Kill the innocent, but not the guilty?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Abbey Normal, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Simple question, based on debates in a couple of other threads:

Why are so many libs all for killing unborn babies and the terminally ill, but they can't handle killing armed terrorists and murderers on death row? Put another way, why is killing the innocent right, and killing the guilty, wrong?
    Apart from the same old arguments about "choice", etc., it seems that if you are such a pacifist that you abhor war and the death penalty, you would be even more aghast at killing the innocent.

2. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'm against the death penalty for murderers on death row because some of them might be innocent and the victims of a biased judicial system or corrupt police. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. It's happened too many times to deny. I also believe in the possibility of redemption, or the reversing of karma or whatever you want to call it. I used to be in favor of the death penalty but after much thought I changed my position.

3. MissileMan

MissileMan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I can't speak for the libs, but I believe that a woman should be allowed an abortion within the first trimester for whatever reason, including convenience, but after that she's stuck with it unless her life is in danger.

I believe that under certain circumstances and within boundaries, both ethical and moral, that euthanasia should be a medical service available to patients.

And...the only problem with the death penalty is that it isn't used often or quickly enough. And screw this needle in the arm thing...bring back public hangings, and televise them. Let some of the wannabe gangstas see someone get a knot jerked in their ass and they'll reconsider a life of crime.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Some people totally deserve the death penalty, but for the most part, I second Nuc's post. As for abortion, I never said I liked it and I'm not some blood-sucking demon who condones "the killing of the innocent." I doubt that I would ever ask a girlfriend to get an abortion, but I think that people should have the option. I don't think it's something that should be in control of the state because it's so personal and life-changing.

5. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Why? She already made one choice, when she had unprotected sex. If she got pregnant, and didn't want to be, it was a damned irresponsible choice - why should she get a "do-over" just for convenience sake? When the hell did it become the norm for people to stop taking responsibility for thier own actions?

6. Hagbard Celine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    And maybe Missle man is right. Maybe there should be a provision that only allows for first trimester abortions. That would still be fair I think.

7. Hagbard Celine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Uh, have you been living on the moon?

8. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have a valid response to make to my post, or are you just here to fling the occasional insult? If it's the latter, I'm not impressed. There are people here that are far better at it than you are.

9. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Are you saying the woman alone is responsible? Or to put it another way, what percentage of responsiblity can be divided between the man and the woman when a child is conceived because of not using birth control? Do you see it as equal or leaning towards the woman. Because the argument in favor of abortion is that the woman has a right to do what she wants with her body. The man can't force her either to abort or take it to term, but is still held legally responsible if the child is born.

10. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    IMO, the woman holds more of the responsibility, because it IS her body. She has the option of both protecting HERSELF, and insisting the guy use protection as well. The guy still holds responsibility as well, since he also has the option of preventing said pregnancy on his own.