Kingdom of Heaven, Anyone?

Hobbit said:
Yeah, the Templars were good guys. They were devoted to the cause, helped others, and invented the modern banking system. When they got too powerful, the Inquisition made up some fake sodomy charges and killed them all.

I'll watch the movie, and try to keep an open mind. I know both sides did some pretty bad things, like the massacre in Jerusalem. However, if I detect slant, I'll be a little irritated, as it's just like Hollywood to take *another* swing at Christians.

well, in fact it's the King of France Philippe IV Le Bel who made a process against the Temple to get their money and break their influence. It's why Jacques de Molay, the Great Master, plus some others, were condamned to be burned in a public execution in Paris in 1314, after a seven-years process. The 3 responsables died in the year : Philippe le Bel, the pope Clement, and Guillaume de Nogaret, King's jurist. (read the "Cursed Kings", by Maurice Druon ;) )

Anyway, in this movie, they show Templars as bastards, they weren't during the crusades. And the two bads in the movies, Renaud de Châtillon and Guy de Lusignan, weren't Templars.

i didn't take the movie as a bash against Christian. only the men who want war were depicted as bads. The King of Jerusalem, Baudoin IV d'Anjou, or Tiberias, are the goods. (with also d'Ibelin and Baliant)

Forum List

Back