."
David Solway.

a. What makes this view so very decadent and dangerous is that it forces us to reject the universality of such values as individual liberty, and to believe that "there are no barbarians, only different forms of civilized man."

b. "A distinguishing characteristic of Liberals and Leftists is an aversion to recognizing or acknowledging evil and its permutations, i.e., communism. On another level, it explains the Left’s dislike for capitalism, a system which produces winners and losers, a painful fact that the Left would rather not see."
Dennis Prager.

c. "Remember, for Progressives, postmodern relativism is the glue that binds all of their myths."

5. Compare post-modernism to classical liberalism, the optimistic doctrine that gave us liberty, democracy, progress, was a moral project. It held that human society could always better itself by encouraging the good and diminishing the bad. It rested, therefore, on a very clear understanding that there was a higher cause than self-realization: that there were such things as right and wrong and that the former should be preferred over the latter. But the belief that autonomous individuals had the right to make subjective judgment about what was right for them in pursuit of their unchallengeable entitlement to happiness destroyed that understanding. Progressives interpreted liberty as license, thus destroying the moral rules that make freedom a virtue.

6.Postmodernism affirms that whatever we accept as truth and even the way we envision truth are dependent on the community in which we participate . . . There is no absolute truth: rather truth is relative to the community in which we participate.

7. President Obama often speaks this postmodern language. For example, here is part of a discussion of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence in his book, The Audacity of Hope:

“Implicit in [the Constitution's] structure, in the very idea of ordered liberty, was a rejection of absolute truth, the infallibility of any idea or ideology or theology or “ism,” any tyrannical consistency that might lock future generations into a single, unalterable course, or drive both majorities and minorities into the cruelties [notice cruelty: he's against it] of the Inquisition, the pogrom, the gulag, or the jihad.” Obama's point here is that absolute truth and ordered liberty are incompatible, because absolute truth turns its believers into fanatics or moral monsters.

a. " He is a conviction politician determined to complete the progressive project of emancipating government from the Founders’ constraining premises, a project Woodrow Wilson embarked on 100 Novembers ago." Obama: the real radical - Washington Post

8.' The second new element in President Obama's liberalism is even more striking than its postmodernism. It is how uncomfortable he is with American exceptionalism—and thus with America itself. President Obama considers this country deeply flawed from its very beginnings. He means not simply that slavery and other kinds of fundamental injustice existed, which everyone would admit. He means that the Declaration of Independence, when it said that all men are created equal, did not mean to include blacks or anyone else who is not a property-holding, white, European male—an argument put forward infamously by Chief Justice Roger Taney in the Dred Scott decision, and one that was powerfully refuted by Abraham Lincoln.'

a. Unlike most Americans, President Obama still bristles at any suggestion that our nation is better or even luckier than other nations. To be blunt, he despises the notion that Americans consider themselves special among the peoples of the world. This strikes him as the worst sort of ignorance and ethnocentrism...' https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2010&month=0

With an education system such as this, one that turns out voters and a President such as we have....

That is an example of taking a shred of truth and building a entire case for insanity from it.

Quick question. If our schools have fallen so low, then why do we still see millions flocking to them from all over the globe? It's an absurd premise.

Lots of folks 'flock' to fast food, too.

I hope you have this motto over your door:
"I don't know where to begin."

Of course, the entire OP must be true....

....or you would be posting specifics from same that you can rebut.

There's another truth for ya'.

you conservatives need to work on your critical thinking skills. I questioned everything that was presented to me whilst in university.

you conservatives need to work on your critical thinking skills. I questioned everything that was presented to me whilst in university.

You must have lots of interesting tales of disputes at the Robert Fiance Institute of Hair Design"!

Curls vs. waves???

Tint vs. tips???

Do share, especially the ones that practically led to pulling weaves!

They haven't taught American history in public school in half a century. What kids get is a conglomeration of junk they call "social studies". Most kids have no concept of the Bill of Rights or the Constitution.

Worse.

Did you see this:

"D.C. public schools may drop U.S. government requirement
In the you-can’t-make-up-this-stuff category: The public school system in the nation’s capital may let high school students graduate without taking a high-school-level course in how their country’s government works.
The D.C. State Board of Education is proposing changes to graduation requirements from the system that would actually get rid of the current requirement that students take a U.S. government class,..."
D.C. public schools may drop U.S. government requirement

When will people realize that the educrats who decide and write the curricula are the fifth column.....either by error or by intent...they are out to destroy this nation.

Here is some American history for you, from one of your heros

"I hate the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live.":eek:
John McCain
San Francisco Chronicle (18 February 2000)

They haven't taught American history in public school in half a century. What kids get is a conglomeration of junk they call "social studies". Most kids have no concept of the Bill of Rights or the Constitution.

Worse.

Did you see this:

In the you-can’t-make-up-this-stuff category: The public school system in the nation’s capital may let high school students graduate without taking a high-school-level course in how their country’s government works.
The D.C. State Board of Education is proposing changes to graduation requirements from the system that would actually get rid of the current requirement that students take a U.S. government class,..."

When will people realize that the educrats who decide and write the curricula are the fifth column.....either by error or by intent...they are out to destroy this nation.

John McCain

1. Now, Porky...you know that you're my hero.

2. What makes you 'think' that McCain is a hero of mine?

3.What makes you 'think' that your post is in any way responsive to the post to which you're, ostensibly, replying?

4. Is today you day out of the 'nervous hospital'?

David Solway.

Dennis Prager.

Lots of folks 'flock' to fast food, too.

I hope you have this motto over your door:
"I don't know where to begin."

Of course, the entire OP must be true....

....or you would be posting specifics from same that you can rebut.

There's another truth for ya'.

Right.

A few more questions for you to ignore.

Any evidence that the president actually was taught those things?

How about any evidence that he follows those tenets?

How about any evidence that this story, or any important part of this story, is true?

Is this stuff you came up with, or are you simply regurgitating this insanity from right wing blogs?

Here is the problem. This is a post about concepts taught in school. I have no doubt they are, as pretty much every concept is taught in school somewhere. But from there, it is all a bunch of speculation and assumption based upon... nothing.

Wonder if polichic got turned down for her 1st &/or 2nd choice of schools & holds a grudge against our President for getting accepted/attending Harvard Law :afro: I hear the Libral Indoctrination Centers (con-speak for - university) on the Left coast are overrun w/asians.

Worse.

Did you see this:

John McCain

As much as his VP choice was questionable I cut McCain some slack. The whole POW Vietnam experience could shaoe a man. Heck, after reading about WWII I sometimes think we shoukd have dropped the bomb on Berlin in August of 45 and I wasn't even there.

Wonder if polichic got turned down for her 1st &/or 2nd choice of schools & holds a grudge against our President for getting accepted/attending Harvard Law :afro: I hear the Libral Indoctrination Centers (con-speak for - university) on the Left coast are overrun w/asians.

A bunch of the lights out on that marquee.

Having you explain my motivations is like having Dr Kevorkian teaching the Heimlich Maneuver.

Do you actually imagine that your motivation is difficult to decipher when you resort to ad hominem and imaginary presumptions?

It lets me know the victory I've achieved: I've skewered both your most closely held beliefs, and correctly identified your leader.

So....which hurt more?

a. The charge that Obama isn't as patriotic as many Americans are...

or..

b. Showing that he believes that truth is relative?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back