Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
No it isn't out yet, but that doesn't mean you can't virtually see the whole movie-just in photos. Courtesy of www.mugglenet.com , you can view about 100+ photos of the set, movie stills, etc. But, they are not showing ANY photos of the risen-again Voldemort.

Got pre-teen girls? There are several photo shots of Harry in the Prefect bathtub scene-with bubbles just up to his abs...I can hear the scree-ing from in my den...

To see the photos, they have them posted in several installments, so you may have to go into 'archives' to see ones that were posted in the last 2 weeks.

Just seeing the photos of the different tasks makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

It was a good movie. i havent read the books so im not sure how much it follows it but i thought it was good.

fuzzykitten99 said:
No it isn't out yet, but that doesn't mean you can't virtually see the whole movie-just in photos. Courtesy of www.mugglenet.com , you can view about 100+ photos of the set, movie stills, etc. But, they are not showing ANY photos of the risen-again Voldemort.

Got pre-teen girls? There are several photo shots of Harry in the Prefect bathtub scene-with bubbles just up to his abs...I can hear the scree-ing from in my den...

To see the photos, they have them posted in several installments, so you may have to go into 'archives' to see ones that were posted in the last 2 weeks.

Just seeing the photos of the different tasks makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I've never been able to connect with the movies the way others have. What is it about Harry Potter that you love so much?

The ClayTaurus said:
I've never been able to connect with the movies the way others have. What is it about Harry Potter that you love so much?
Its not Harry himself. Its the writing and the whole created world that Jo has made. Nearly all the creatures, people, settings, words, etc, were her own imagination, with the exception of a few being based on real persons or mythical creatures in other literature. Not to mention the HUGE mystery puzzle that she has created, with everyone of all ages trying to analyze the books, to see what will happen in the final book. These aren't just tales, they are one long mystery, that spans over 7 years of Harry's life, but some events in the books date back several decades.

I don't think any writer has made me feel the range of emotions that Jo has in her books. I don't know of any other novel that had me pissed off 75% of the time while reading it, as #5 did. Nor have they made me laugh in much the same manner. Jo's humor is subtle, but great timing and very funny no matter how many times I read it.

This is how creative Jo is, and how she makes you think twice about everything you are reading. Jo is big on anagrams. She does this with names mostly. I have learned more about greek mythology, and Latin, and history, than any of my days in school. For example, I got the following from www.mugglenet.com:

Some words or phrases from the Harry Potter series are (or at least, are thought to be) anagrams of other things that hide clues as to what is going to happen. Read on to find out more.

Note: Many of these anagrams are probably only coincidental, but they are fun to spot all the same! Yes, we're probably guilty of overanalyzing, but we're making sure we keep all possibilities open.

Harry James Potter is an anagram of "Major Threat Persy"
Yes, Percy is really spelled with a 'c', but this could be much like the "Severus Snape/Pursues Evans" anagram. Interesting, interesting...

Ollivanders is an anagram of Ronald Lives or Ronald's Evil
This could hold several meanings. I think it's safe to assume that Ronald is Ron, and so it may mean that Ron will not die throughout the seven books. However, it may also have been a clue for Book 5. When Mrs. Weasley tackled the boggart and Ron is sprawled across the carpet, some of us thought he was actually dead. This anagram may have told us three books before that he wasn't really dead in this instance. It may also tell us that if Ron does appear to die in future books, it will not be true. As for the second possibility, I think it's just a coincidence.

Ollivander is an anagram of An Evil Lord
This could mean that Mr Ollivander is not someone to be trusted or is on the side of Voldemort.

Severus Snape is an anagram of "Perseus Evans" or "Persues Evans"

The first anagram, Perseus Evans, could mean several things. Perseus was a character in myth that, to put it briefly, went on a courageous quest and ended up killing the God Poseidon to save the princess (Lily?). Also, the character Medusa is linked with the legend of Perseus. Anyone who looked directly at Medusa was turned to stone. Can you say "Basilisk"? Perseus also married Andromeda, who, as we learn in Book 5, is the name of Tonks' mother. Naturally, the Evans part could mean either he is related to Lily or had a relationship with her.
The second anagram, Persues Evans, could mean that Snape went after Lily, either to kill her or to have a relationship with her. The word is spelled "pursues" but this could be a deliberate misspelling.

Tom Marvolo Riddle is an anagram of "I am Lord Voldemort"
Obviously, this one has already been shown to be important, but it just goes to show that a lot of information can be held in anagrams.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is an anagram of "Treachery rests on Transported Hero"
I'm almost positive this is coincidental, but it's interesting anyway!

Dolores Jane Umbridge is an anagram of "Dumbledore goes in jar"
Dumbledore means bumblebee in Old English. Rita Skeeter was a beetle and ended up in a jar. Perhaps there is a link between Dumbledore and Rita?

