Kill the innocent, but not the guilty?

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
Simple question, based on debates in a couple of other threads:

Why are so many libs all for killing unborn babies and the terminally ill, but they can't handle killing armed terrorists and murderers on death row? Put another way, why is killing the innocent right, and killing the guilty, wrong?
Apart from the same old arguments about "choice", etc., it seems that if you are such a pacifist that you abhor war and the death penalty, you would be even more aghast at killing the innocent.

Abbey Normal said:

Why are so many libs all for killing unborn babies and the terminally ill, but they can't handle killing armed terrorists and murderers on death row? Put another way, why is killing the innocent right, and killing the guilty, wrong?
Apart from the same old arguments about "choice", etc., it seems that if you are such a pacifist that you abhor war and the death penalty, you would be even more aghast at killing the innocent.

I'm against the death penalty for murderers on death row because some of them might be innocent and the victims of a biased judicial system or corrupt police. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. It's happened too many times to deny. I also believe in the possibility of redemption, or the reversing of karma or whatever you want to call it. I used to be in favor of the death penalty but after much thought I changed my position.

Abbey Normal said:

I can't speak for the libs, but I believe that a woman should be allowed an abortion within the first trimester for whatever reason, including convenience, but after that she's stuck with it unless her life is in danger.

I believe that under certain circumstances and within boundaries, both ethical and moral, that euthanasia should be a medical service available to patients.

And...the only problem with the death penalty is that it isn't used often or quickly enough. And screw this needle in the arm thing...bring back public hangings, and televise them. Let some of the wannabe gangstas see someone get a knot jerked in their ass and they'll reconsider a life of crime.

Some people totally deserve the death penalty, but for the most part, I second Nuc's post. As for abortion, I never said I liked it and I'm not some blood-sucking demon who condones "the killing of the innocent." I doubt that I would ever ask a girlfriend to get an abortion, but I think that people should have the option. I don't think it's something that should be in control of the state because it's so personal and life-changing.

I can't speak for the libs, but I believe that a woman should be allowed an abortion within the first trimester for whatever reason, including convenience, but after that she's stuck with it unless her life is in danger.

Why? She already made one choice, when she had unprotected sex. If she got pregnant, and didn't want to be, it was a damned irresponsible choice - why should she get a "do-over" just for convenience sake? When the hell did it become the norm for people to stop taking responsibility for thier own actions?

And maybe Missle man is right. Maybe there should be a provision that only allows for first trimester abortions. That would still be fair I think.

Hagbard Celine said:
Uh, have you been living on the moon?

Do you have a valid response to make to my post, or are you just here to fling the occasional insult? If it's the latter, I'm not impressed. There are people here that are far better at it than you are.

Shattered said:
Why? She already made one choice, when she had unprotected sex. If she got pregnant, and didn't want to be, it was a damned irresponsible choice - why should she get a "do-over" just for convenience sake? When the hell did it become the norm for people to stop taking responsibility for thier own actions?

Are you saying the woman alone is responsible? Or to put it another way, what percentage of responsiblity can be divided between the man and the woman when a child is conceived because of not using birth control? Do you see it as equal or leaning towards the woman. Because the argument in favor of abortion is that the woman has a right to do what she wants with her body. The man can't force her either to abort or take it to term, but is still held legally responsible if the child is born.

Nuc said:
Are you saying the woman alone is responsible? Or to put it another way, what percentage of responsiblity can be divided between the man and the woman when a child is conceived because of not using birth control? Do you see it as equal or leaning towards the woman. Because the argument in favor of abortion is that the woman has a right to do what she wants with her body. The man can't force her either to abort or take it to term, but is still held legally responsible if the child is born.

IMO, the woman holds more of the responsibility, because it IS her body. She has the option of both protecting HERSELF, and insisting the guy use protection as well. The guy still holds responsibility as well, since he also has the option of preventing said pregnancy on his own.

Shattered said:
IMO, the woman holds more of the responsibility, because it IS her body. She has the option of both protecting HERSELF, and insisting the guy use protection as well. The guy still holds responsibility as well, since he also has the option of preventing said pregnancy on his own.

I agree with you here.
:beer:

It's awful when a woman tells a man she's on birth control and isn't or a man tells a woman he has a vasectomy and doesn't.

Hagbard Celine said:
If all women just took morning after pills, there wouldn't be any problem! :cheers2: + :kiss2: + :cry: + :chillpill: = :)

You're fucking sick.

Do you have a valid response to make to my post, or are you just here to fling the occasional insult? If it's the latter, I'm not impressed. There are people here that are far better at it than you are.

Pirate%20Nun.jpg

Hagbard Celine said:

Typical left-wing crap-ola. This is a response, I suppose? At what point in time are you going to quit deflecting when you don't have an argument and bow out gracefully?

So far, every debate you have attempted to get into has degenerated into you insulting others, then having the nerve to get insulted when you get it thrown back in your face, and using that as an excuse to bug out of an untenable position.

Stand your ground and quit deflecting or fuck off. Matters little to me which you choose.

I support the death penalty.
I support euthenasia for all living beings.
I support eliminating terrorists.
I do not support abortions for convenience sake.

Nuc said:
I'm against the death penalty for murderers on death row because some of them might be innocent
So the innocent shouldn't be killed?

And maybe Missle man is right. Maybe there should be a provision that only allows for first trimester abortions. That would still be fair I think.

I posted this but nobody bit. So here it is again.

Hey, I'm not the one using profanity to get my point across. Has anybody here taken a good look at the human race recently? As ugly as it may be, "abortions of convenience" are the right of anyone who doesn't want to have a kid.

And if morning after pills were more widely used, there would be less abortions. Who disagrees?

kurtsprincess said:
I support the death penalty.
I support euthenasia for all living beings.
I support eliminating terrorists.
I do not support abortions for convenience sake.

In other words, you support killing everbody, huh? :funnyface

Forum List

Back