Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by fuzzykitten99, Oct 15, 2005.

1. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    No it isn't out yet, but that doesn't mean you can't virtually see the whole movie-just in photos. Courtesy of www.mugglenet.com , you can view about 100+ photos of the set, movie stills, etc. But, they are not showing ANY photos of the risen-again Voldemort.

Got pre-teen girls? There are several photo shots of Harry in the Prefect bathtub scene-with bubbles just up to his abs...I can hear the scree-ing from in my den...

To see the photos, they have them posted in several installments, so you may have to go into 'archives' to see ones that were posted in the last 2 weeks.

Just seeing the photos of the different tasks makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    It was a good movie. i havent read the books so im not sure how much it follows it but i thought it was good.

3. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I've never been able to connect with the movies the way others have. What is it about Harry Potter that you love so much?

4. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

Duh. His nipples.

5. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    Its not Harry himself. Its the writing and the whole created world that Jo has made. Nearly all the creatures, people, settings, words, etc, were her own imagination, with the exception of a few being based on real persons or mythical creatures in other literature. Not to mention the HUGE mystery puzzle that she has created, with everyone of all ages trying to analyze the books, to see what will happen in the final book. These aren't just tales, they are one long mystery, that spans over 7 years of Harry's life, but some events in the books date back several decades.

I don't think any writer has made me feel the range of emotions that Jo has in her books. I don't know of any other novel that had me pissed off 75% of the time while reading it, as #5 did. Nor have they made me laugh in much the same manner. Jo's humor is subtle, but great timing and very funny no matter how many times I read it.

This is how creative Jo is, and how she makes you think twice about everything you are reading. Jo is big on anagrams. She does this with names mostly. I have learned more about greek mythology, and Latin, and history, than any of my days in school. For example, I got the following from www.mugglenet.com:

The books allow me to escape reality for a while, if what I am doing or where I am, is dull. I have all 6 books on CD, so I listen to them while working. Many people wonder how I can listen to someone reading, and concentrate at work at the same time. I can't explain how, but I just do. They help pass the time away, and I don't get sick of listening to it, like I do music, because music puts me to sleep. The CD's are great for long car rides, making a 4 hour trip feel like only an hour.

I recommend buying Wizarding World Press' The Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter' by Galadriel Waters. It comes in 2 books so far, #1 is HP books 1-4, and the 2nd is book 5 alone, and they don't have one for book 6 out yet. These books go through each paragraph, deciphering what is said and what is done, in order to try to figure out what could happen next.

p.s. I did see the GoF on friday, but I haven't had time to post a review. Will try to do this week.

6. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    For me the books are just fun. Much like the Lord of the Rings, which was written for a more adult audience, there are secrets hidden within the text that give more than just foreshadowing in the writing. The characters are fun, and the dialogue well-written and not quite as repetitive as say Robert Jordan's in the Wheel of Time series.

7. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I took the kids to see the movie this Fri.

It was pretty good, but as usual, not as good as the book. I always encourage my kids to read the book before seeing the movie since it explaines things that the movie can't help but leave out. I'd encourage other Potter fans to see it though, lots of action.

8. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I have never seen a movie that was better than the book. This movie was no exception. The book was just too huge to be able to catch all the details on film. But it was still pretty good. The part where the boys are starting to notice girls/want a date for the Yule Ball was hilarious. Good action, great visual effects. I think it stayed true to the book as much as it could.

9. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    The Princess Bride is the exception that proves the rule. I mean, just adding Peter Falk made that movie better.

10. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Never read that book, but loved the movie.