CDZ Kids rights v Parents rights

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Not really sure if the thread title really nails what I am trying to say but.....

Several threads over the past couple of weeks that touch on parental rights and responsibiities.

Examples -

Kids getting hold of guns.

Education syllabus

School meals

Vaccinations

I am sure you could add a few more.

The arguments tend to come to a crux around the point where somebody says " My kids are my responsibility and I teach them appropriate behaviours". The message is clear and in the majority of cases not controversial in any way.

We all love our children,worry about them and want the best for them. We rightly resent any attempts to lecture us.

But what about those parents who cant,or wont, cope ?

Lets assume they also want the best for their kids but are unable to translate that into appropriate actions.

Maybe they are on drugs or ill or something. Maybe they are crazy.

So the kid isnt getting fed appropriately. Or is living in an unsafe environment.Or is being exposed to poisonous influences. By that I mean really crazy stuff and not just the normal mainstream differences that people generally have.

Where does the childs right to a decent chance in life over ride his parents right to f*ck it up ?

Child Protective Services comes in. My adopted children came from a family homeless due to addiction and domestic violence. Parents do NOT have the right to fuck up a child's life by breaking the law.

Child Protective Services comes in. My adopted children came from a family homeless due to addiction and domestic violence. Parents do NOT have the right to fuck up a child's life by breaking the law.
But where are you drawing the line ?

Fat kids being fed shite because the parents are too thick to realise they are doing damage ?

Where does the childs right to a decent chance in life over ride his parents right to f*ck it up ?

It's not a "where" it's a "when." When the child becomes an adult is my answer to your question.

No, there is of course a line.

Where that line is is a question of course, but a parent obviously can't just do anything and say "hey , my kid my decision"

For me, I'm on the fence when it comes to things like overweight kids. It IS a a damn shame when parents just don't even try to moderate their child's eating habits, don't they realize the harm they are causing.

This was a very intelligent question until it came to eating habits! A child cannot have control over its own decision until its parents allow it.

This was a very intelligent question until it came to eating habits! A child cannot have control over its own decision until its parents allow it.
That is the issue. The parents filling up the child with fat and sugar. Where does the childs right come in to this.

How does school meals fit in here?
I guess the line is legality

That is the issue. The parents filling up the child with fat and sugar. Where does the childs right come in to this.
Because a child would choose celery over a happy meal?
Let's be frank here; your position seems to be borderline totalitarian.
Who is going to go around and check what's for dinner?

There are bad parents out there. Should we allow the to abuse their kids ?

There are bad parents out there. Should we allow the to abuse their kids ?
Who are you to decide what's abuse?

Who are you to decide what's abuse?[/QUOTE] Even if they can help it, is giving a child obesity abuse or neglect? Remember obesity is a social and medical death sentence

The OP has stated that people he views as 'bigots' shouldn't be able to have or keep children, and that people he doesn't agree with are 'subhuman' and should be locked in zoos. Not sure what he's aiming for with yet another of his troll threads though.

Not really sure if the thread title really nails what I am trying to say but.....

Several threads over the past couple of weeks that touch on parental rights and responsibiities.

Examples -

Education syllabus

School meals

Vaccinations

The arguments tend to come to a crux around the point where somebody says " My kids are my responsibility and I teach them appropriate behaviours". The message is clear and in the majority of cases not controversial in any way.

We all love our children,worry about them and want the best for them. We rightly resent any attempts to lecture us.

Lets assume they also want the best for their kids but are unable to translate that into appropriate actions.

So the kid isnt getting fed appropriately. Or is living in an unsafe environment.Or is being exposed to poisonous influences. By that I mean really crazy stuff and not just the normal mainstream differences that people generally have.

This is a pretty good question as I see it as a battle between our sense of freedom (for the parents to parent in a manner of their choosing) and standardizing / enforcing our current value system / morality (regarding what we find tolerable / intolerable for parenting practices).

I'm a huge advocate for freedom over almost anything else so, in cases where there is a real "grey area" or a lot of debate I would argue we should take a hands off approach. However, in areas that are relatively black and white or not debatable we should absolutely step in. For instance, if we found out that some parent practice pedophilia with their children, I don't think anybody would argue against both taking the children away and prosecuting the parent for their actions. I'd also argue that we should do the same with vaccinations or the usage of real medical aid rather than homebrew remedies. The reason is that it is pretty much no debate about those topics (from people in the medical field, who make it their profession to examine such issues).

On the other hand, if you had a parent that was sitting around and spanking their child or teaching them creationism (an aspect of their religious beliefs)...should we step in there? I'd argue no. There is still a lot of debate about whether or not you should spank your child (which I'm in favor of for young ages) or teach them creationism (which I personally think is absurd).

There's a different between bad parents and child abusers. That phrase itself is stretchy.
I think that there is a grey area where the two collide.
We have had several high profile cases in the UK where kids have died and the Social Services have been heavily criticised for not intervening. There have also been cases where they have been criticised for stepping in. Its a bit of a no win situation for them.

The cases vary from druggy parents who just couldnt do the job, to outright sadists who were getting a kick out of and then religious nuts who were beating the devil out of their kids.

I think that when a teacher or doctor notices a kid is obese, or undersized or is always cut and bruised then they have a duty to report it up. I think that the childs welfare outweighs any parental rights.

With things like creationism, or holocaust denial or racism its where the grey area looms large.

The parents could be total loons but their kids will still love them. I dont think that schools,for example should accommodate these views. They should be taught evolution and that the holocaust happened.

Britains leading Nazi lives a few miles from here. He is the son of the leading Nazi of his generation and his daughter recently stood as a BNP candidate whilst barely out of her teens. Both son, and his daughter, are examples of parental abuse in my opinion. Society picks up the tab for this shite. What to do about it is another matter and I dont have an answer.

Examples -

Education syllabus

School meals

Vaccinations

What is UK policy? Can you locate it online?

I have to assume the UK has a pretty set policy that seeks to balance that.

Forum List

Back