Knives. best Hunting knife

South of 90 Mile beach?
whirinaki-16_0-1.jpg

More central North Island...I suppose that is south of Ninety Mile Beach.

Whirinaki Track

I've done the Luna and Heaphy Tracks, but not that one.

I've done the Luna and Heaphy Tracks, but not that one.
I've only used it to get into huts/areas for a hunt.

Actually, I think that's all I've ever used tracks for.

I've hunted Sika up in that area. I have a good friend who lives in Russell and we've hunted up in that region, and on the Coromandel.

There is fantastic trout fishing on the Luna track.

It's funny reading here various people putting down other people's knives as if there was only one kind of hunting or only one kind of need. Truth is that whatever works best for you is the best knife out there. Some of the knives shown here are maybe better fighting knives or survival knives, my Frost knife is definitely in the former category and the Luftwaffe gravity knife also really a survival knife, so I'll pull one more out I've had a very long time that was originally made for Navy Seals to use in their underwater demolition training, so it is also really more of a general purpose survivalist knife than a purest hunting knife, but it works fine as a hunting knife and I love it as there is nothing it does badly and does most everything pretty well. Best of all, when I first spotted it back in the 1980s, the retailer said they loved it because it was the only knife they could put in a vise and NOT be able to break the blade! :SMILEW~130:

It's the original SRK Cold Steel Carbon V with 6" blade and Kraton handle. Basically, the knife is indestructible. It is made of Carbon V steel, discontinued in 1988 when it's parent foundry Sharon Steel went bankrupt. Before that, it was a very popular NCV steel that doesn't corrode when abused and holds a very nice edge without chipping. I just found a very nice condition used one just like it on eBay for $175. I guess now it is considered vintage.

The original SRK Cold Steel was made in the USA, now they make them in Japan. A lovely feature of the knife is that it is all black and nothing reflects light except the sharpened edge and the handle absorbs shock very well. The blade is 5mm thick at the shank! The original sheath is made of some kind of ballistic nylon or something and all black as well and very tough. I've resolved that come Spring now, I'm going to go over this knife very carefully and totally clean it up and restore it to like new condition. It deserves it, I've punished this thing for well over 35 years and it is finally owed some respect.

P2190671.JPG

P2190674.JPG

I like stiletos too, but I find them too delicate for any serious chores.

Many are too fragile even if less than serious chores, (some of the other Ital makers I won't mention) Lever locks are much more durable than the stilettos. Like the one I carry and cuts string, packages open general pocket knife chores. Buddy designed it and had parts made. I have maybe 8 sets left to turn into knives.

Top one the leverletto, middle a Case Doctors knife I file worked (only carbon steel Dr knife they made) put gold lip MOP on and a Case Whittler. Like wharncliff blades for many chores.

0erOB9G.jpg

vVqXgsM.jpg

KA5v8jq.jpg

I carried one as a pocket knife for years until a firearm instructor in Tennessee, who was also a sheriff's deputy, told me it was illegal. He pointed out that it would suck to have a carry permit for your pistol and STILL get arrested because of the pocket knife you carried.
And I saw a folder close on a guys fingers when the lock failed. So I switched to fixed blades.

Even though KY has constitutional carry now I keep up my permit, "CWP" here, concealed weapon carry. Carry switchers, chucks, stars, anything.

I carried one as a pocket knife for years until a firearm instructor in Tennessee, who was also a sheriff's deputy, told me it was illegal. He pointed out that it would suck to have a carry permit for your pistol and STILL get arrested because of the pocket knife you carried.
And I saw a folder close on a guys fingers when the lock failed. So I switched to fixed blades.

Even though KY has constitutional carry now I keep up my permit, "CWP" here, concealed weapon carry. Carry switchers, chucks, stars, anything.
I'm pretty sure they're legal down here in Texas now, but I haven't bothered to check, honestly.

I'm pretty sure they're legal down here in Texas now, but I haven't bothered to check, honestly.

I always carry switches, knives and handguns regardless, every single state, even NYC. Fuk them.

You get caught in a state like NY, Maryland, NJ, etc., out of state w/o a carry permit for there and you won't be saying fuk 'em, you'll be begging for a lawyer and a phone call from inside a prison there.

I always carry switches, knives and handguns regardless, every single state, even NYC. Fuk them.

You get caught in a state like NY, Maryland, NJ, etc., out of state w/o a carry permit for there and you won't be saying fuk 'em, you'll be begging for a lawyer and a phone call from inside a prison there.
That's true but it's also a completely fucked up state of affairs.

Besides, you can do everything to the letter of the law and still end up in a cell if something happens..... anyone who doesn't have a plan for that is naive.

Besides, you can do everything to the letter of the law and still end up in a cell if something happens..... anyone who doesn't have a plan for that is naive.
Or doesn't live in the greatest country in the world.

My “big” knife is a Buck Folding Hunter I bought at the PX in 1971. I carry a Spyderco Flea for everyday use, big and sharp enough to be useful, small enough to be handy. If you live in the city, you don’t need a big knife for most things. I’ve looked at gorgeous hand made knives, but I just can’t justify the expense for something that’s just going to bang around in my pocket with change and car keys. I want something good, solid and simple for daily use; not a work of art.

For "bigger knife" people here are 2 I was commissioned to make. First one was for a old timer fought with Patton for his son in law.
Jewelry dagger (hor's de houvre" stabber, damascus, mastodon ivory, brass and nickle silver sheath which retains it. Last is a hunter, O1 steel, stabilized Nordic birch.

For "bigger knife" people here are 2 I was commissioned to make. First one was for a old timer fought with Patton for his son in law.
Jewelry dagger (hor's de houvre" stabber, damascus, mastodon ivory, brass and nickle silver sheath which retains it. Last is a hunter, O1 steel, stabilized Nordic birch.
I'm currently re-reading "With a Vengeance" by Marcus Wynne. You should check it out; great thriller novel with a lot about knives in the story.

Forum List

Back