Remus Lupin is an anagram of Primus Lune
Primus comes from the Latin word meaning first, or beginning, or perhaps full. Lune is from the French for moon. Lupin turns into a werewolf when there is a full moon. Coincidence?

Hogwarts is an anagram of Ghost War
A battle between the ghosts of Hogwarts a long time ago? Either that or perhaps it is meant figuratively, where the war will not be seen by the teachers or students.

Drooble's Best Blowing Gum is an anagram of "Gold bribe below St. Mungos"
Very interesting... In Book 5, Neville's Mum gives him a gum wrapper. Is she passing on an important message?

The books allow me to escape reality for a while, if what I am doing or where I am, is dull. I have all 6 books on CD, so I listen to them while working. Many people wonder how I can listen to someone reading, and concentrate at work at the same time. I can't explain how, but I just do. They help pass the time away, and I don't get sick of listening to it, like I do music, because music puts me to sleep. The CD's are great for long car rides, making a 4 hour trip feel like only an hour.

I recommend buying Wizarding World Press' The Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter' by Galadriel Waters. It comes in 2 books so far, #1 is HP books 1-4, and the 2nd is book 5 alone, and they don't have one for book 6 out yet. These books go through each paragraph, deciphering what is said and what is done, in order to try to figure out what could happen next.

p.s. I did see the GoF on friday, but I haven't had time to post a review. Will try to do this week.

For me the books are just fun. Much like the Lord of the Rings, which was written for a more adult audience, there are secrets hidden within the text that give more than just foreshadowing in the writing. The characters are fun, and the dialogue well-written and not quite as repetitive as say Robert Jordan's in the Wheel of Time series.

I took the kids to see the movie this Fri.

It was pretty good, but as usual, not as good as the book. I always encourage my kids to read the book before seeing the movie since it explaines things that the movie can't help but leave out. I'd encourage other Potter fans to see it though, lots of action.

I have never seen a movie that was better than the book. This movie was no exception. The book was just too huge to be able to catch all the details on film. But it was still pretty good. The part where the boys are starting to notice girls/want a date for the Yule Ball was hilarious. Good action, great visual effects. I think it stayed true to the book as much as it could.

mom4 said:
I have never seen a movie that was better than the book. This movie was no exception. The book was just too huge to be able to catch all the details on film. But it was still pretty good. The part where the boys are starting to notice girls/want a date for the Yule Ball was hilarious. Good action, great visual effects. I think it stayed true to the book as much as it could.

The Princess Bride is the exception that proves the rule. I mean, just adding Peter Falk made that movie better.

Hobbit said:
The Princess Bride is the exception that proves the rule. I mean, just adding Peter Falk made that movie better.
Never read that book, but loved the movie.

I just cant get into Harry Potter. Never read the books. Only watched the first movie. It was pretty decent. Nothing astounding.

Lord of the Rings is more up my alley. I like my fantasy stories complete fantasy and not a mix with modern times.

insein said:
I just cant get into Harry Potter. Never read the books. Only watched the first movie. It was pretty decent. Nothing astounding.

Lord of the Rings is more up my alley. I like my fantasy stories complete fantasy and not a mix with modern times.

Same for me (see, we can agree ;) )

I prefer really LOTR, movies, and of course, the books.

But Harry Potter is quite nice too. Sometimes to much "nice, pretty", like a pink jelly. But this 4th episode is darker, and it's a good thing. the atmosphere involve wioth the characters.

I had one problem with the LOTR films. Not that they were not good films (I loved them as films) but it pissed me off when I would hear people hammer the books and say shit like "I am not even going to finish the book, I can just go see the movies."

The movies were great, the books were better.

deaddude said:
I had one problem with the LOTR films. Not that they were not good films (I loved them as films) but it pissed me off when I would hear people hammer the books and say shit like "I am not even going to finish the book, I can just go see the movies."

We made our daughter finish LOTR before each corresponding movie came out. It's so much better to let your mind imagine the characters. Once you see the movie, the director's vision becomes yours. Plus- the books were just awesome.

deaddude said:

i agree too, I prefer the books.
But the movies were quite faithful with the Tolkien's spirit (even if there are some bugs : Arwen instead of Glorfindel, Elves at Helm....).

But comparing to the Dune's adaptation in movie, LOTR is fantastic. (Dune of Lynch sucks comparing to the books)

im more of a movie person anyway. I dont read books unless its a topic i enjoy. In fact the only series of books ive read faithfully is Star Wars, books based on a movie.

I never got into LOTR before the movies. Ive seen the whole elves, wizards and warriors play out in countless D&D games before and Everquest, but when the moviescame out, it gave a whole new light to me. I dont think i could read the books after seeing the movie. Same reason i couldnt read a book about the Star War movie episodes. I know whats going to happen already. So why read it when i can see it.

Forum List

Back